Title and statement of responsibility area
19th Alberta Dragoons fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- 19th Alberta Dragoons
Physical description area
291 photographic prints, 0.30 m. of textual records, and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The 19th Alberta Dragoons had its beginning on December 1, 1905, when three independent squadrons of the Canadian Mounted Rifles were organized. These included "A" squadron at Edmonton, "B" at Strathcona, and "C" at Fort Saskatchewan. It thus became one of the early militia groups in the province. A fourth squadron was established at St. Albert in 1907 and in the following year the government designated it as "a four squadron regiment" named the "19th Alberta Mounted Rifles". The four squadrons then received the well known title of 19th Alberta Dragoons on January 3, 1911. The 19th Alberta Dragoons and the Alberta Mounted Rifles were amalgamated on February 16, 1936 as the 19th Alberta Dragoons. On April 1, 1946, the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 101st Regiment Edmonton Fusiliers were amalgamated and redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers)". It was further redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment" on February 4, 1949, "19th Alberta Dragoons (19th Armoured Car Regiment)" on November 1, 1954, and back to "19th Alberta Dragoons" on May 19, 1958. During the First World War, (1914-1919) the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in France and Flanders. During the Second World War (1939-1945), the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in the Reserve Army.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of photographs, correspondence, minutes, regulations, an original oil painting and other material regarding the 19th Alberta Dragoons. Also includes photographs of the men and activities of the 101st Regiment Edmonton Fusiliers. Some circuit photographs and oversize photographs are included in the fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
19th Alberta Dragoons, Edmonton Militia Garrison; and anonymous.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
None. Copyright on photographs and painting.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
inventory for PR1965.23.
Further accruals are expected.
Material related to this fonds may be located in the following accessions: PR1965.64, PR1970.481, PR1974.14, PR1978.304, PR1987.342, PR1993.392, PR1998.408.<br><br>
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- 19th Alberta Dragoons (Subject)