Showing 142 results

Authority record
University of Alberta Archives Corporate body

Academic Women's Association

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

After three years of informal meetings, the Academic Women's Association was formally begun in 1975 to encourage implementation of the recommendations of the University of Alberta Senate's Task Force on the Status of Women. The purpose of the association is to foster collegiality among academic women, to promote and encourage equal opportunities for women in university affairs, and to provide a forum and a mechanism for affirmative action for women at the university. The original name, Academic Women's Association of Alberta, was designed to provide an incorporated body under which branches from Alberta universities could function.

National Film Board of Canada

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

As part of its mandate to initiate and promote the production and distribution of films in the national interest, the NFB produced China Mission, a documentary film on the life of Chester A. Ronning (1892-1984), a Canadian diplomat from Alberta who spent his early life in China with his missionary parents. During World War II the NFB documented the University's contributions to the war effort in a series of photographs.

United Nurses of Alberta. Local 196

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The United Nurses of Alberta is the union of over 18,000 Registered Nurses, Registered Psychiatric Nurses and Mental Health Workers in Alberta. Since 1977, the UNA has negotiated contracts and represented the Alberta workforce in grievances, arbitrations and inquiries. Professional staff assist with contract enforcement and patient care concerns. The UNA also serves as an advocate for universal public health care. In August 1995, the Edmonton Board of Health Staff Nurses Association became UNA Local 196. UNA Local 196 represents nurses working in the Capital Health Region (Edmonton).

Universities Coordinating Council

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Universities Coordinating Council was created with the Universities Act of 1966. It consists of representatives from each Alberta university: the President and Vice-President (Academic), two Deans, two academic staff members appointed by the General Faculties Council, and three academic staff members appointed by the Coordinating Council. The Council can inquire, investigate, recommend and advise on any matter that affects all the members; it can set the terms of affiliation with colleges and entrance requirements from colleges to the universities. The Council also has authority over the administration of professional examinations. The University Act, as revised in 1910, provided the University of Alberta with the power to arrange with the incorporated professional associations or societies in the province which had the legislated right to prescribe examinations for candidates applying for registration in such societies, to administer and conduct the examinations, appoint examiners, and report results to the societies. Any incorporated professional society could apply for such arrangements, or administer its own examinations and accreditation procedures. Between 1942 and 1955 the responsibility for overseeing the examinations was held by the General Faculties Council at the University; between 1955 and1966 GFC delegated this authority to the Board of Examiners of each profession. The substantial reorganization of higher education under the Universities Act of 1966 created the Universities Coordinating Council, which received jurisdiction over the conditions of entrance to cooperating learned professions and callings.

University of Alberta. Department of Drama.

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Studio Theatre was established in 1949 as a place for Drama Division students to practice their craft and hone their skills. Staff of the Drama Division of the Department of Fine Arts operated the Theatre, and early participants included Robert Orchard, Gordon Peacock, Bert Pullinger, Frank Glenfield, Elizabeth Sterling Haynes, Don Pimm, and Tom Peacocke. The Theatre site was located in two deserted Second World War Quonset huts. The Quonset huts, placed side by side, contained between them a stage, auditorium, workshop, drama offices, and foyer. The first play produced on the Quonset stage was Henry IV, and for the next eight seasons over forty full-act plays, numerous one-act plays, two world premieres, and six Canadian premieres were produced on the Quonset Studio Theatre stage. The Quonset huts were torn down in 1958, and Studio Theatre was offered auditorium and classroom space in the Education Building (E.A. Corbett Hall). Studio Theatre occupied this space through to June 1989, winding up its 40th season anniversary with Michael Frayn's Benefactor just prior to the closing of Corbett Hall for renovations on June 17, 1989. Studio Theatre then operated from the Myer Horowitz stage and, in 1995, moved to its new home in the newly opened Timms Centre. Studio Theatre celebrated its 50th anniversary of operation in the spring of 1999, and continues in the present to provide Edmonton audiences with a varied and unique theatre experience.

University of Alberta. Alumni Association

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Alumni Association, formed in 1915, confers automatic lifetime membership, without fee, on every graduate of the University. It reviews programs, provides advice and support to the University and is represented on the Board of Governors and the Senate. A president is elected each year to head the Council; the President of the University is an honorary member, and the presidents of the Students' Union and the Graduate Students' Association are ex officio members of the Council. Branches of the Association have been formed throughout the world and their representatives also sit on the Council. Graduates from the professional schools (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Business, Nursing, Education, Forestry) can join special associations which promote the welfare of their Faculty under the aegis of the general Alumni Association. Elected secretaries kept the Association's records from 1915 to 1926. Geoffrey B. Taylor, Assistant Registrar, provided his unpaid services as Secretary from 1926 to 1946. A full-time paid position was established in that year. The purpose of the Alumni Affairs Office, headed by a Director, is to provide professional administrative management and support to the Association, and to oversee alumni involvement with the University. While it may be possible to distinguish between the activities of the Association and the Office, and between some of the papers of each, because the two are so intertwined and because the Office provides all of the administrative support necessary for the functioning of the Association, the Archives has combined the records in this description. Secretaries: 1946-1947 John Clemence Gordon Brown; 1947-1951 John William Evans Markle; 1951-1977 Alex Gilmour Markle

University of Alberta Area Transportation Study. Citizens' Advisory Committee

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Committee was formed to advise the consultants commissioned jointly by the University of Alberta, the University of Alberta Hospital, and the City of Edmonton to assess the transportation needs and problems of the University area, and to develop an appropriate transportation plan. Representatives from the communities adjacent to the University participated in the study.

University of Alberta. Board of Governors

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Board of Governors is a corporation which consists of a Chair appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, the Chancellor, the President, and persons appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, who include representatives from the Alumni Association, the Senate, the academic and non-academic staff, undergraduate and graduate students, and the general public. The conduct, management, and control of the University and all its property, revenue, business, and affairs are vested in the Board. The Board appoints the deans of all faculties, all members of the teaching staff, the Librarian, the Registrar, and all members of the administrative staff, but no one may be appointed to a senior administrative post or to the academic staff of the University unless first nominated by the President of the University. The Board provides for the maintenance of buildings and the erection of new buildings. It has authority to purchase and acquire property. It fixes the fees charged for courses and it makes financial provision for the establishment of new faculties, departments, and courses. It may establish extension programs to contribute to the educational and cultural advancement of the people of Alberta. When any question arises as to the powers or duties of the Senate, any other University body, the President, a dean, or any other officer or employee, and these powers and duties are not definitely provided for in the Universities Act, the Board's decision on the question is final (Calendar, 1990/91). The Board was created by the University Act (1910) which was modelled on the Ontario statute which created the University of Toronto. Chairs: 1911-1917 Edwin Charles Pardee; 1917-1940 Horace Harvey; 1940-1950 Harold Hayward Parlee; 1950-1966 Charles Malcolm Macleod; 1966-1972 John Edward Bradley; 1972-1975 Fred T. Jenne; 1975-1978 Eric A. Geddes; 1978-1990 John Schlosser; 1990- Stanley A. Milner. Executive Directors: 1911-1968 University Bursar; 1968-[1979] John Nicol; 1979-1984 Brian J. Silzer; 1984- Paul Robison.

University of Alberta. Campus Security

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Campus Security is charged with the protection and security of University personnel, property and equipment, and has assumed responsibility for parking services at certain times during its history. As early as 1912 a watchman was employed, and this position was maintained until at least 1952. After that time it appears that maintenance personnel in various buildings served as ad hoc watchmen and a City Police officer was assigned to the campus. During the mid-1960s a Campus Patrol existed under the purview of Physical Plant. In 1969 this group was replaced by the Campus Security Force, reporting to the Vice-President (Finance and Administration). The word "Force" was deleted from the name in 1977 when a major reorganization of security procedures occurred (PACCR, 1982). Directors: 1968-[1976] Charles A. Breakey; 1977-1985 W.F. Gordon Perry; 1985- Douglas M.J. Langevin.

University of Alberta Cancer Research Group (McEachern Laboratory)

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Named after Calgary physician John S. McEachern, the McEachern Cancer Research Laboratory was initially funded by the Alberta division of the Canadian Cancer Society. In 1959 it was officially designated a cancer research centre, and after an extensive renovation that improved its biochemical facilities four years later, was renamed the University of Alberta Cancer Research Unit (later Group). Located in the Medical Sciences Building, it undertakes research supported by the National Cancer Institute, the Medical Research Council, and the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research. Senior staff members hold joint appointments with the departments of Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Directors: [1953-1962] R. Cameron Harrison ; 1962-1971 Alan Robb Phillips Paterson; 1972- 1980 Gerald Alan LePage; 1981-1983 Larry W. Brox (Acting); 1984-1990 Alan Robb Phillips Paterson. Coordinators: 1990- Carol E. Cass.

Results 1 to 10 of 142