Jared E. Brown was born in St. Mary’s, Ontario on April 16th, 1888. His father was Elisha Brown and his mother, Margaret (nee Crone) farmed there raising five girls and four boys; two other children died from diphtheria. Jared came west in 1906 on a harvest train as far as Humboldt, SK and then went back east for the winter. In 1907, he came west again to the Cummings district, 23 miles south of Vermilion, where he homesteaded. He broke 60 acres with oxen and walking plough for himself and neighbours in one year. For several years during the winter months he worked in Edmonton hauling coal from the river flats to homes and businesses. The first homestead was a sod house; he then built a wood-frame building in 1916-1917. He married Phoebe Dorey on September 10, 1913. Phoebe was daughter of Richard and Caroline (nee Dairyman) Dorey, born March 8, 1881 in Dorset, England. Three of Phoebe’s brothers, a sister and the sister’s husband homesteaded in the Clandonald district, about 30 miles north of Vermilion. Phoebe kept house for her brothers and worked at a stopping house until her marriage to Jared. Jared and Phoebe owned and farmed a quarter and leased another quarter in the Cummings district where their two sons, Eric and Nelson, were born. In 1923, they sold everything and spent the summer in Oregon; coming back to Alberta that fall. Jared visited the Land Titles Office where there were two quarters of land available; one in Sangudo and one in the George Lake district. He went to the railway station and caught the first train which happened to be going to Athabasca and that is how the family came to the area. They moved in October, 1923. Jared bought a stationary engine and did custom wood sawing and grain grinding throughout the district for many years. Working for $1.00/hour, he supplied the engine, crusher, saw and labour with a team of horses and a bob sleigh. The family moved to Meanook, Alberta in 1925 where he farmed with his sons raising purebred shorthorn cattle until Jared’s death in 1975. Jared also took out a dealership for the Oliver Farm Machinery Company in 1937 and ran it until 1963. Adapted from “Colinton & Districts: Yesterday and Today,” c. 1980. A note from Jared’s obituary in the Athabasca Echo indicates that he was one of the original signers of the Alberta Wheat Pool.