Showing 282 results

Authority record
Family

Armstrong family

  • SPRA-0632
  • Family
  • Unknown

Susan Maria Whitman was born January 1, 1861 in Guelph, Ontario to parents John Whitman and Matilda Burkholder. At the age of 16 she married Thomas Blair Armstrong the son of Irish immigrant parents William Armstrong and Elizabeth Blair. Thomas was born May 14, 1851 in Mono, Ontario and he and Susan married April 28, 1877 in Wiarton, Bruce Co. Ontario. Thomas and Susan settled in Albemarle which was fairly remote and this is where their ten children were born. The children were: Frederick John (b.1877); Victoria Matilda (b.1879); Rueben Matthew (b.1881); Mary Louise (b.1883); Thomas Ashford (b.1885); Samuel Leo (b.1889); Gertrude Ruth (b.1891); David Edward (b.1896); Dessie Lavina (b.1898) and Ila Irene (b.1901). The family’s main source of income was farming and much time was spent clearing the land of the numerous trees in North Ontario.
Thomas Armstrong became ill and passed away April 12, 1914 at the family home located on Lot 21 Con. 1 and he is buried in Red Bay, Bruce Co., Ontario. The following year family decided to head west, Ed and Leo were sent ahead to file on the homestead, Sec 35-T72-R11 W6 west of Grande Prairie was the location chosen and the boys returned to Ontario. The Armstrong family by this time had been reduced in size as many of the older children had married or moved west. 1916, was the year of the big move, Ed, Leo, their mother Susan and sisters Ila and Dessie loaded their supplies and traveled to the end of the rail line in Grande Prairie. Once in there it took them four days to travel to their homestead near Hythe, Alberta.
Thomas Ashford Armstrong had been living in Arcola, Saskatchewan, where he farmed with Whitman relatives. It was here that he met and married Frances Murray and in 1917 they too joined the family in Hythe.
David Edward "Ed" was drafted in March of 1918, to serve in the war but was discharged months later as the war had ended. Dessie married Aubrey Hawkesworth at the Armstrong place on January 1, 1919 and moved to his homestead not too far away.
In 1920, Leo Armstrong was "rushed" by horse and wagon to Lake Saskatoon to see a Doctor, the family story is that Leo's hair had turned whilte due to the pain he was in. Leo's appendix had burst and he didn't survive, he is buried in Mountainside Cemetery. Thomas, his brother took over his homestead on Sec 2 T73 R 11 W6.
This is about the time that Susan and Ed started a boarding house in Hythe purchasing the Halfway House from Maurice Shapiro. Ed married Evelyn Everton on Nov.16, 1922 and they moved out to the farm.
In 1927 Ila and Susan left for Edmonton where Susan continued to run a boarding house. Ila married James M. Murray. Ila and James settled in Three Hills, Alberta and worked at the Prairie Bible Institute. When Ila’s mother Susan was unable to continue with her boarding house she too went to Three Hills where she lived until her passing in 1946. Susan is buried in the Three Hills Cemetery.
Thomas and Susan’s children ended up in various places throughout Canada.
Frederick John Armstrong married Henrietta Cooney of the famous Cooney family of Tranquille, B.C. They lived in Kamloops, B.C. After Henrietta passed away Fred married Audrey Hunter Carrall.
Victoria Matilda Armstrong ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬John Crawford Hodgson who passed away in 1919 and she then married Robert Clyde Settle and they lived in Victoria, B.C.
Rueben Matthew Armstrong moved to Arcola, Saskatchewan and it is unknown what happened to him.
Mary Louise Armstrong married John Nelson Armstrong and lived in Barrie, Simcoe Co., Ontario.
Thomas Ashford Armstrong married Frances Murray and lived near Hythe.
Gertrude Ruth Armstrong married Charles Clayton and stayed in Ontario.
David Edward married Evelyn Everton and stayed in the Hythe area.
Dessie Lavina married Aubrey Hawkesworth and lived near Hythe.
Ila Armstrong married James Murray and they lived in Three Hills, Alberta.

Bagnall family

  • SPRA-0625
  • Family
  • Unknown

Herbert Bagnall was born in Prince Edward Island on December 3, 1880. His wife, Lucy (Lowe) Bagnall was born in Nova Scotia on December 10, 1882. They both graduated from Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, and Herbert went on to complete his training in Boston. After they were married, on September 8, 1909, they served at the Heath Baptist Church in Calgary. In 1912, they were asked by Rev. Colin McLaurin, in charge of Baptist missions in Alberta, to go up to the Peace River country to open a church and farm in a Baptist community.

Herbert and Lucy set out for the Peace Country in May 1912, traveling in a "Prairie Schooner", a wagon with a canvas top. In it was a spring and mattress, a small stove, a rocking chair, a telescope organ, their clothing trunk, a .22 rifle, a keg of nails, and enough food for 6 months. They took the wagon with a team of horses up from Okotoks to Athabasca Landing and over the Long Trail to Grouard, where they left most of their load while they decided where the church should be established. At Waterhole, they met with a Baptist homesteader, D.M. Kennedy, and together went on to the Grande Prairie district.

Finding a number of Baptist settlers near Saskatoon Lake, the Bagnalls decided to start there. The first Sunday service was at the home of the Cranstons, where they were joined by the Van Schaick family, and the Roberts. The Bagnalls filed on the NE 5-72-7-W6th, east of Lake Saskatoon, and prepared to homestead. They built an 18 x 23 ft. log cabin with sod roof, lumber door and floor, and two windows. Herbert then returned to Edmonton for more supplies, two yoke of oxen, a piano and building material for the church. He returned with Frank Lowe, Lucy's brother, who came up to help with the farm work. In May 1913, Lucy had their second child, a son Herbert. Their first child, born September 26, 1911, died as an infant.

In the winter of 1912-1913 Bill Sharp and Rev. Bagnall took out logs to build a church and a second house. The church was built by volunteer labour at Hermit Lake, about three miles from the Bagnall homestead. The congregation included a choir of men including Bill and Alf Field, Wilfred Trimming, the McLevin brothers, and G. Cranston. There was also a Baptist Ladies' Aid of eight members and an active Sunday School. Under the leadership of the Bagnalls, a Baptist Church was also built at Deep Creek, east of Grande Prairie, in 1915; and another in Clairmont in 1916. This church included a manse where the Bagnalls lived in 1916.

The Bagnalls were supported by the Baptist (Missions?) Board at $100 per month until June 1916. In the summer of 1915, they had travelled about 1000 miles in their buckboard with their two-year-old son campaigning for the temperance vote, and were gratified to have the Peace River district vote for temperance in 1916. When the Baptist Board was no longer able to provide support, Rev. Bagnall took a position with the Temperance Union, and the family moved first to Nelson, then to Medicine Hat. In 1916, their second child, Marjorie, was born.

In 1920 Herbert Bagnall was killed in an automobile accident. Lucy and the children moved back to Calgary where she went back to teaching high school and writing curriculum texts, including one called "Contemporary Problems, National, Imperial and International."

Baker, Margaret K. (Peggy)

  • Ath Baker
  • Family
  • Present

Margaret K. Baker (Peggy) is a resident of the Town of Athabasca, Alberta.

Baltzan (family)

  • jhse
  • Family

Jacob A. Baltzan was born in Leova, Bessarabia in 1873. After serving with the Russian Army, Mr. Baltzan immigrated to New York. His wife, Nina (Gershcovitz) and daughters Katie and Tosha joined him later in America. Dissatisfied with New York City, Mr. Baltzan moved the family to a Jewish pioneer colony near Lipton, Saskatchewan. Due to poor crops at the colony, the Baltzan's moved to Govan, Saskatchewan until finally settling in Edmonton. Once in Edmonton, Jacob Baltzan became actively involved in the city's burgeoning Jewish community, helping to establish the burial society Chevra Kadisha in 1913, and was a major force in the founding of Edmonton's Talmud Torah Day School, the first Hebrew Day School in Canada. Nina Baltzan was the founder of the Talmud Torah Mother's Auxiliary, was one of the founders of the Edmonton Section of the National Council of Jewish Women and the Ladies Chevra Kadisha. The Baltzan's had one son Hy, born in Edmonton in 1913. Through his activities in various Jewish organizations, Hy Baltzan would become one of the most prominent members of the Edmonton Jewish community. Hy Baltzan was president of B'nai Brith Lodge 732 and the Jewish Community Council, national and regional vice-president of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Founding president of the Jewish Senior Citizen's Drop-in Centre, chairman of the Community Council Archives, and served on the executive of several other community organizations. Hy Baltzan was Negev Dinner honouree in 1976. Hy Baltzan and his wife Celia had three daughters, Mrs. Jaclyn Schulman, Mrs. Gail Schloss, and Nina Baltzan.

Basilici (family)

  • glen-204
  • Family
  • 1879-1966

Elisabet Hirth, 1879-1966, was born in Munich, Germany. She married Freiherr Gustav von Rummel-Waldau in 1896 and they had three daughters, Elisabet "Lizzie", 1897-1980, Johanna "Jane" (Fisher) and Eugenie "Nina" (Rodgers). The children's surname was Rummel. Elisabet divorced Gustav in 1902, was married to Dr. Fritz Weinmann from 1902 to 1904, and in 1908 married Roberto Basilici, ?-1929. In 1911 Elisabet and Roberto purchased the Gates Ranch near Kew, Alberta. Roberto served in Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) from 1915 to 1918, and he and Elisabet divorced in 1925. The family were very active in local organizations including the North Fork Stock Association. Lizzie is the subject of Lizzie Rummel, Baroness of the Canadian Rockies / Ruth Oltmann. - Exshaw, Alberta : Ribbon Creek Publishing, 1983.

Bate (family)

  • glen
  • Family

Arthur E. Bate, 1872-1940, was born in Detroit, Michigan, USA and raised in Ontario. He came west in 1892 and worked near Fort Steele, British Columbia, and then on southern Alberta cattle ranches. In 1898 he married Laura E. Waters, ?-1942, and after several moves they settled on Frenchman River in southwestern Saskatchewan near Shaunavon. The Bates had seven children, Joe, Jim, Abram, Bill, Bessie (White), John, and Tom. Abram and John took over the ranch from their father in 1937. The Bates were Mormons.

Beavers (family)

  • glen-216
  • Family
  • 1885-1973

Roy H. Beavers, 1885-1968, born in Kansas, USA, worked the carnival circuit from 1903-1908. In 1909 he married Evelyn "Lina" Gertrude Shirley, ?-1973. They emigrated to Calgary in 1911 and opened the Club Cafe the same year. By 1929 they and an associate, Reuben Ward, had formed Restaurants Limited which consisted of seven restaurants and a bakery. Roy and Evelyn had three sons, Albert Edwin, 1912-2000, Gordon Henry, 1915-1973, and Jack L. ca. 1923-. Gordon and Albert joined the family business. In 1942 the Club Cafe was sold, and in 1948 the Beavers took on catering for the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede Board. Later they also ran a catering service. The family business was sold after Roy's death. Roy was a moving force behind the Calgary Booster Club and the Calgary Stampeder Football Club. He was associate director of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede and a member of the Al Azhar Temple, as well as many other organizations. Evelyn was involved with the American Woman's Club of Calgary, and Albert went to the Alberta Boys' Parliament as a child.

Belcourt (family)

  • glen-227
  • Family
  • fl. 1870s-1930s

The Belcourt family were early residents of the important Metis settlement at St. Albert, Alberta. Louisa Belcourt, whose parents were John Rowland and Sophy Chastellaine, married George Fraser ca. 1904 and they had four children. She was married a second time to John Belcourt ca. 1908 and they had six children. In the 1980s, Walter and Albert Belcourt, sons of Louisa and John, were still living on the original river lot of their grandparents.

Bell (family)

  • glen-3644
  • Family
  • fl. 1910s-1950s

Thomas Bell and his wife Emma Bell (née Ray), from Belleview, Manitoba, settled at Millerfield, an isolated district north of the Red Deer River near Dorothy, Alberta, in 1910. They had six children, Raymond C., Aubrey T., Marjorie, Leslie, Mildred, and Marion. Raymond and Aubrey served in France during the First World War; Aubrey was missing in action in 1917 and was eventually declared dead. In 1919 Thomas and Emma retired to Victoria, B.C., and Raymond took over the family farm. He married Mary Lawson of Dorothy, and they had four children. They moved to a ranch in the Wintering Hills. In 1942 they moved to a grain farm near Carstairs, Alberta, and eventually retired to Victoria. Leslie became a geologist. Marjorie, Mildred, and Marion all married and eventually all settled on Vancouver Island. For further information, see Raymond Bell's article "Millerfield and the Bell family", pp. 192-211 in: The grass roots of Dorothy, 1895-1970 / compiled and edited by Hazel B. Roen. -- Dorothy, Alta. : published by the Dorothy community, 1971.

Results 11 to 20 of 282