Showing 28 results

Authority record
Red Deer and District Archives

City of Red Deer Projects section

  • RED-15
  • Corporate body
  • 2005 -

The Projects section was formed in 2005 to manage the Recreation Centre renovation project. It was then maintained as an administrative department overseeing projects and asset management for the Community Services division at the City of Red Deer. The Projects section reports to the Community Services division.

City of Red Deer Recreation section

  • RED-13
  • Corporate body
  • 1951 -

As a precursor to the Recreation section, the Red Deer Athletic Association was formed in 1945 as a volunteer society with the mandate to organize sports and recreational activities and facilities in Red Deer. In October 1951, the functions moved to the Red Deer Recreation Commission who was funded and supported by the City of Red Deer.

In 1970, the responsibility moved from the City Commissioner to the Director of Finance and Services (City Treasurer). During this period, the Waskasoo Urban Park Project was a primary focus.

In 1985, the Community Services directorate was created, taking responsibility for Recreation, Parks, and Family and Community Support Services departments. Within this structure, in 1985 the Recreation Board changed to the Recreation and Parks Board, although the departments stayed separate.

In 1988, the Recreation department became the Recreation and Culture department, which oversaw the Recreation section and the Culture section at the City of Red Deer. In 1995, the department was again revised to the Recreation, Parks, and Culture department. The department continued to oversee the Recreation section and its various business units and reported to the renamed Community Services division.

City of Red Deer Wastewater Treatment Plant section

  • RED-6
  • Corporate body
  • 1961 -

The Wastewater Treatment Plant was created at the City of Red Deer in 1961 due to a demand from the Provincial Department of Health to install a secondary sewage treatment facility in order to minimize impacts on oxygen levels of the Red Deer river. The facility had a significant expansion and overhaul beginning in 1978.

The Wastewater Treatment Plant was managed by Public Works from its founding, who in turn reported to the City Engineer and other areas. The funding for the system moved from Public Works to Utilities in 1963. In 1995, Engineering Services was renamed Development Services. In 2006, Wastewater Treatment moved to report under the Environmental Services department.

Regional wastewater commissions started in 2005 which have had some impact on the City of Red Deer Wastewater Treatment Plant.

City of Red Deer, Recreation, Parks, and Culture department

  • RED-14
  • Corporate body
  • 1995 -

The Recreation, Parks, and Culture department was formed in 1995 as an administrative department overseeing the Recreation, Culture, Parks, and Projects sections at the City of Red Deer. The Recreation, Parks, and Culture department reports to the Community Services division.

Dixon, Margaret

  • RED
  • Person

Margaret Dixon, 1905-1972, was born in the Horn Hill district near Red Deer, Alberta to Robert Dixon and Emily Harding Dixon, recent immigrants from Durham, England. She was educated in Penhold and at the University of Alberta; she was a teacher at the Raven and Markerville schools in central Alberta. In 1933, Margaret Dixon was left a quadriplegic after an accident. She learned to write, paint and knit by mouth. She died in Red Deer and is buried in the Horn Hill Cemetery.

Earle, Herbert

  • RED
  • Person
  • 1884-1975

Herbert Earle, 1884-1975, was born in England. He studied art and design at the Bolt Court Institute of Lithographic Art in London and qualified as a master engraver. In 1909 he married Adeliza Rhoda Wheatley, and they had six daughters, Ruby (McMullin), Eva (Clapham), Doris (Curtis), Louise (Sales), Lucy (McGee), and Adela (Anderson). He served with a militia regiment in London, and served in Burma during the First World War. After his discharge in 1920 he joined his wife and family, who were already living in Calgary, Alberta, and bought The Engraving Company there. He was accomplished as an engraver, calligrapher, illustrator, and graphic designer. He was also active in the theatrical scene in Calgary, and taught theatre arts at the Banff School of Fine Arts.

Friends of the Sunnybrook Farm Museum

  • RED 26
  • Corporate body
  • 1997-Ongoing

The Friends of Sunnybrook Farm Museum operates and administers the Sunnybrook Farm Museum in Red Deer, Alberta. The Society manages the collections and buildings at the Sunnybrook Farm site. On behalf of the Society, the Sunnybrook Farm Museum acquires, manages, preserves and makes accessible artifacts that represent rural life in Central Alberta, circa 1880-1950.

The collection is displayed and stored in historic and specially constructed buildings on the original Bower farm site within the City of Red Deer. This site was initially operating under the name Bower Homestead Museum prior to renaming as Sunnybrook Farm Museum in 1989. Agricultural and rural history is presented to the public through displays, guided tours, special events, day programs, and an educational component with a curriculum-recognized school program, primarily during the summer months.

There are close connections between Sunnybrook Farm, the Red Deer & District Museum Society, and the Museums Management Board. The proposal to develop a "Homestead Museum" on the Norman Bower property was initiated by the Museums Management Board. After it was started, the president of the Red Deer & District Museum Society was an automatic member of the Society Board of Directors. As well, prior to June 2012 the Red Deer & District Museum Society was the legal owner of the land, buildings, and all artefacts collected until 1996 at Sunnybrook Farm.

George, Henry (family)

  • red

Henry George, 1864-1932, was born at Kirton-in-Lindsay, Lincolnshire, England, studied medicine at St. Bartholomew's, and qualified as a physician in 1887. He married Barbara Mary Bernard, 1867-1936, in 1888. They emigrated to Calgary, N.W.T., where Mary's father W. L. Bernard had begun a law practice, in 1889. Dr. George entered into a partnership with Dr. Neville Lindsay, then moved to Innisfail, N.W.T. to establish his own practice in 1893. Henry and Barbara collected First Nations artifacts, natural history specimens, and a wide variety of other items, and opened their collection to the public as the Innisfail Museum. Barbara was an amateur artist who, according to family legend, designed the Alberta coat of arms. Henry and Barbara founded the Alberta Natural History Society in 1906. They moved to Red Deer, Alberta, along with the museum, in 1907. They retired to Victoria, B.C. in 1922, and the museum artifacts became the nucleus of the Calgary Public Museum. They had eleven children who survived infancy: Henry Bernard, Charles Llewellyn, Ernest Scudamore, Desmond St. Clair, Freederick Morton, Barbara Mary Kathleen "Molly" (Macdonald), Norah Hellen (Heeney), Vivian Lizette (Gray), Henriette Caroline Alice (Day), William Godfrey Septimus, and Yule Christine Helliwell

McMullen (family)

  • RED
  • Family

Joseph Reid McMullen, 1855-1942, was born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario, a son of Robert Clinton McMullen, fl. 1850, a notary public and coroner in that city. He married Mary Elizabeth Bradley in 1880. They had four children: Frank, ?-1935, Lillian, 1895-1896, Claude, ?-1916, and Louis, ?-1951. In 1896 the family left Port Arthur, Ontario after the death of Lillian and moved west. They finally settled in Calgary, Alberta in 1912, where Joseph became a soap company salesman. After the death of Louis, her husband, Ruby E. McMullen, 1911-1989, moved to Red Deer to reside with her daughter and granddaughter

Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society

  • RED
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-2008

The Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society was formed in 1989 to manage, operate and maintain the Red Deer and District Museum and other facilities for the benefit of the citizens of the City of Red Deer. Their society founding documents note that the facilities they maintain are to be "chiefly carried out on lands which are owned by the City of Red Deer."

This organization took over the functions previously conducted by the Museums Management Board, which existed from 1982 until 1989. Other functions included distributing funds and financial support to the Central Alberta Historical Society, Red Deer Museum Society, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, Fort Normandeau, and Sunnybrook Farm Museum.

Results 11 to 20 of 28