Mostrando 23624 resultados

Persona/organización

Hall, Jim

  • glen-3237
  • Persona
  • 1937-

James Richard "Jim" Hall, 1937- , was born in Revelstoke, British Columbia. He and his family moved to Fernie, British Columbia in 1940; and to Millet, Alberta in 1953. During high school at age 16, Jim joined the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (RCAC) in Wetaskiwin, Alberta. The following year, he trained and received his private pilot's licence at the Edmonton Flying Club through the RCAC Flying Scholarship Plan. At age 19, Jim received his commercial pilot's license and worked as a bush pilot until he was 21. He then left flying as a full-time occupation to enter a career as an Air Traffic Controller. His first posting was at the Calgary International Airport in 1959. In 1983, Jim took up aerial photography as a hobby which he decided to pursue as a second career after retiring in 1985. He set up a business called Hallmark Photos with an office in Jet Air hangar #59 at the Calgary International Airport. He purchased a medium-format (Pentax 6x7) camera, and developed a camera grip with a cable release which allowed him to both fly the plane and shoot the photographs. Customers from manufacturing, oil, construction, government, and the City of Calgary used his aerial photographs to market and promote tourism, industry, real estate, the film industry and development in Alberta and Canada. A montage of his photos was used for an official Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games poster called the "Aerial Venue". Jim retired again to the interior of British Columbia where he is doing digital photography.

Gilpin, John

John Gilpin is a historian who has completed many research projects on the history of Edmonton. His published works include <i>A Century of Enterprise</i> and <i>Edmonton: Gateway to the North</i>.

Vernon-Wood, Tex

Nello "Tex" Vernon-Wood, 1882-1978, was a guide and outfitter, national park warden and writer at Banff, Alberta, Canada and area. He came to Canada, ca.1900, and lived at Medicine Hat, Alberta until 1905. After working a short time on a horse ranch, Vernon-Wood came to Banff to work as a guide for Jim Brewster, for whom he worked for eight summers. After working for the National Park warden service beginning in 1915, Vernon-Wood went into the guiding business for himself, working out of the Lake Louise area. One of his major clients was Charles Walcott, Director of the Smithsonian Institute. Vernon-Wood wrote numerous stories for American sporting magazines, the best-known being the "Pipestone Letters," published in Hunting and Fishing magazine beginning in 1935. Following his guiding career, Vernon-Wood established a boys camp in the Windermere Valley and worked for Kootenay National Park

MacBride Museum

The MacBride Museum is named in honour of William D. MacBride, the founder of the Yukon Historical Society (YHS) and the first curator of the museum. Mr. MacBride came to the Yukon in 1914 to work for the White Pass & Yukon Route and remained in Whitehorse until 1961. The YHS was established in 1950 with Fred Arnot as the first President and William D. MacBride as Secretary-Treasurer. It began operating the Whitehorse Museum in the log Government Telegraph Office building on 1st Ave in Whitehorse in 1952. The present museum was built on the corner of 1st Ave. and Wood Street as a centennial project and opened in 1967 as the W.D. MacBride Centennial Museum. The YHS divided into the MacBride Museum Association and the Yukon Historical and Museums Association in 1977. In 1985 the MacBride Museum hired its first full time paid curator/director. Function: The mandate of the museum is to collect and preserve artifacts depicting the human and natural history of the Yukon. It is managed by a volunteer board of directors and a curator/director. Funding for the museum comes from the Yukon government, the City of Whitehorse, and private donors.

McCalla, William Copeland

William Copeland McCalla was born November 8, 1872 in St. Catharines, Ontario. He grew up in St. Catharines, where his father ran a conservatory. In the early 1890s, William attended Cornell University, though because of health reasons he was unable to finish his studies there. From childhood William had had an interest in botany as well as photography. In 1899, he took a botanical collecting trip to Banff, Alberta. On June 23, 1902 he married Margaret A. Ratcliffe; they had eight children, three sons and five daughters. William operated Sunny Acres fruit farm near St. Catharines but in 1913, the family left Ontario and moved to Edmonton, Alberta. In 1914, William bought a farm near Bremner, east of Edmonton. In 1920 he published an illustrated book, Wild Flowers of Western Canada. In 1922, he became the librarian for the Edmonton Normal School, and soon was also teacher of the study of nature. In 1925, he moved to Calgary where he taught natural history at the Calgary Normal School until his retirement in 1938. William made over one thousand hand-coloured lantern slides of plants and animals to help with his teaching; many of these are in the Botany Department at the University of Calgary and the Entomology Department at the University of Alberta. Following his retirement, William devoted more of his time to his botanical studies, traveling through western Canada and the United States. William Copeland McCalla was a recognized authority on the flora of Alberta. He was presented with a honourary degree, a doctor of laws, from the University of Alberta in 1956. In 1960, he presented his herbarium collection, numbering about 14,000 sheets, to the University of Alberta. William Copeland McCalla died August 22, 1962. Margaret McCalla died June 15, 1964 in Calgary, Alberta. Frederick Ratcliffe McCalla was born in St. Catherines, Ontario on May 14, 1903, the first child of William and Margaret McCalla. As the eldest son, Frederick was often called away from school to assist his father on the Glenbrook farm near Bremner, Alberta farm when his father was ill with asthma. In 1920, William McCalla moved to Edmonton with three of the children, and Frederick stayed on the farm with Margaret and the rest of the children until 1925 when all the family except Frederick moved to Edmonton. Several of his siblings boarded with Frederick from time to time. Frederick became the sole operator of the farm and eventually purchased it in 1942. Frederick married Gladys Wilkinson August 3, 1931 at Gladys and her parents' home in Clover Bar, Alberta. Gladys was the fifth child of Sarah and W.F. Wilkinson. Gladys was an accomplished musician, and received her Associate of the Toronto Conservatory of Music in 1931. She taught piano, performed as an accompanist, and was the pianist and choir leader for Bremner United Church. Frederick was the Secretary/Treasurer of the North Clover Bar School District #3117 from 1928 to 1947, and was the Treasurer of the Bremner United Church. He was an active member of the East Clover Bar United Framers of Alberta (UFA), serving as Secretary, Treasurer and President at various times. He served as Secretary-Treasurer and Secretary-Manager for the Alberta Milk Producers Association, and was a Director of the Dairy Food Service Bureau for the dairy Farmers of Canada. He also worked as Manager of the South Edmonton Mutual Telephone Company. Frederick and Gladys focused on dairy and grain farming at the Glenbrook Farm. Frederick and Gladys had four children: Marion, Alex, Nora and Pat. In 1960, Frederick and Gladys moved to Edmonton and Glenbrook Farm was sold in 1965. Frederick McCalla died December 26, 1986 in New Norway, Alberta. Gladys McCalla died May 4, 2001 in Edmonton, Alberta.

Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District

The Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District was established in 1919 following a vote of resident land owners. The purpose of the District was to construct an irrigation system of canals and flumes to provide water to an area near Lethbridge and Macleod. The water distribution system was completed in 1922, with water first entering the canal in 1923. The District also promoted industries within its boundaries, including raising livestock as well as cultivating and processing sugar beets. The District was also responsible for land management, soil surveys, the establishment and management of Park Lake Provincial Park, and the sale of land.

Miquelon (family)

L.T. (Louis Timoleon) Miquelon was born in St. Camille, Quebec in 1861. He came west when his father, J.Z. Cyr-Miquelon was appointed Immigration Agent for the Northwest Territories in 1883. During the second Riel Rebellion he worked with General Strange as an interpreter due to his ability to speak English, French and Cree. After the rebellion, L. T. Miquelon filed on a homestead near Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan. In 1888, he married Olivine (maiden name unknown). In 1892, L.T. Miquelon and J.Z.C. Miquelon moved to Wetaskiwin when J.Z.C. was appointed the first postmaster. L.T. built the first commercial building in Wetaskiwin, a combined store and residence along with the post office at the southwest corner of Railway Street West and Lansdowne (50th Street and 49th Avenue). J.Z.C. Miquelon also served as Registrar and Subland Agent and acted as a surveyor and surveyed the lake that is named after him (Miquelon Lake, northeast of Wetaskiwin). In 1893, Nancy Miquelon and her daughter-in-law Olivine and her three children, Rosario (Bill), Edward and Marianne arrived. A year later Phillip was born, one of the first settler babies born in Wetaskiwin. In 1899, J.Z.C. Miquelon died. By 1899, three more of his sons had moved to Alberta --Camille, Athanase (P.A.) and Romeo (J.R.) (in Calgary). P.A. took over as postmaster and sub-land agent. In 1909 L.T. was appointed Government Road Foreman and Weed Inspector. L.T. and Olivine had thirteen children, eight living to adulthood. Olivine died in 1924 (62 years). L.T. Miquelon died in 1942.

Dempsey, Pauline

In 1993, Glenbow curators Frances Roback and Sandra Morton-Weizman undertook an oral history project as research for an upcoming exhibition on childhood --"Growing Up and Away". They were assisted by summer student, Sandi Davis, and Pauline Dempsey who was hired on contract to interview most of the First Nations people. She interviewed primarily members of the Blood tribe, but also included a few members of the Peigan and Siksika. Her husband, Hugh Dempsey, assisted with some of the interviews. Some of these were in English, some in Blackfoot and some in both English and Blackfoot. These were then translated and transcribed.

City of Calgary. Office of the Mayor

  • ccg
  • Entidad colectiva

Ralph Klein was elected Mayor of Calgary on 1980 October 15, succeeding Ross Alger. He was sworn in October 27. His platform was the creation of good communications between City Hall and taxpayers, and the funding of "essential services first and desirable services last". He was an active proponent of increased participation by the public in civic government, and initiated an open-door policy in his office. He also organized "Town Hall" meetings in each of Calgary's 14 Wards in an attempt to bring community members face to face with City staff to deal with issues and problems. He favoured using task forces to handle various issues. While Mayor, Klein also hosted a weekly open-line radio show. Under Ralph Klein, Rod Love served as Executive Assistant, Kay Hicks as Executive Secretary and Gerry Belanger as the Mayor's personal secretary. For more information regarding Ralph Phillip Klein's biography, please link to the City of Calgary Archives homepage and click on the "fonds level descriptions" link.

Chorny, Merron

  • UOFC
  • Persona
  • 1922-

Merron Chorny was born in Ranfurly, Alberta on August 31st, 1922. He graduated from the Edmonton Normal School in 1942 but interrupted his undergraduate degree at the University of Alberta when he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, serving as a Flying Officer from 1943-1945. He later returned and received his Bachelor of Education from the University of Alberta in 1947 and his Master of Education in 1949. Chorny was the principal of Grimshaw School from 1949-1958. He was accepted as a Teaching Fellow at the University of Alberta in 1958 on a program leading to his doctorate. In 1960 Chorny accepted a position at the University of Alberta, Calgary as an assistant professor in English Education.

Chorny played a leadership role in a number of teaching and education organizations and was responsible for several pioneering initiatives in improving instruction and the delivery of English programs. Chorny served on the Alberta Department of Education Junior High School Curriculum Committee and on the sub-committee for the marking of Grade 9 exams. He was publications editor of the English Council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) and was on the committee to study teaching loads. In 1964 he organized and was chair of the English Commandos, a group that worked within the structure of the English Council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. The Commandos were teams of knowledgeable resource persons who offered one-day workshops in some area of teaching English, such as reading, composition, or poetry. The workshops provided an in-service approach to assisting teachers, and could take on the role of consultants for projects and other activities. As Vice-President of the English Council, Chorny was also invited to attend the International Conference on the Teaching of English held at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire in 1966. Chorny became President of the English Council in 1967.

In 1966, Chorny chaired a conference that discussed the formation of a Canadian Council of Teachers of English (CCTE). Chorny was active in the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), which had a North American agenda but was focussed primarily on education in the United States. Chorny believed that an organization focussed on Canadian English concerns and issues would be advantageous. The CCTE became a reality in 1967 with Chorny as the President of the Council.

Chorny wrote the Just English series of English textbooks; he also wrote Teacher as Learner, and Teacher as Researcher to encourage the further education of teachers of English. Chorny was also a firm believer in writing as an expression of self. He wrote many creative and fictional articles, several of which were later published, including the short story Obitiuary. He also wrote several pieces and had drafted the outlines of chapters for a larger work on the history and people of the Ranfurly area where he grew up.

Chorny retired from the University of Calgary in 1985 and was granted Professor Emeritus status.

Resultados 11 a 20 de 23624