Showing 178 results

Authority record
University of Alberta Archives

University of Alberta. Board of Governors

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Board of Governors is a corporation which consists of a Chair appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, the Chancellor, the President, and persons appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, who include representatives from the Alumni Association, the Senate, the academic and non-academic staff, undergraduate and graduate students, and the general public. The conduct, management, and control of the University and all its property, revenue, business, and affairs are vested in the Board. The Board appoints the deans of all faculties, all members of the teaching staff, the Librarian, the Registrar, and all members of the administrative staff, but no one may be appointed to a senior administrative post or to the academic staff of the University unless first nominated by the President of the University. The Board provides for the maintenance of buildings and the erection of new buildings. It has authority to purchase and acquire property. It fixes the fees charged for courses and it makes financial provision for the establishment of new faculties, departments, and courses. It may establish extension programs to contribute to the educational and cultural advancement of the people of Alberta. When any question arises as to the powers or duties of the Senate, any other University body, the President, a dean, or any other officer or employee, and these powers and duties are not definitely provided for in the Universities Act, the Board's decision on the question is final (Calendar, 1990/91). The Board was created by the University Act (1910) which was modelled on the Ontario statute which created the University of Toronto. Chairs: 1911-1917 Edwin Charles Pardee; 1917-1940 Horace Harvey; 1940-1950 Harold Hayward Parlee; 1950-1966 Charles Malcolm Macleod; 1966-1972 John Edward Bradley; 1972-1975 Fred T. Jenne; 1975-1978 Eric A. Geddes; 1978-1990 John Schlosser; 1990- Stanley A. Milner. Executive Directors: 1911-1968 University Bursar; 1968-[1979] John Nicol; 1979-1984 Brian J. Silzer; 1984- Paul Robison.

University of Alberta. Campus Security

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Campus Security is charged with the protection and security of University personnel, property and equipment, and has assumed responsibility for parking services at certain times during its history. As early as 1912 a watchman was employed, and this position was maintained until at least 1952. After that time it appears that maintenance personnel in various buildings served as ad hoc watchmen and a City Police officer was assigned to the campus. During the mid-1960s a Campus Patrol existed under the purview of Physical Plant. In 1969 this group was replaced by the Campus Security Force, reporting to the Vice-President (Finance and Administration). The word "Force" was deleted from the name in 1977 when a major reorganization of security procedures occurred (PACCR, 1982). Directors: 1968-[1976] Charles A. Breakey; 1977-1985 W.F. Gordon Perry; 1985- Douglas M.J. Langevin.

University of Alberta Cancer Research Group (McEachern Laboratory)

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Named after Calgary physician John S. McEachern, the McEachern Cancer Research Laboratory was initially funded by the Alberta division of the Canadian Cancer Society. In 1959 it was officially designated a cancer research centre, and after an extensive renovation that improved its biochemical facilities four years later, was renamed the University of Alberta Cancer Research Unit (later Group). Located in the Medical Sciences Building, it undertakes research supported by the National Cancer Institute, the Medical Research Council, and the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research. Senior staff members hold joint appointments with the departments of Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Directors: [1953-1962] R. Cameron Harrison ; 1962-1971 Alan Robb Phillips Paterson; 1972- 1980 Gerald Alan LePage; 1981-1983 Larry W. Brox (Acting); 1984-1990 Alan Robb Phillips Paterson. Coordinators: 1990- Carol E. Cass.

University of Alberta. Chancellor and Senate

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

By the authority of the University Act of 1906 the Senate was the sole governing body of the University. Its first meeting, in March 1908, set the policy for the opening of the University in September of that year. In 1910 the Act was rewritten, giving administrative powers to the Board of Governors and academic powers to the Senate. A further revision in 1942 assigned academic authority to the General Faculties Council and brought the Senate's duties and powers closer to what they are today under the provisions of the Universities Act of 1966. The Chancellor of the University is Chair of the Senate, which has 62 members, 30 of whom are elected from the general public, 9 appointed from the public by the Minister of Advanced Education, 16 representatives from the University community, and 7 ex officio members (including the presidents of the University and the Alumni Association). It is the mandate of the Senate to inquire into any matter that might tend to enhance the usefulness of the University. It is specifically authorized to interpret the University to the public; to require reports from faculty councils, the Students' Council, and any members of the academic staff; to receive and consider submissions from anyone interested in the University; to arrange for public meetings, radio and television programs and other means of providing and acquiring information on the University; as a consequence, to make reports and recommendations to the Board or the General Faculties Council or other appropriate body. In addition, the Senate authorizes the conferring of Honorary Degrees. The Senate brings together the University and the public. Although it has little formal decision-making power, it seeks to stimulate discussion on issues of concern and to aid in their resolution. It is a two-way link between the communities (Calendar 1990/91). Chancellors: 1908-1926 Charles Allen Stuart; 1926-1927 Nicholas Dubois Dominic Beck; 1927-1941 Alexander Cameron Rutherford; 1941-1946 Frank Ford; 1946-1952 George Frederick McNally; 1952-1958 Earle Parkhill Scarlett; 1958-1964 Lawrance Yeomans Cairns; 1964-1970 Francis Philip Galbraith; 1970-1974 Louis Armand Desrochers; 1974-1978 Ronald Norman Dalby; 1978-1982 Jean B. (Janz) Forest; 1982-1986 Peter Savaryn; 1986-1990 Tevie H. Miller; 1990-1994 Sandy A. Mactaggart.

University of Alberta. Deans' Council

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Deans' Council is an advisory body to the President, the Board of Governors, and to General Faculties Council. It consists of the President, the Vice-Presidents, the Dean of each Faculty, the Director of the School of Native Studies, the Registrar and the Chief Librarian (Calendar 1990/91). The Council has also been delegated powers to act on some matters regarding discipline and administration. The President sits ex officio as head.

University of Alberta. Department of Adult, Career and Technology Education

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

Formerly the Department of Industrial Arts and Vocational Education, the purpose of this department is to prepare vocational teachers for secondary schools and to train facilitators in education of adults, for responsibilities in school or non-school settings. Heads: 1962-1968 Henry Richard Ziel; 1968-1969 Harold Duane Tichenor (Acting). Chairs: 1969-1970 Henry Richard Ziel; 1970- 1975 James Emmett Gallagher; 1975-1980 Karel Puffer; 1980-1986 Harold Duane Tichenor; 1986-1987 Abram G. Konrad; [1987]- Abram G. Konrad.

University of Alberta. Department of Agricultural Engineering

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The objectives of the Department of Agricultural Engineering were to provide instruction in agricultural engineering, engineering agrology, forest operations and wood science at the undergraduate and graduate level; to conduct research relevant to agriculture and forestry in Alberta and Canada; to exchange information with the public through technology transfer; and to participate in the activities of professional and technical societies (PACCR, 1986). The Department was closed in 1991. Heads: 1921-1950 John Macgregor Smith; 1950-1958 Barney Thorvardur Stephanson (Acting); 1958-1968 Fenton Vincent MacHardy; 1962-1963 Barney Thorvardur Stephanson (Acting); 1968- 1969 Harold Page Harrison (Acting); 1969-1974 Kenneth Walter Dormier. Chairs: 1974-1981 Barney Thorvardur Stephanson; 1981-1982 James Brian McQuitty; 1982-[1987] Kenneth Walter Dormier; [1987]-1991 Jeremy James Leonard

University of Alberta. Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The Department of Anatomy originated with the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine, initially teaching all aspects of anatomy to undergraduate medical students, then participating in post- graduate medical education, and gradually accepting responsibility for teaching in other faculties, mainly in a service role (PACCR, 1981). In 1986, the Department's name was changed to the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology to reflect changes in the teaching and scientific programs, and to indicate its objective to increase research in the field of cell biology. Heads: 1914-1938 Daniel Graisberry Revell; 1938-1959 Ralph Faust Shaner; 1959-1962 Herbert Edward Rawlinson; 1962-1963 Walter Raymond 'Ray' Salt (Acting); 1963-1969 Thomas S. Leeson. Chairs: 1969-1983 Thomas S. Leeson; 1984-1987 Kenneth David McFadden; 1987- Richard A. Murphy.

University of Alberta. Department of Animal Science

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

This department offers coursework in animal physiology, genetics, biochemistry, nutrition and related topics necessary to teach students to solve problems in animal production. It was formed through the amalgamation of three former departments in the Faculty of Agriculture: Animal Husbandry (founded 1917), Veterinary Science (1918) and Poultry Husbandry (1928). Besides preparing undergraduates with career-related training, the Department offers graduate work leading to MSc or PhD degrees. Heads: 1942-1947 John Percy Sackville; 1947-1950 Robert David Sinclair; 1950-1969 Laird Ward McElroy. Chairs: 1969-1972 Laird Ward McElroy; 1972-1977 Larry Patrick Milligan; 1977-1982 Roy Torgny Berg; 1982-1987 Robert Toombs Hardin; 1987- Michael A. "Mick" Price

University of Alberta. Department of Anthropology

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

The teaching of anthropology was introduced in the late 1950s within the Department of Philosophy and Psychology. In 1963 the joint Department of Sociology and Anthropology was established, and by 1966 two separate departments were formed. The Department's personnel, facilities, teaching function, and research emphasis are organized around four programs: 1. archaeology and paleoenvironmental studies; 2. physical anthropology and primatology; 3. culture contact, development and world problems; 4. symbolic, linguistic and cognitive analysis (PACCR, 1986). Chairs: 1966-1970 Charles S. Brant; 1967-1968 Harold Barclay (Acting); 1971-1975 Henry T. Lewis; 1975-1978 C. Roderick Wilson; 1978-1981 Clifford G. Hickey; 1981-1982 Michael Asch (Acting); 1982-1986 Michael Asch; 1986-[1990] Henry T. Lewis; 1990- David Lubell .

Results 21 to 30 of 178