No information available.
No information available.
Roy L. Fowler, 1902-1975, was born near High River, Alberta. He ranched and farmed in the Gladys Ridge district near Aldersyde. He was the first warden of Steveville Provincial Park (later named Dinosaur Provincial Park) from 1958 to 1965. He retired to High River and was an active volunteer with the Museum of the Highwood. He was a member of the Archaeological Society of Alberta and a director of the Alberta Historical Society. His interest in archaeology, paleontology, and history was shared by his wife, Loretta Gladys Gehman "Reta", 1904-1990, whom he married in 1927. They had four children, Leroy Clare, Marvin Gehman, Ella Louise (Conners), and Loris Fraser.
John Rugnvaldur Hillman, 1887-1963, was born in Iceland and came with his parents to Markerville, Alberta in 1890. He was a carpenter in Edmonton and in 1917 married Dora Johannson Eymundson. They farmed near Evarts. He was active as a school trustee.
The University of Lethbridge (Alberta) was established in 1967. From its inception it hosted conferences on a variety of scholarly subjects.
The Canada Land and Irrigation Co. Ltd. was formed in 1906, by Guy Tracey Robins of the Robins Irrigation Co. of London, England. An agreement was made to purchase 380,573 acres east of the Bow and Oldman River junctions, south of the CPR mainline. The Southern Alberta Land Company was formed in 1906 to carry out construction of a major irrigation project; construction costs estimated over $1,000,000.00 were to take place over a 10 year period. The completion of land sales were estimated to take 15 years. The land was found to be unsuitable for irrigation however, so agreement was made to purchase land further west of the Bow River and around Suffield. Construction began in 1909, but the company was plagued by financial problems, dam washouts and engineering mistakes. It went into receivership in 1914, and construction virtually stopped during WWI. In 1917, the receiver arranged a merger between the South Alberta Land Company and its subsidiary the Canadian Wheat Lands Ltd., and the bankrupt Alberta Land Co. Ltd. which held land adjacent to that of the South Alberta Land Co. A new company, named the Canada Land and Irrigation Co. Ltd. was formed. Sales of land began in 1918, and two reservoirs, the Little Bow Reservoir and Lake McGregor, were completed in 1919. Water was first delivered in 1920. The post war depression caused the company to again go into receivership in 1924, as it was unable to pay its debts. At that time, it had spent $15,000,000.00 on the project. In 1927, the company cleared its debt to the government by giving up land and reducing its holdings to 130,000 acres. More land was forfeited in 1941. In 1950, the system which had been named the Bow River Irrigation Project, was sold and the company ceased operations.
John Robert Lampard, 1940- , was born into a medical family at Red Deer, Alberta. He received an M.D. (1964), B.Sc. (1966)and M.Sc. (Surgery) (1967) from the University of Alberta and an M.B.A. from the University of Western Ontario in 1968. He was Medical Director of Foothills Hospital, Calgary, from 1968 to 1981 and was Medical Director of the Michener Centre, Red Deer, from 1983. In 1984 Bob married Sharon Mahoney of Bath, New Brunswick. He has been active in several sports and has done research in medical history and western Canadian history. He had three children, Bruce, Jeffrey, and Allison.
The Bank of Canada, incorporated in 1858, became the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1867. It took over several smaller banks including the Gore Bank in 1869 and the Standard Bank of Canada in 1928. In 1906 Sir Edmund Walker, 1848-1924, chairman of the bank, took a tour of western Canada, during which he took these photographs. Many of them feature bank buildings built by the Commerce and its competitors. In 1961 the Canadian Bank of Commerce and the Imperial Bank of Commerce merged to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Alberta Natural History Society was formed in Innisfail, Alberta in 1906, a successor organization to the North West Entomological Society (1899) and the Territorial Natural History Society (1902). Shortly after the A.N.H.S.'s creation, a branch of the Society was established at Red Deer. Additional branches were later formed at Erskine, Stettler and Medicine Hat. The Edmonton Natural History Club became an affiliate in 1910. The A.N.H.S. promoted a number of educational and conservation projects. An ambitious publication program was launched. Successful lobbying lead to the designation of the Gaetz Lakes area of Red Deer as a Dominion Bird Sanctuary. Unfortunately, over the next few decades, the A.N.H.S. gradually dwindled in size. By the time of the Second World War, only the Red Deer branch remained active. A resurgence was experienced in the early 1970's. The group tackled a number of issues, including the preservation of the Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary, the Dickson Dam on the Red Deer River and environmental policies for the Eastern Slopes. Because of confusion following the formation of the Federation of Alberta Naturalists, the Alberta Natural History Society was renamed the Red Deer River Naturalists in 1976. The Red Deer River Naturalists continues to operate as an environmental watchdog group.
The Alberta Women's Institute was organized in 1909 by private citizens. It was organized provincially in 1915, and and was established in 1916 as a body within the Department of Agriculture under the Women's Institute Act of 1916 (Statutes of Alberta Chapter 21, 1916). The Alberta Women's Institutes became independent of the government again in 1929. The first Women's Institute in Alberta was established in Lea Park in 1909 by private citizens. It was this group that urged the government to officially establish Women's Institutes in the province. In1912, Roberta MacAdams, a home economist from Ontario, was asked by Alberta's Department of Agriculture to survey the needs of women in the province. Her report led to the development of Women's Institutes as a government- sponsored program. The functions of the institutes were to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by means of studying home economics and child welfare. The institutes functioned to encourage agriculture and improve agricultural conditions. The institutes also held, established and maintained demonstrations, lectures, short course schools, traveling and other libraries, exhibitions, competitions, meetings, conventions and attractions. The Alberta Women's Institutes were composed of local branches from communities throughout Alberta and had as its aim the betterment of life for both home and country;Branches of the Women's Institutes were provincially organized in 1915, and officially incorporated under the Alberta Women's Institutes Act of 1916. The Alberta government believed that by improving the domestic lives of settlers, their comfort, health and efficiency further settlement would follow. The Institutes operated under the auspices of the Department of Agriculture until 1929. On July 1st, 1928 the Women's Home Bureau Act came into effect, declaring that the Alberta Women's Institute should become self-supporting which it did following a 5 year restructuring period. An executive committee was formed and a new constitution was formed and by-laws drawn up in accordance with the Women's Home Bureau Act. Responsibility for the Alberta Women's Institute Act has transferred between departments but as of October of 1996 it has rested with Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural Development. The Alberta Women's Institute continues to receive an annual government grant from the province of Alberta.
George Millward McDougall, 1821-1876, was born in Upper Canada (Ontario). In 1842 he married Elizabeth Chantler, 1819-1904, and they had nine children, including John C. and Eliza (Hardisty). He attended Victoria College in Cobourg and was ordained a Methodist minister in 1854. In 1860 he was appointed to a mission near Norway House, Manitoba. In 1863 the family moved to a location 130 kilometres east of present day Edmonton, Alberta where he established the Victoria Mission, the earliest mission in the prairie west. In 1871 he moved to Edmonton House to found a permanent mission. At the request of the government he helped prepare the First Nations for the signing of Treaties 6 and 7. He died in a blizzard near Calgary. In 1932 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated George McDougall as a National Historic Person. For further information see J. Ernest Nix's entry, "George Millward McDougall", in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. X. -- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1972, p. 471-472. His son, John Chantler McDougall, 1842-1917, was born in Ontario and educated at Victoria College. He entered the ministry in 1866, was ordained in 1872, and established a mission among the Stoney at Morleyville in southern Alberta in 1873. In 1865 he married Abigail Steinhauer, 1848-1871, and they had three children, Flora (Begg), Ruth (Wheatley) and Augusta (Mathieson). Following Abigail's death, he married Elizabeth Boyd in 1872 and they had six children, George M., John B., Lillian (Graham), Morley S., David L. and Douglas J. He readied the First Nations of southern Alberta for the arrival of the North-West Mounted Police in 1874. After his father's death, he succeeded him as superintendent of Methodist missionary work in the Saskatchewan District. During the 1885 Riel Rebellion he accompanied the Alberta Field Force. He retired to Calgary and wrote several books about his experiences. See J. Ernest Nix's entry "John Chantler McDougall" in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, volume XIV. -- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1998, p. 695-697.