Showing 1009 results

Authority record
Corporate body

APEGGA Women’s Club

  • EDM A74-11
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2009

The APEGGA [Alberta Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists Association] Women's Club, also known as the Ladies Auxilliary E.I.C [Engineers' Institute of Canada], Engineers' Wives Association of Edmonton, Engineers' Wives Club, E.IC. and A.P.E.A. [Alberta Professional Engineers' Association], Engineers' Wives Club and Professional Engineers Wives' Club during its existence, was organized in September 1949. It was a social group, designed to acquaint wives of Edmonton engineers with each other. It organized social activities, interest groups and special events. It was renamed the APEGGA Women's Club in 1993 and was disbanded in 2009 at its 60th anniversary.

Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium

  • paa
  • Corporate body

The Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium opened in 1952 in Edmonton, Alberta. The sanatorium treated tuberculosis patients until 1970 when management of the hospital transferred to the University of Alberta Hospital. The sanatorium offered 295 beds, and a large nurse's residence. Dr. H.H. Stephen was Medical Superintendent of the Sanatorium from 1952 to 1969.

Aborigines Protection Society

  • glen-2
  • Corporate body
  • 1837-[1900s?]

The Aborigines Protection Society of England was formed in 1837. Its purpose was stated as being "to assist in protecting the defenceless, and promoting the advancement of uncivilized tribes". It ran in parallel with the British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society with which it had overlapping membership. F.W. Chesson was the society's secretary from 1866 to 1888. Among other activities, APS lobbied the British government on behalf of native people in the British colonies, to prevent wholesale expropriation of their lands.

Academic Women's Association

  • uofa
  • Corporate body

After three years of informal meetings, the Academic Women's Association was formally begun in 1975 to encourage implementation of the recommendations of the University of Alberta Senate's Task Force on the Status of Women. The purpose of the association is to foster collegiality among academic women, to promote and encourage equal opportunities for women in university affairs, and to provide a forum and a mechanism for affirmative action for women at the university. The original name, Academic Women's Association of Alberta, was designed to provide an incorporated body under which branches from Alberta universities could function.

Ace Foundation

  • glen-4
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-1974

Ace Foundation of Calgary was incorporated in 1968 to provide mobile educational and cultural exhibits throughout the province of Alberta for the benefit of school pupils and the general public. The name was changed to Candev Foundation and the original organization was dissolved in 1974.

Acme Feeder Association

  • glen
  • Corporate body

The Acme Feeder Association was established in the 1950s to purchase livestock for its members to feed. The association then cooperatively sold the animals to obtain the best possible price. The organization had members from the Acme and Linden areas of Alberta.

Action Poetry

  • pfla
  • Corporate body
  • 1993-1994

John Sobol, Program Director for Action Poetry '94, had worked in the performing arts in a wide variety of capacities. His career prior to 1994 had included being a Canadian poet, performer, musician, composer and music critic. Sobol recorded several albums, including "Blue History", by the John Sobol Poetry Band. Sobol ran a loft space in Montreal called "The Crossroads", which presented video and film screenings, dance performances, live music, art exhibitions and poetry readings.

In late 1992, John Sobol met with Vice President and Director Carol Phillips to discuss the potential for a program called Action Poetry ‘94. With his background in music and poetry, he recognized that there was an isolation of sorts between all forms of oral traditions. Therefore, he wanted to bring together multiple disciplines in one forum as a cross-cultural exchange of the many traditions of spoken word performance. This would occur in the form of a three-week workshop for the performers, which would culminate in a filmed presentation of their works.
Once the program was approved, John Sobol began scouting in Canada and the United States for artists he would like to include in the workshop. The participants would be from various performance backgrounds, including: poets, rappers, dub poets, monologists, performance artists, street entertainers, storytellers of various persuasions, and stand-up comedians from all backgrounds and cultures. Performers included: Lillian Allen, Uma Rao, Erik Belgum, Aaron Williamson, Sean “Spaz” Zitello, Deanna Ferguson, Judy Radul, Jeannette Armstrong, Jill Batson, Terrence Crane, Diane Wolkstein, Desaz Tempo and Richie D., Bob Holman, Wendy Berner, Tim Lander, Paul Dutton, Adeena Karasick, Gunargie, Greg Young-Ing, Mary Dalton, Tom Henihan, Kedrick James, Clifton Joseph, Tracie Morris, John Giorno, Alex Ferguson, Jayne Cortez, Meryn Cadell, Pine Trio,Shawna Dempsey, Tuong, Djewel (Don) Davidson, Darryl Keyes, Isobeau Miller, Lori Weidenhammer, Peter McPhee, Sheri D. Wilson, Stephen Humphreys, Murdoch Burnett, Ahdri Mandiela, John Sobol, and Flex Plan Nine (Harold Carr, Marilyn Lerner, Peter Valsamis and Tim Posgate).

The artists not only worked on their craft at the Banff Centre, but also participated in the Nat Christie Poetry Day and subsequent Nat Christie Poetry Jam. John Sobol organized these events that would see the artists visit various high schools in Calgary to work with students in performance workshops. Schools included: St. Francis High School, Forest Lawn High School, Bishop Carroll High School, Ernest Manning High School, Queen Elizabeth High School, and the Plains Indians Cultural Survival School. Chosen students would then perform their works on stage, along with the Action Poets, at the Nat Christie Poetry Jam at the Uptown Stage and Screen in Calgary.

Administrative Management Society Edmonton Chapter

  • EDM
  • Corporate body

The Administrative Management Society or AMS was founded in 1919 and originally called the National Association of Office Managers or NAOM. The name was changed in May 1929 to National Office Management Association or NOMA, with chapters in the USA, Canada and the West Indies. The aim is to provide education and networking opportunities for office managers. The Edmonton Chapter of NOMA petitioned for a charter February 28, 1949 and it was granted the next month. February 1, 1964 the name of NOMA was officially changed to Administrative Management Society.

Agnes Forbes Auxiliary

  • SPRA-0026
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-unknown

The Agnes Forbes Auxiliary was founded as the Glen Leslie Auxiliary in 1916, a women's auxiliary to the Glen Leslie Presbyterian Church, which had been built in 1915. The name was changed to the Agnes Forbes Auxiliary in May of 1916. The ladies met monthly in the homes of members; it appears that the "meetings" were used for practical occasions such as quilting, preparing for events or cleaning the church, as well as social occasions such as farewells. Devotional exercises, readings and music were a regular part of the meeting. Founding members were, "Mesdames Leslie, Milne, Minchin, Weatherly, Hackwell and Miss Johnston. Mesdames Forbes and Shuttleworth of McQueen's Auxiliary were present to organize the society." The women participated in many community events such as the Frontier Exhibition and held an annual 'Christmas Tree' for the Somme School children, (Glen Leslie Church being also used as a school). They also did quilting, sewing, knitting and fancy work for fund-raising sales and the Red Cross, and supported soldiers from the Glen Leslie area through letters and gifts. In 1918, the club was enlarged to include all the women in the community and the name changed to the United Women's Community Club. They supported the church and the Smoky Community Hall through membership dues and fund-raising through fowl suppers, dramatic presentations and sales of work, and introduced new programs such as a community Sunday School. They also planned and prepared for the annual community picnic and sports day and worked with other community groups such as sports organizations to sponsor events. In 1928, a new society was formed, patterned after and taking on the name of the previous, "Agnes Forbes Auxiliary", while focusing on spiritual needs rather than community events.

Airdrie Chinook Winds Ball Park Association

  • paa-PR3802
  • Corporate body
  • 1994-2006

The Airdrie Chinook Winds Ball Park Association (ACWBPA) was a not-for-profit association that raised money to build a baseball park in Airdrie, Alberta.

The ACWBPA was formed in 1994 and became incorporated on 15 June 1995 under the Alberta Societies Act. The objective of the association was to construct four class “A” tournament ball diamonds on a portion of the land acquired for recreation facility development by the Airdrie & District Agricultural Society in 1994.

The ACWBPA was a volunteer-run group, with a president, treasurer and eight board members at their incorporation in 1995. Later years saw the association’s board diminish to three to four active members. The association’s first president was Paul Bailey, who stepped down from the role in February 1997 to be replaced by Dennis Driscoll, a local real estate agent.

The initial vision for the ball park was to be a site for adult ball players in the community. At the time of the ACWBPA’s formation, Airdrie had one dedicated ball park, Fletcher’s Field. Association members felt that adults in the community deserved a designated space to play ball, and that youth in the community would benefit from having exclusive access to the existing fields in Airdrie.

The construction of the ball diamonds was approved by the City of Airdrie in 1996 after the City received an infrastructure grant from both the federal and provincial governments to develop recreational facilities on a 1/3 cost sharing basis (1/3 federal monies, 1/3 provincial money and 1/3 municipal money). This municipal 1/3 (approximately $158 000) was to be provided by a user group, the ACWBPA. The ACWBPA agreed to participate, and received a loan from the City of Airdrie for the municipal government portion of the grant. The ACWBPA committed to a five-year repayment plan to the City.

Money to repay the loan would come from four primary sources: grants from the Alberta Community Lottery Board, received between 1998 and 2002, income from the Association’s charitable gaming license, team membership registration fees, and general fundraising through dances and community advertising rentals on the fields.

The Chinook Winds Ball Park playing fields were opened in May 1999. The concession and washroom facilities for the park were completed in 2002. The ACWBPA closed their accounts with the Royal Bank in 2006, donating the remaining funds to nonprofits in the Airdrie community.

Results 31 to 40 of 1009