Showing 22662 results

Persoon/organisatie

Fischer, Alfred F.

  • oly
  • Persoon

Alfred F. Fischer, born in Germany in 1947, grew up in a remote northern British Columbia community and received a B.SC. in geology from the University of British Columbia in 1974. He was employed as a geologist and senior manager by Gulf Canada Resources Ltd. of Calgary from 1974 until 1996, when he left to form his own consulting business. His interest in cross-country skiing led to an active volunteer career in amateur sport organizations. During the 1988 Olympic Winter Games he was chairman of the Alpine Volunteer Committee, with responsibility for management of the Alpine skiing events at Nakiska (Mount Allan); he had also previously chaired the Cross Country and Nordic Combined committees. He chaired the organizing committees of several national and World Cup Nordic skiing competitions. He served as President of the Canadian Ski Association, Alberta Division (CAS-AD) in 1984-1987 and 1990-1993. Active in the Calgary Olympic Development Association (CODA), he was its chairman and C.E.O. in 1994-1996.

Maccagno, Tom

Tom Maccagno, son of Michael Maccagno, grew up in Lac La Biche, Alberta. Tom is a lawyer who served as mayor of Lac La Biche from 1990-1995. He is a conservationist of note and a member of the Lac La Biche Historical Society and the Lac La Biche Mission Historical Society.

Cornwall, James Kennedy

  • glen
  • Persoon

James Kennedy Cornwall, 1869-1955, was born in Brantford, Ontario. He came to Alberta in 1896 and spent two years in railway construction in the Crowsnest Pass. He was briefly lured to the Yukon during the gold rush, and returned via the Peace River country. He settled in the area, trapped, and later opened a string of fur trading posts in partnership with W.F. Bredin. When these were sold to the Revillon Freres in 1906, he formed the Northern Transportation Company, which ran steamships on the Athabasca and Slave Rivers and Lesser Slave Lake. From 1908 to 1912 he sat in the Alberta Legislature as the Liberal Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Peace River. He recognized the agricultural possibilities of Peace River and actively promoted the region. In 1910 he invited and escorted a group of prominent writers and agriculturalists through the as yet unsettled district. He was known as "Peace River Jim". He was officer commanding of the 8th Battalion, Canadian Railway Troops, CEF during First World War. During the 1920s and 1930s he was also president of the Athabasca Shipping Company which ran steamships on the Mackenzie River and adjoining lakes. During his travels he collected original records from Fort Resolution, a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) fur trading post on the south shore of Great Slave Lake, NWT. He married Evelyn Beatrice Tierney in 1908, and they had three children James Anthony, 1922-1944, Catherine Peace (Hudson), 1911-?, and Norah (Pollard), 1913- . The family was based in Victoria although Jim spent most of his time in the north.

Alberta Wheat Pool

The Alberta Wheat Pool, a voluntary cooperative organization, was incorporated in 1923 to create stability in the wheat market in response to a downward trend in wheat and farm prices in 1920-1923. Its first president was Henry Wise Wood. The pool, from its first office in Calgary, became one of the largest grain-handling cooperatives in Canada. Owned and controlled by its members, it operated country grain elevators across Alberta and northeast British Columbia. It handled approximately two-thirds of Alberta's grain exports. In addition to its original mandate of enabling farmers to bargain collectively with grain buyers, the AWP also provided grain services for members including storage and handling, grain merchandising, fertilizer and seed grain sales, farm equipment, financing, and agricultural research. It has also ensured farmers a voice in the formation of national grain-marketing policies and has been involved in the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board. On November 1, 1998 the Wheat Pool merged with Manitoba Pool Elevators to form Agricore. In 2001 Agricore merged with United Grain Growers Ltd. to form Agricore United. In 2007 Agricore United was purchased by the Saskatchewan Wheat Poll and the new company was rebranded to be known as Viterra. For further information see Tides in the West / Leonard D. Nesbitt. - Saskatoon : Modern Press, 1962.

Alberta. Ministry of Education

  • paa
  • Instelling

Dates of founding and/or dissolution:
The Department of Education of the Government of Alberta was a continuation of the Department of Education of the previous Northwest Territories government. The territorial department was founded by the School Ordinance in 1901. When the Province of Alberta was founded in 1905, the Department of Education continued to function under the authority of the <em>School Ordinance</em>. In 1922, the <em>School Ordinance</em> was repealed and superseded by <em>The Department of Education Act </em>(R.S.A. 1922 c. 16) and <em>The School Act </em>(R.S.A. 1922 c. 51). The Department of Education was dissolved May 27, 1999 by means of Order in Council 243/99 under the authority of the <em>Government Organization Act</em>. <em> Functional responsibility</em>: The Department of Education was responsible for the planning, development and implementation of the education system in Alberta. At the time that the department was created, it was responsible for all kindergarten schools, public and separate elementary and secondary schools, normal schools, teachers' institutes, and the education of physically and mentally handicapped children. The department was responsible for overseeing and approving the creation of school jurisdictions, approving the establishment of schools by school boards, inspection of schools, development of a standardized curriculum, overseeing the financing and administration of school jurisdictions, and overseeing the building of school facilities. The department also certified teachers who wished to work in Alberta and who had received their training outside the province. In 1922, technical and commercial schools came under the jurisdiction of the Minister of Education. Technical and vocational education programs were often provided by means of agreements between the Province and the Government of Canada, which used Alberta post-secondary technical institutes to provide federal technical training programs. The Minister was also made responsible for the licensing of private commercial and correspondence schools. In 1925, an amendment to the <em>School Act</em> allowed school boards to establish public junior colleges affiliated with the University of Alberta. As a consequence, the department became involved in post-secondary education provided through public colleges. Until 1969, public junior colleges were operated by school boards or consortia of school boards. With the passage of the <em>Colleges Act</em> in 1969, all public junior colleges became board-governed institutions. Between 1969 and 1971, the department's role in the funding and administration of public colleges was mediated through the Colleges Commission. The Minister was responsible for the administration of the <em>University Act</em> from the time it was first passed in 1910, though the department was not directly involved in the operations of the University of Alberta. The department provided capital and operating grants to the university, which was administered by its Board of Governors. In 1966 the department's relationship with the province's universities was clarified through the new <em>Universities Act.</em> This act created the Universities Commission, through which the department's interaction with the province's public universities was mediated. The department administered programs that provided financial assistance for the secondary and post-secondary education of the children of veterans of the First and Second World Wars. Financial assistance programs for university and college students, administered through the Students Assistance Board (renamed the Students Finance Board in 1971), were the responsibility of the department. In late 1971, responsibility for all post-secondary education, the Colleges Commission, the Universities Commission, and the Students Finance Board was transferred to the new Department of Advanced Education by means of a series of administrative transfers. <em>Predecessor and successor bodies</em>.: The predecessor of the Department of Education of the Province of Alberta was the Department of Education of the Government of the Northwest Territories. When the Department of Education was dissolved in 1999, its functions were divided between two new ministries. Responsibility for school buildings was transferred to Alberta Infrastructure. All other functions were transferred to Alberta Learning. <em>Administrative relationships</em>: The Department of Education reported to the Legislative Assembly through the Minister of Education. The Minister also passed to the Legislative Assembly the annual reports of the semi-independent agencies that reported to him until 1971, the Students' Finance Board, the Colleges Commission and the Universities Commission. <em>Administrative structure</em>: For the first thirty years of the department's operation, its activities were focused on overseeing the establishment, operation and alteration of school divisions, the inspection of schools and classrooms, ensuring an adequate supply of teachers, and overseeing the business activities of school jurisdictions. By 1917, the department's administrative structure had largely taken the shape it was to have for the next thirty years. The main components of the department were the school inspectorate, the province's Normal Schools, the School Libraries and Free Readers Branch (later re-named the School Book Branch), the School Debenture Branch, the Chief Attendance Officer, and the Provincial Board of Examiners. In 1919 a number of new positions were established, including the Supervisor of Schools, the Registrar, the Director of Technical Education, the Supervisor of Schools, and the Secretary of the department. The first major re-organization of the department took place in 1945. The administrative structure of the department became more hierarchical and the core functions of school supervision and administration were reorganized into two new divisions under the Chief Superintendent of Schools and the Director of School Administration, respectively. The heads of the Technical Education, Correspondence School, and the School Book branches continued to report directly to the Deputy Minister. Significant reorganizations of the department occurred in 1970, 1975, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1994 and 1997. In 1997, the Department of Education became the Ministry of Education. The Ministry was made up of three entities, the Department of Education (which continued the functions and activities of the previous department), the Education Revolving Fund, and the Alberta School Foundation Fund. This structure remained the same until the dissolution of the Ministry of Education on May 27, 1999. The various functions have included: the inspection and supervision of schools, the education and certification of teachers, curriculum development, financing the school system, supervising the operations of school jurisdiction administrations, overseeing construction of school facilities, providing technical and vocational education programs, the education of special needs students, providing educational programs in languages other than English, student testing, statistics and research in support of policy development, approving, developing and distributing appropriate text and reference books, post-secondary financial assistance programs, and the enforcement of compulsory attendance. A number of semi-independent agencies reported to the Minister of Education. These agencies included the Students' Finance Board (1953-71), the Board of Post-Secondary Education (1967-69), the Universities Commission (1966-71), and the Colleges Commission (1969-71). <em>Names of chief officers:</em>Ministers of Education: Alexander C. Rutherford 1905-10; Charles R. Mitchell 1910-12; John R. Boyle 1912-18; George P. Smith 1918-21; Perren E. Baker 1921-35; William Aberhart 1935-43; Solon E. Low 1943-44; R. Earl Ansley 1944-48; Ivan Casey 1948-52; Anders O. Aalborg 1952-64; Randolph H. McKinnon 1964-67; Raymond Reierson 1967-68; Robert C. Clark 1968-71; Louis D. Hyndman 1971-75; Julian G.J. Koziak 1975-79; David T. King 1979-86; Patrick N. Webber 1986; Nancy J. Betkowski 1986-88; James F. Dinning 1988-92; Halvar C. Jonson 1992-96; Gary G. Mar 1996-99

Nyland, Edo

  • paa
  • Persoon

Edo Nyland was born in Amsterdam in 1927, the youngest of four sons. While studying botany at the University of Amsterdam, he completed his compulsory military service. After taking a ten month training course at the eye hospital in Utrecht, he assisted wounded Japanese from concentration camps in the former Dutch East Indies. He returned to Amsterdam in 1950 and took a course in cabinetry. In 1952, he left Amsterdam and arrived in Halifax. He then, moved to Vancouver, BC. In order to qualify for entrance to the Forestry Department of University of British Columbia, he took upgrading courses in physics, English, and mathematics. In 1957, he received a Bachelor's degree in Forestry. He spent the summers of the degree working for logging and timber companies. From 1957 to 1968, he served as District Forester for the Whitecourt Forest in Alberta. In 1968, he became a land use specialist at the Alberta Forest Service head office in Edmonton and attached to the Land-use Assignment Section. In April 1971, he became Regional Manager of the uniformed (federal) Yukon Lands and Forest Service, based in Whitehorse, capital of the Yukon Territory. In 1983, he retired and moved to British Columbia with wife Elisabeth. Here he served two three-year terms as alderman (1990-1996).

Wilfrid “Wop” May

  • paa
  • Persoon
  • 1896-1952

Wilfrid Reid “Wop” May was born April 20, 1896 in Carberry, Manitoba, the son of Alexander E. and Elizabeth (Reid) May. The May family moved to Edmonton, Northwest Territories in 1902 and on the way they stopped to visit friends. Two year old Mary Lumsden was told to say hello to her cousin Wilfrid - she tried but the name came out "Woppie," which was soon shortened to "Wop," and the name stuck for the rest of his life. Wop received his education in Edmonton public schools, the Western Canadian College in Calgary, and Alberta College in Edmonton.
In 1916, he enlisted with the 202nd Edmonton Sportsmen’s Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1917, he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and served with the 209th Squadron of the Royal Air Force until 1919, attaining the rank of captain in 1918. While serving, May is known for helping take down the German pilot Baron von Richthofen; he also shot down thirteen German aircraft. For his service, May was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, given for “an act or acts of valour, courage, or devotion to duty whilst flying in active operations against the enemy.”
Returning to Edmonton, May operated May Airplanes Limited (Ltd.), which later became May-Gorman Airplanes Ltd. The business folded in 1924, and May began work with the National Cash Register Company in Dayton, Ohio, where he went for training. While working on a lathe during training, he was hit in the eye by a shard of steel and from then until 1939 he slowly went blind in that eye. On November 19, 1924 he married Violet “Vi” Bode. In 1927, the Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club was established and May became its first president and chief flying instructor. In 1928 when he, Victor Horner, and Charles Becker organized Commercial Airways Ltd., which received the contract for airmail service to the Mackenzie River District in northern Alberta. As a well-respected bush pilot, May is known for his and Vic Horner’s 1929 flight to Fort Vermilion to deliver medicine to prevent a diphtheria outbreak. Wop is also known for his role in the successful 1932 hunt for the fugitive known as the Mad Trapper. In 1929 he was awarded the J. Danzell McKee trophy for aviation achievement and in 1935 was made a member of the Order of the British Empire. Beginning in 1936, May was appointed superintendent of the Mackenzie River district for Canadian Airways.
During the Second World War, May managed the Number Two Air Observer School, an air training school at the Edmonton Airport operated under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. By 1942, May was supervisor of all Canadian Airway Training Ltd. Schools in western Canada; the Edmonton school closed in 1944. In 1943 he organized a training program for a first aid parachute crew to help bring aid to pilots who crashed in remote areas.
After the war, May returned to his position as superintendent of the Mackenzie River district for Canadian Pacific Airlines, which had purchased Canadian Airways. In 1946, he became the Regional Traffic Manager, in 1947 Director of Northern Development, and in 1949 Director of Development in Vancouver, British Columbia. May managed the Canadian Pacific Airlines repair depot in Calgary beginning in 1951. Wilfrid Reid “Wop” May died June 21, 1952 while on vacation with Denny in Provo, Utah.

Alberta. Executive Council

  • paa
  • Instelling

em> Dates of Founding and/or Dissolution: </em> The Human Resources Research Council was established by <em>The Alberta Human Resources Research Council Act</em> (S.A. 1967, chapter 36), on March 30, 1967. The Act was repealed May 19, 1976 by <em>The Statutes Repeal Act</em>, 1976 (S.A. 1976, chapter 51). <em> Functional Responsibility: </em> The motivation for the Human Resources Research Council resulted from the presentation of <em>A White Paper on Human Resources Development</em> by Premier Ernest Manning to the Alberta Legislature in March of 1967. The Human Resources Research Council was created as a corporation, to undertake educational, social, economic and other research that related to and affected the development and conservation of human resources in Alberta. The Council's objectives included to conduct or facilitate research in the human or social domain, to make known findings significant to shaping social policy, to develop plans, materials and procedures relating to human resource development, to assist all citizens in understanding emerging trends and problems related to human resources development, and to assist in the training of others engaged in similar research and development. The Council carried out studies categorized under a number of themes, including education, socio-economic opportunity, human behaviour and urban life. By means of a decision made by the Government of Alberta, the Council was to be phased out by August 31, 1972. <em> Administrative Relationships: </em> The Alberta Human Resources Research Council reported to the Legislative Assembly through the chairman, who was a member of the Executive Council. The Council was responsible to the Executive Council. <em> Administrative Structure: </em> The Alberta Human Resources Research Council was to be comprised of no more than ten members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, two of whom were members of the Executive Council, and one who was the Director of the Alberta Human Resources Research Council. The Lieutenant Governor would appoint a chairman from the members from the Executive Council. <em> Names of the Corporate bodies: </em> The Alberta Human Resources Research Council was sometimes referred to by its acronym, HRRC. <em> Names of Chief Officers: </em> Chairmen of the Alberta Human Resources Research Council:;Raymond Reierson 1968; Robert C. Clark 1968-1971; Helen Hunley 1971-1972; Director of the Alberta Human Resources Research Council: *Dr. L. W. Downey 1968-1972

19th Alberta Dragoons

The 19th Alberta Dragoons had its beginning on December 1, 1905, when three independent squadrons of the Canadian Mounted Rifles were organized. These included "A" squadron at Edmonton, "B" at Strathcona, and "C" at Fort Saskatchewan. It thus became one of the early militia groups in the province. A fourth squadron was established at St. Albert in 1907 and in the following year the government designated it as "a four squadron regiment" named the "19th Alberta Mounted Rifles". The four squadrons then received the well known title of 19th Alberta Dragoons on January 3, 1911. The 19th Alberta Dragoons and the Alberta Mounted Rifles were amalgamated on February 16, 1936 as the 19th Alberta Dragoons. On April 1, 1946, the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 101st Regiment Edmonton Fusiliers were amalgamated and redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers)". It was further redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment" on February 4, 1949, "19th Alberta Dragoons (19th Armoured Car Regiment)" on November 1, 1954, and back to "19th Alberta Dragoons" on May 19, 1958. During the First World War, (1914-1919) the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in France and Flanders. During the Second World War (1939-1945), the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in the Reserve Army.

University of Calgary. Board of Governors

In September 1982, there was a re-organization of Board committees. At that time, the terms of reference for the Business and Finance Committee were rescinded, and new terms of reference were approved for the Finance Committee. The newly created Finance Committee assumed the duties previously looked after by the Business and Finance Committee. The terms of reference were: a) Reviews and makes recommendations concerning university finance, operating and capital grant requests, operating and capital budgets, policies and procedures and any related matters, financial statements, and tuition fees; and b) Oversees the activities of the Investment Committee, the Audit Committee, and the University Budget Committee. Another re-organization of Board committees took place in December 1986. At that time, the Finance Committee and the Business and Building Committee were discharged, and the Planning and Budget Committee and the Operations and Finance Committee were created. The terms of reference for the Audit Committee were also revised at that time to acknowledge its new status as a standing committee.

Resultaten 31 tot 40 van 22662