Mostrando 23657 resultados

Persona/organización

Alberta. Ministry of Community Development

<em>Dates of founding and/or dissolution:</em> The Alberta Multiculturalism Commission was founded as the Alberta Multicultural Commission in 1988 under the authority of the <em>Alberta Cultural Heritage Amendment Act, </em>S.A. 1987 c. 4. The Commission was renamed in 1990 and was dissolved in 1996 with the repeal of the Act. <em>Functional responsibility:</em> The Alberta Multiculturalism Commission was responsible for the development and delivery of multicultural programs in Alberta. The Commission also advised the Minister responsible on multicultural issues and made recommendations on multiculturalism legislation. The Commission's public programming activities focused on providing support to communities and ethno-cultural organizations and public education programs. <em>Predecessor and successor bodies:</em> On April 1, 1988, the Multicultural Commission assumed the assets and liabilities of the Alberta Cultural Heritage Foundation, dissolved March 31, 1988. The Multiculturalism Commission inherited from the Cultural Heritage Foundation responsibility for providing operating support to the Alberta Cultural Heritage Council. <em>Administrative relationships:</em> The Commission reported to the Minister of Culture and Multiculturalism (1987-92) and the Minister of Community Development (1992-96). <em> Administrative structure:</em> The Commission was made up of members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council. Board members include a Members of the Legislative Assembly as Chairman, four members of the general public, the Chairman of the Alberta Cultural Heritage Council, and the Executive Director of the Commission. The Commission's staff was made up of the former Cultural Development Division of the Department of Culture and Multiculturalism. <em>Names of the corporate bodies:</em> Alberta Multicultural Commission *1988-90; Alberta Multiculturalism Commission 1990-96;<em>Names of chief officers:</em> Chairmen of the Alberta Multiculturalism Commission: ; John Oldring, MLA 1988-89; Steve Zarusky, MLA 1989-93; Yvonne Fritz, MLA 1993-96

Edmonton Grads

The Edmonton Grads club formed after 1940 to coordinate reunions of the Edmonton Grads, a women's basketball team Acting as a form of alumni association, the Club held reunions and took part in the ceremony inducting the team into Edmonton Hall of Fame in 1973. Abbie Scott served as its secretary during the 1960s and 1970s.

Berry, Matt

Wilfrid Reid "Wop" May was born April 20, 1896 in Carberry, Manitoba, the son of Alexander E. and Elizabeth (Reid) May. The May family came to Edmonton, North West Territories in 1902. May received his education in Edmonton public schools, as well as the Western Canadian College in Calgary, Alberta and Alberta College in Edmonton. In 1916, he enlisted with the 202nd Edmonton Sportsmen's Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, and in 1917 transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and served with 209th Squadron of the Royal Air Force until 1919, attaining the rank of captain in 1918. While serving, May is known for helping take down the German pilot Baron von Richthofen; as well, he shot down thirteen other German aircrafts. For his service May was awarded with the Distinguish Flying Cross. Returning to Edmonton, May operated May Airplanes Limited (Ltd.), which later became May-Gorman Airplanes Ltd. The business folded in 1924, and May began work with the National Cash Register Company in Dayton, Ohio. On November 19 of that same year he married Violet Bode. In 1927, the Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club was established and May became its first president as well as the chief flying instructor. He tried the aviation business again in 1928, when he, Victor Horner and Charles Becker organized Commercial Airways Ltd., which received the contract for airmail service to the Mackenzie River District. As a well respected bush pilot, May is known for his and Vic Horner's January 1929 flight to Fort Vermilion to deliver medicine to prevent a diphtheria outbreak. In 1929 he was awarded with the J. Danzell McKee trophy for aviation achievement. In 1935 he was made a member of the Order of the British Empire. Beginning 1936 May was appointed superintendent of the Mackenzie River district for Canadian Airways. During the Second World War May managed the Number Two Air Observer School, an air training school at the Edmonton Airport in Edmonton, operated under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, and beginning in 1942 May was supervisor of all Canadian Airway Training Ltd. School in western Canada; the Edmonton school closed in 1944. In 1943 he organized a training program for a first aid parachute crew to help bring aid to pilots who crashed in remote areas. After the war May returned to his position as superintendent of Mackenzie River district for Canadian Pacific Airlines (which had purchased Canadian Airways). In 1946, he became the regional traffic manager, in 1947 director of northern development, and in 1949 director of development in Vancouver, British Columbia. May managed the Canadian Pacific Airlines repair depot in Calgary beginning in 1951. Wilfrid Reid "Wop" May died June 21, 1952 while on vacation with his son in Provo, Utah. Arthur Massey (Matt) Berry was born on June 19, 1888 in March, Ontario. During WWI, Berry joined the 30th Wellington Rifles, traveling overseas with the 153rd Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force as a Captain. Berry transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in England and upon graduation as a pilot, served as a flying instructor with the 189th Canadian Training Squadron of the RFC in Deseronto, Ontario. Berry left the service in 1919 and obtained a Canadian pilot's certificate. He worked for the Soldier's Settlement Board in Ottawa for two years before taking a homestead near Rimbey, Alberta. In 1928 at Camp Borden, Ontario, he took a pilot's course with the Royal Canadian Air Force, then, obtained his commercial pilot's license. Berry joined Northern Aerial Mineral Exploration Limited (NAME) at Hudson Ontario and flew from bases in Northern Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta into the Hudson Bay area and throughout the Northwest Territories. Berry joined Canadian Airways Limited in 1931 and flew charters out of Tashota, Ontario. In 1932, after the cancellation of Prairie Airmail Service left Berry without employment, Berry joined General Airways, flying out of Chapleau, Ontario. Later that year he joined Mackenzie Air Services at Edmonton, and he graduated with honors from a Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) course at Camp Borden in instrument flying and radio beam work. Berry then returned to flying duties with Canadian Airways Limited and in 1936 was awarded the McKee Trophy for several hazardous flights to the Arctic coast, and pilot rescue missions. Berry retired from professional flying to become manager of Northern Transportation Limited in Edmonton in 1937, holding the position until the Canadian government requested his service in WWII as second-in-command of No.7 Air Observer's School at Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. In 1942, Berry oversaw construction of airfields in the Northwest Territories and the Canol Project for the United States government. At the end of the war Berry founded Territories Air Service Limited at Fort Smith, Northwest Territories and became involved with M.W. Ward in Yellowknife Airways Limited. In 1951, Berry disposed of his interests in both companies to Associated Airways Limited in 1951. Until his retirement in 1969, he occupied himself with various mining ventures. Berry died in Edmonton on May 12, 1970. He married Eileen May Johnson and they had two children: Kathleen Elizabeth (b. 1918) and Arthur Lawrence (b. 1925).

Matthews (family)

  • paa
  • Familia

Frank Bowden Matthews was born November 9, 1875. He moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba circa (ca.) 1908 when he became district manager of R.G. Dun & Company (Co.). In April 1911 he married Vieva May Kelly, daughter of Mary Louise Bremner and Andrew Kelly, prominent businessman and former mayor of Brandon, Manitoba. Frank and Vieva moved to Edmonton, Alberta, ca. 1913, when Frank joined Allan, Killam & MacKay Limited (Ltd.) to establish the firm's Edmonton branch. Frank was later manager of the United Coal Co. Ltd. and Matthews Co. Ltd. Frank and Vieva had one son, Andrew Kelly, who was born September 7, 1913; he died on September 19, 1931 from polio. Frank died November 29, 1955 and Vieva on May 11, 1976.

Manning, Ernest C.

  • uofa
  • Persona

Politician, 1908- . Ernest C. Manning is a long-time proponent of social credit and former leader of the Social Credit Party of Alberta. He served as a member of the Legislative Assembly (1935- 1968) and as Premier (1943-1968). Nationally, he was a member of the Senate from 1970 to 1983. In these interviews he describes 35 years of politics and government in Alberta.

Anderson-Wilson, James

James Anderson-Wilson, 1896-1985, grew up in Calgary, Alberta but was educated in Scotland. He joined the 103rd Calgary Rifles in 1912, was a sergeant at the outbreak of First World War, and served in the RFC and RAF in 1918. He worked in Winnipeg for a number of years, and in 1930 rejoined the militia. At the outbreak of Second World War he was adjutant of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and was its commander overseas in 1942. He returned to Winnipeg to the Reformed Winnipeg Grenadiers and commanded the 15th Canadian Combat Team in the Aleutian Islands in 1942-1943. After his discharge he joined the British Foreign Service holding the equivalent rank of Major General. He was awarded a military OBE in 1946. He returned to Canada in 1971. He was married twice, first to Elsie Vera Zieman of Toronto, and secondly to Noreen Milner Greenyer of Sussex, England. There were no children. His wife, Noreen, bought the Manors of Ashwellthorpe and Wreningham, Norfolk, England in 1943. He retired to Grenada, West Indies.

Cole, Catherine

Catherine Cole is a historian based in Edmonton, and the author of "Inventive Spirit: Alberta Patents 1905 to 1975".

MacBride Museum

The Klondike Mines Railway operated from 1906 to 1913. The trains travelled from Dawson City, Yukon to Sulphur Springs, a distance of 31 miles. The KMR was conceived as a way to provide a transportation service to the many people living on the creeks. Plans for building the railway were begun in 1899 by Thomas O'Brien and partners but by the time the KMR began operation a good road system had been developed and passenger demand had decreased. The train hauled freight and cordwood until it was no longer economically feasible.

Dawson City Museum

  • dcm
  • Entidad colectiva

The Dawson City Museum developed a walking tour in 1978 in an attempt to increase the range of their public programming. The walking tour was designed as a comprehensive tour of Dawson City's historic buildings and sites to give the visitor an overview of the town's history. Joy Brown was employed by the museum to conduct the tours. Parks Canada eventually took over walking tours around Dawson City, Yukon and the summer programmimg at the Dawson City Museum occasionally integrates street performances with these tours.

Resultados 41 a 50 de 23657