Showing 282 results

Authority record
Family

Coppock (family)

  • glen-715
  • Family
  • 1874-1979

Ralph Clifton Coppock, 1874-1943, was born in Kansas, USA, where he ran a dairy and feedlot operation as a young man. He married in 1902 and had four children, Ralph, Kenneth, Dorothy (Bugge) and Gerald. In 1912 he moved to High River, Alberta and bought a ranch 30 km west of town. He sold this ranch in 1918 and in 1920 leased land at Madden, west of Crossfield. He sold his stock and moved to California in 1929, but returned to Alberta in 1931 and bought the Merino Ranch near Morley. It had originally been part of the Cochrane Ranche. When he died his son, Kenneth, took over operations until 1946 when the land was sold to the Department of Indian Affairs. Kenneth, 1904-1979, started Canadian Cattlemen magazine in 1938 and was the first editor. He sold the magazine in 1953. He was secretary of the Western Stock Growers' Association for many years. He founded Kenway Saddle and Leather Company in Calgary in 1949, and ran it until retiring to California ca. 1967. Kenway Saddle bought out the Visalia Stock Saddle Company of California in 1958. Kenneth Coppock was married to Elyse Gertrude Preston, 1912-1991, and they had two children, Allan J., 1948-2013, and Carolyn (Relyea). For further information see "This Cattleman...the founder of Canadian Cattlemen" in Canadian Cattlemen. -- vol. 26, no.6 (June 1963), p. 3, 8, 52-55.

Cote, Walter

  • glen-725
  • Family
  • 1886-1967

Walter Anthony Cote, 1886-1967, was born in Wolcott, Indiana, USA, and came to the Langdon area of Alberta in 1909. He worked for local farmers and irrigation works before establishing his own farm in 1916. In 1907 he married Ethel Foreman, ?-1933, and they had thirteen children, Bernice, ?-1933, Cecil, Estel, Luella (Pickle), Melva (Miller), Burrell "Dude", Eloise (Aitkins), Darrell, Murray, Genevieve (Wegener), Milton, ?-1949, Yvonne (Fawkes), and Ramona Dawn (Dennis). Walter's brothers, Paul, ?-1958, Charles, 1895-1938, and Phillip, 1888-?, lived nearby.

Cousins (family)

  • MED
  • Family
  • 1884-[ca.1956]

William Cousins was born in London, Ontario, in 1856, and arrived in Medicine Hat in 1883, with a wagon load of goods. He set up a small tent located in present day Riverside Park, and operated one of the first General Stores there. He briefly returned to Ontario in 1884, but came back to Medicine Hat with a new bride, Jessie (nee Thornton), and more goods for the store. The Cousins had 4 children: Jessie, Isabel, Grace and Gerald. William entered into partnership with H.S. Scatcherd and continued in the general store business until 1900, when he sold to Albert DesBrisay. He then moved onto other business ventures including real estate and ranching. William Cousins was very active in community affairs. He served as the first Clerk of the Supreme Court of the NWT, as Justice of the Peace, and as Registrar of Bills of Sale and Mortgages. He was a founder and early President of the Medicine Hat Agricultural Society, a co-founder of the Cypress Club (1902), a Hospital Board and Board of Trade member, and President of the Southeastern Alberta Navigation Company, the company responsible for the building and short-lived paddlesteamer "The City of Medicine Hat". He also had the distinction of holding the office of Mayor (1907-1908). He was a staunch Conservative and first President of the local Conservative Association. He twice entered the newspaper business, having owned "The Times" in Medicine Hat from 1889-1894. In 1903, the owners changed the newspapers name to "The Medicine Hat News" and were firm supporters of the Liberals. Mr. Cousins felt the town needed a Conservative voice so assisted in organizing another newspaper "The Medicine Hat Times", which was published until 1916. In 1938, Mr. Cousins authored a newspaper column in the Lethbridge Herald, entitled "Old Timer Tells ...", which contain many first-hand reminiscences of the early history of Medicine Hat. William passed away in Medicine Hat in 1940, at the age of 84. Son Gerald was born on January 25, 1888. His sister Grace remembered him as a generous, personable young man, interested only in ranching. He served overseas in WWI, after which his Father "set him up" on a ranch near Medicine Hat until the ranching venture failed in the 1930's. Gerald later went to Whiterock, BC. He was married to a widow, and the couple did not have any children. Relatively little is known of daughters Jessie and Isabel. Jessie married Bill Elliott, a former business partner of her Fathers. Isabel remained unmarried and at home, working with her other sister Grace in the family insurance business. Isabel passed away in 1956. Grace, the third daughter, was born on February 29, 1896. She received her elementary education at Medicine Hat attending Toronto Street School, but went on to complete her education in Toronto at St. Margaret's College. She worked as a legal stenographer in Calgary and Swift Currant for a time, but returned to help run her Father's insurance business with her sister, following his death. During WWII, Grace ran the Christmas Seal and Victory Loan Campaigns, and worked with the Kinsmen Club. She retired from business in 1956, following the death of her sister. Grace Cousins passed away on May 2, 1987, having never married.

Cowdry (family)

  • glen-729
  • Family
  • 1849-1947

Nathaniel Harrington Cowdry, 1849-1925, born in England, and his brother John Cowdry, 1857-1947, born in Toronto, Ontario, moved from Ontario to Regina in 1882 and then to Fort Macleod, Alberta in 1886. They established the town's first bank, known as Cowdry Brothers in 1886. In 1905 the bank was sold to the Canadian Bank of Commerce, at which time Nathaniel continued in the banking business in Ontario, and John took up ranching near Pincher Creek. Nathaniel married Anna Ingham and they had one son, Edmund. In 1885 John married Emma Gaisford Whitney, 1866-1893, and they had four children, Mary Adelaide (Hanning), 1887-1942, Frederic Thomas, 1888-1888, Augustus Nathaniel, 1891-1935, and John, 1893-1893. John Cowdry's second marriage was to Annie Augusta Thompson, in 1898 and they had one daughter Augusta Edith Alice (Chamberlin), 1899-1986. The John Cowdry family subsequently moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, where Augustus worked for the Dominion Machinery Company and Anglo-American Trading Company in the late 1920s and 1930s. For further information see Henry Klassen's article "Cowdry Brothers : Private Bankers in Southwestern Alberta, 1886-1905" in Alberta History. - vol. 37, no. 1 (Winter, 1989).

Cox, A.E. Sykes, Mabel Cox

  • glen
  • Family

Arthur Edgar Cox, 1856-1946, was born in England. He emigrated to the USA, and in 1882 journeyed from there to Winnipeg to join a Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) construction crew. He spent 1883 with a Dominion Land Survey party near Maple Creek, and in 1884 moved to Pincher Creek, Alberta where he became the town's first school teacher. He taught there until 1891. He married Mary Elizabeth Willock in 1887 in Fort Macleod, and they settled on a ranch near Pincher Creek. Mary, 1868-1940, was born in Ontario, and came with her family to the Pincher Creek area in 1883. A.E. and Mary had thirteen children, Margery Caroline May, 1888-1973, Eva Cicely, 1890-1980, George Francis, 1892-1972, Millicent, 1894-1983, Dorothea Isabella, 1895-1979, Arthur Edgar, 1897-1976, Mabel Gertrude (Sykes), 1900-1999, Thomas William, 1902-1969, Florence Emily, 1904-1997, Alfred Charles Linney, 1906-[died as infant], Norma Alexandrina (Goodwin), 1908- , infant daughter, 1911-1911, and Vera Irene, 1912-1996. In 1897 A.E. was appointed the Dominion Lands sub-agent at Pincher Creek. He also acted as a land agent for the Calgary and Edmonton Land Company (on behalf of Osler, Hammond and Nanton), and the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC). He continued to ranch while running the office in town. Their daughter, Mabel, was a nurse at the Calgary General Hospital from ca.1920 until 1943 when she married Thomas E. Sykes. For further information see Sheilagh S. Jameson's article "Trials of a Dominion Land Agent" in Glenbow [magazine]. -- vol. 3, no. 4 (July 1970), p. 8.

Cramer, Allen Alfred

  • ath
  • Family
  • 1886-1990

Allen Cramer was born in Big Run, Pennsylvania, the youngest of seven children born to Jacob and Elizabeth Cramer. He first came to Canada in 1910. He joined the United States navy in 1918. He returned to Canada in 1920. In 1928 he filed on the first homestead in the Wandering River area of AB. In 1935 he sold this homestead and obtained land where the La Biche River flows into the Athabasca River. He built a store and house on that site. In the 1960s Allen operated a general store near Slave Lake. In 1985 he moved to Athabasca. He is buried in the Athabasca cemetery.

Crawford (family)

  • glen-3583
  • Family
  • 1915-2006

George Lyndon Crawford, 1915-2006, was born in Edmonton, Alberta. He graduated with a law degree from the University of Alberta, was called to the bar in 1939, and began his legal career with Milner Steer in Edmonton. In 1945 he joined Eric Harvie and Ted Arnold as a partner in the Harvie, Arnold and Crawford law firm in Calgary. He ended his legal career with Parlee McLaws, retiring in 2000. He and his wife Sheila had four daughters, Anne, Sally (Gross), Erica (Galeski) and Eve.

Croken family

  • SPRA-0112
  • Family
  • unknown

Patrick Vincent (Patty) and Gregory Rudoph (Rudy) Croken were born in Emerald, Prince Edward Island. In 1916 they made their first trip into the Peace Country, bringing cattle and machinery up to Bezanson, where they hoped to farm.
Patrick bought his first store in the Bezanson town site from Peterson and McDonald—a big two-storey building with 12 rooms upstairs and a store downstairs. It was the beginning of a long career in the store and hotel business.
When the railway went to Peace River instead of through Bezanson, Patrick and Rudolph sold the store and their cattle and moved back to Winnipeg. Patty married Rose Desiree Fromont of Belgium in Grande Prairie 1919. In 1923, Patty and Rose (known as Daisy) returned to the Peace River Country and rented a store in Grande Prairie, calling it the P.V. Croken General Store. Rudy Croken also returned to work as a U.G.G. grain elevator agent in Clairmont. He married Jennie Tomshak, and in 1954 the couple later built a home on 105 Avenue in Grande Prairie.
Patrick and Daisy had one son, also named Patrick, who received his education in Grande Prairie, and worked as a draftsman in Edmonton. Rudy and Jennie had three sons, Eugene, Dennis and John and one daughter, Betty.

Cross, A.E. (family)

  • glen-750
  • Family
  • 1861-2003

Alfred Ernest Cross, 1861-1932, was born in Montreal and came to Alberta in 1884. The following year he started the A7 Ranche west of Nanton, Alberta. He founded the Calgary Brewing and Malting Company in 1892, and was president until his death. He served on the North-West Assembly from 1899 to1902. He was a founding member of the Western Stock Growers' Association, Calgary Board of Trade and the Ranchmen's Club (for which he served as president, 1906-1908 and 1911-1912), and was one of the "Big Four" who founded the Calgary Stampede. He was also instrumental in establishing Alberta's petroleum industry. He started Calgary Petroleum Products in 1912, and was a director of Canadian Western Natural Gas. In 1964 A. E. Cross School in Calgary was named in his honour and in 2007 he was inducted into the Calgary Business Hall of Fame. In 1971 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated Cross as a National Historic Person. In 1899 he married Helen Rothney Macleod, 1878-1959, daughter of renowned North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) Commissioner James F. Macleod. The Crosses had seven children, five of whom survived: James Braehead Cross, 1903-1990, Mary (Dover), 1905-1994, Margaret "Marmo" (Shakespeare), 1912-1979, Alexander R. "Sandy" Cross, 1914-2003, and John M. Cross, 1916-1991. Two died in infancy: Helen Macleod, 1900-1904, and Selkirk Macleod, 1901-1904. Helen was very active in the Calgary Diocese Women's Auxiliary (Anglican church) and the Calgary General Hospital Ladies Aid. J.B. Cross succeeded his father as president of the Calgary Brewing and Malting Company in 1932, and also managed the A7 Ranche from 1932 to 1945. Sandy Cross was a well-known breeder of Galloway and Shorthorn cattle on Rothney Farm, south of Calgary. For further biographical information about the family, see Braehead : Three Founding Families in Nineteenth Century Canada / Sherrill MacLaren. -- Toronto : McClelland and Stewart, 1986; Henry Klassen's article, "Entrepreneurship in the Canadian West : The Enterprises of A.E. Cross, 1886-1920" in Western Historical Quarterly, vol. 22, no. 3, (August 1991), p. 313-333; and Gayle Thrift's article, "This is our War, Too: Mary Dover, Commandant of the Canadian Women's Army Corps", in Alberta History, vol. 59, no. 3, (summer 2011), p. 2-12.

Cummings, Eaglesham (family)

  • glen-3385
  • Family
  • fl. 1900-1981

Eva and Margaret Eaglesham, sisters, were born near Clifford, Ontario. Their parents were William Eaglesham, 1866-1949, and Mrs. Eaglesham, 1866-1936, and they had four siblings, Anne (Becker), Elliott, John and Hugh. The family moved from Ontario to McTaggart, Saskatchewan ca. 1905, the in March 1909 moved to a farm near Cayley, Alberta. The children attended Braeside School. Margaret trained as a teacher and taught at Cayley, Coaldale and Lethbridge. She retired to Lethbridge. Eva Eaglesham married Ted Cummings in 1920 and they had five children, Keith, Lloyd, Doreen (Orman), Elaine (Edey), and Wesley. They farmed near Cayley until retiring to High River in 1965. Edwin "Ted" Cummings was born in Devonshire, England and moved to Canada in 1911, first to Ontario, then to the Cayley, Alberta area about 1914. He married Eva Eaglesham and they had five children: Lloyd, Keith, Doreen (Orman), Elaine (Edey) and Wesley.

Results 51 to 60 of 282