Showing 20978 results

Authority record

A. H. Lynch-Staunton Butcher Shop

  • pinc
  • Corporate body

A. H. Lynch-Staunton, 1860?-1932, born in Hamilton, Ontario, was a member of the North West Mounted Police (NWMP) detachment sent to establish a horse breeding farm at Pincher Creek, Alberta in 1878. He took his discharge from the NWMP in 1880, and established the first cattle ranch in the district. Among the enterprises associated with his ranch was a butcher shop which supplied meat to the mining communities of the Crowsnest Pass. His descendants have continued to be active in ranching and political life in Alberta.

A-20 Army Camp

  • RED
  • Corporate body
  • 1939-1944

A-20 Army Camp was a training ground for 1,500 to 1,800 soldiers that were stationed in Red Deer during World War II. The original army barrack [building] was moved to Knee Hill, Albert in 1948 when locals wanted to create a community hall and curling rink. During a much needed renovation of the 60-year-old roof, these records were found in the attic amongst the wood-chip insulation.

Aaker, Henry

  • MED
  • Person
  • 1930-

Henry Aaker's parents originally lived in the Drumheller area with his mother's family. His father was Swedish and his mother, Valena Hood, a Metis.. His mother was a deaf mute who had gone to school in Winnipeg and later worked in a café. Henry's parents moved to Conrad, Montana and Henry was born there on May 5, 1930, however, his mother left his father and a daughter, when Henry was just six weeks old. Valena returned to Saratoga Park in Medicine Hat, where her mother, Louisa Cayenne, now lived. Louisa had five daughters and six sons, whom she raised single-handed. Some of Louisa's children were: Joseph, Napoleon (Nap), John, Jasper, Jimmy, Virginia (Pinney), Emily (Swain), Flora (Alldorf) and Valena (Aaker). Henry's mother died young, and he and his future wife, Phyllis, were raised by his grandmother, Louisa. Henry was nicknamed "Yank" as he had been born in the States. Mrs. Louisa Cayenne appears to have been someone of importance in the "village" of Saratoga Park, where most families were related. Apparently, Louisa had been given her land by Mr. Mitchell and was considered a "squatter", along with most of the other residents who lived there. Saratoga Park was located in the Flats area, bounded by Bridge Street, Allowance Avenue and Seven Persons Creek. Henry and Phyllis were married March 17 1951 at St. Barnabas Church in the midst of a blizzard. As a Metis, it was often difficult to obtain work but Henry secured a position and worked at the local Iron Works for 28 years. Henry and Phyllis raised two children, a son, Henry Jr., and a daughter, Joanne. Phyllis died on October 19, 2001.

Aaron, Ted

  • jhse

Ted Aaron was born in 1918 in Edmonton to Abe Aaron, a fur trader from Lithuania, and Julia Grausbord of Oxbow, Saskatchewan. Ted obtained his BSc and MD degrees from the University of Alberta, and left to study in the United States, where he specialized in allergy research at Roosevelt and Mt. Sinai Hospitals in New York, and was later awarded a fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh. He was the first Jewish doctor hired in Boston at the Lahey clinic. He later returned to Edmonton as the first allergist in Western Canada and became a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta. He published over 50 professional papers and wrote three chapters in Medical texts. He was selected as one of the 100 Physicians of the Century by the Alberta Medical Association in 2005. In addition to his professional activities, he served on the Board of the Beth Shalom Synagogue, the Alberta Boy Scout Association, the Edmonton Symphony, was President of the Alberta Ballet, and President of the Association of Christians and Jews. Dr. Aaron married Gloria Shapiro in 1947, and they have three children: Dr. Stephen Aaron, Arlene Morin and Susan Aaron.

Aasman, Gerda

  • MED

Gerda (nee?) was born in Holland and immigrated to Canada with her family in 1950, following the Second World War. They settled in the Taber and Iron Springs area. In 1953, Gerda and her family (parents, one brother, and one sister) came to Medicine Hat. Another sister was born in 1955. Gerda met Henry Aasman in 1960, and were married in June 1962. In 1963 they purchased a vacant house on Casey Aasman's property and settled there. They had two children, Rory (born in 1965) and Chandra (born in 1968). The family still lives on the farm, just north of Cypress Packers.

A.B. Simpson

  • auc
  • Person
  • 1843-1919

Albert Benjamin Simpson was born to James and Jane Simpson in Bayview, Prince Edward Island on December 15, 1843. As a young child, his family relocated to a homestead outside of Chatham, Ontario. A. B. Simpson entered Knox College, Toronto in the fall of 1861 in order to prepare for the ministry. In the summer of 1865, fresh out of seminary, the twenty-one year old Simpson accepted the call to the pulpit of Knox Church in Hamilton, Ontario. He was officially ordained by the Hamilton Presbytery on September 12, 1865. The next day, he was married to Margaret Henry of Toronto. In October of 1873, he was invited to the pastorate of Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, which he accepted in December of that year. In September of 1879, he relocated to New York City to become the pastor of Thirteenth Street Presbyterian. Burdened by a heart for the lost and forgotten peoples in far away lands, in early 1880 Simpson began editing and producing an illustrated missionary periodical which he entitled, The Gospel in All Lands. In the summer of 1881, his health in shambles underneath a tremendous workload, Simpson's body was miraculously healed, an experience which not only prolonged his life, but would prove formative for the following decades of his ministry. In October of the same year, finding himself in disagreement with the Presbyterian position on infant baptism, and troubled by the reticence of the congregation to reach out to the lost of the city, Simpson tendered his resignation from both the church and presbytery. Within two weeks, he began conducting public meetings in rented halls. By 1883, the new church which Simpson led had grown to 217 members, and his Sunday night outreach services were regularly attracting crowds of 700 people. Halfway through the year his congregation incorporated legally under the name Gospel Tabernacle. In 1882, Simpson launched another missionary periodical named The Word, the Work and the World. In March of 1883, his congregation formed its own missionary society, "The Missionary Union for the Evangelization of the World". In October of the same year, the Gospel Tabernacle launched the Missionary Training College. In October of 1885, Simpson held a convention which brought together a number of ministers from across denominational lines. Following the convention, Simpson, along with several of the key speakers from the convention, undertook a multi-city tour. In 1886, Simpson was invited to bring a similar convention to Old Orchard camp in Main. It was out of this convention that a movement was sparked which would consolidate in the form of two complementary alliances, the "Christian Alliance" and the "Evangelical Missionary Alliance". The following summer at the second gathering at Old Orchard in August of 1887, the constitutions to both alliances were finalized and adopted. The two alliances were not formed with an eye towards constructing a fresh denomination. Rather, the alliances were to function as "spiritual catalysts among existing denominations for holy living and world missions."1 By 1893, the Alliance had fielded 180 missionaries throughout the world. By 1895, that number had grown to almost 300. In 1897, the Missionary Training College was moved to Nyack, NY, and assumed the name of "Missionary Training Institute". A. B Simpson continued tirelessly in his full schedule of preaching to congregations, speaking at conventions, teaching at Nyack, writing books and magazine articles, and leading and administrating a growing international movement. On October 29, 1919, A. B. Simpson went to be with the Lord. Paul Rader, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago, succeeded Simpson as president of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. More biographical information on Simpson as well as information concerning the early history of the Christian and Missionary Alliance can be found in the book by R. Nicklaus, J. Sawin and S. Stoesz entitled, All for Jesus: God at Work in the Christian and Missionary Alliance over One Hundred Years. (Camp Hill, Penn.: Christian Publications Inc., 1986).

Results 61 to 70 of 20978