Showing 46 results

Authority record
Athabasca Archives

"Within Our Borders," an Alberta Government publication

  • Ath 91.41
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - 1970

"Within Our Borders" was a publcation of the Alberta Government designed to aquaint readers with government administration and services. It was believed that many and varied services of the government will be effective in the degree they are known. It was mailed to individuals, libraries and other subscribers and was published from 1948 - 1970 when the title was replaced by "Alberta, Land for Living."

A. F. A. Coyne and Company.

  • ath 85.75
  • Corporate body
  • 1919

A. F. A. Coyne & Company set up Petroleum Operators Canadian Offices in Athabasca and proposed to supply natural gas to the Town of Athabasca at the nominal price of one cent per thousand cubic feet. The Offer to Supply was dated October 25th, 1919. A deposit of $500.00 in the form of a cheque was given to the Town of Athabasca to be "forfeited to the town if A. F. A. Coyne and Company do not commence work in the town laying gas pipes and connections and drilling by the first day of August, or have not all homes, buildings supplied with Gas for their use in full supply by the first day of November 1920."

Athabasca Archives Audio Recording Collection

  • ATH AAAR
  • Corporate body
  • 1985 - present

Athabasca and area locals interviewed seniors for their reminiscences of homesteading, farming, logging, rural schools, and recreational activities.

Athabasca Archives map collection

  • ATH Map Collection
  • Corporate body

Athabasca Archives holds prints and copies of maps including Athabasca River, Town of Athabasca, Athabasca County, river lot plan, real estate, planning, sectional sheets W4M, hand-drawn, Hudson Bay Co. reserve, Alberta, Canada and North America maps. The collection also includes blue prints and aerial photos.

Athabasca Area Senior's Memory Project

  • ath18.13
  • Corporate body
  • 2015 -

In 2015, Athabascans Rosemary Neaves and Shirley Stashko, created and coordinated an on-going oral history project, interviewing and recording over 30 seniors' stories in the Athabasca town and county. The project files include metadata and CDroms with audio and images files for each interviewee.

Athabasca Clay Products Ltd.

  • ACP 64-68
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 - 1968

Athabasca Clay Products was a business that operated in Athabasca, Alberta from 1964 - 1968. All items were made from local red clay. Pottery was distributed from numerous gift shops in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, including one on Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.

Athabasca Farmers Market

  • ATH AFM 2019
  • Corporate body
  • 1978 - present

A weekly and/or seasonal Athabasca and area Farmers Market was researched in January 1978 and this included a local survey of interest and attendance at an Alberta Agriculture Farmers’ Market seminar in Edmonton. The first Farmers Market was organized by volunteers just prior to Christmas, 1978 and was held in the basement of the Athabasca Community Centre. It may also have been held at the Athabasca Arena at various times during the day on Fridays. It was sponsored by the Athabasca Agricultural Society and one of the early managers was Theresa Keith. Early promotional efforts included cake decorating contests, door prizes and the mention of new visitors in a regular column published the Athabasca Advocate newspaper. Early members include Staffie Rypien, Grace Stychin, Mildred Haggith, Shirley Berezowski, Lilo Sanftl, Pennie Hunter, Otto Christensen, Lorraine Schultz, Joy Richards, Pat Williamson, Dorothy McCue, Maria Muller, Maureen Weymouth, Gwen Wolstenholme, Loreen Dagley, Liz Lamoureux, Mary Bart, Mary Schmidt, Mr. and Mrs. Stellmaker, and a BC fruit producer from Westlock. Annual membership was $10.00. Board positions were president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. All vendors set their own prices and a percentage of sales was given to the Market. Items for sale included fresh baking, farm fresh eggs, hand-made clothing, frozen foods, household items, seasonal bedding plants and crafts.
In 1984, the Farmers Market moved to a retail location on the main floor of Dr. Wright’s building at 4902 – 49 Street, Athabasca and was open six days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. The store was staffed by volunteers. The store location closed on December 19, 2001 due to a number of factors including volunteer burn out and changes in health regulations which made it more difficult to operate in the same way; specifically, food items that were baked in home kitchens and not on site. The Farmers Market Board donated the remaining $4,000.00 in their bank account to the Athabasca Health Care Centre Ladies Auxiliary.
The Athabasca Farmers Market has always operated with the designation of “Alberta Approved Farmers Market.” This means that 80% of good sold are produced in Alberta. It was billed as the only full-time, year-round farmers’ market in Alberta during the years it was located in Dr. Wright’s building.
There was no Farmers Market in Athabasca between the years 2001 and 2004. It was then brought back under the sponsorship of the Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce and again held weekly/seasonally in the basement of the Community Centre. Due to scheduling difficulties at the Community Centre, the Farmers Market was moved to the basement of the Royal Canadian Legion #103 in 2006.
In 2011, a new organization, the North Country Community Council, sponsored the Farmers Market and it is now held every second Saturday from October to May at the Athabasca Regional Multiplex. During the spring and summer months, it is held weekly on the Athabasca riverfront. The Town of Athabasca donated a one-time start up grant of $2,500 in 2012. During the months of January through November, the market has between 25 – 30 tables and peaks with as many as 65 tables in the month before Christmas. The Farmers Market executive has made donations to the Good Samaritan Food Bank and the Athabasca Santas Anonymous annual campaign.

Athabasca Historical Society

  • ath
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-1997

Though initial efforts were made to begin an historical society in Athabasca in 1955, it took until 1983 for the society to be formed. On March 10, 1983, in a meeting at Athabasca Town Hall, sixteen individuals voted unanimously for the creation of the Athabasca Historical Society and Bob Tannas was named its first president. The group, with an intention to preserve the town of Athabasca's history and heritage, published a book: "Athabasca Landing: An Illustrated History" in 1986, and funded a feasibility study for the creation of the Athabasca Interpretative Centre. The Athabasca Interpretive Centre was never built and the Athabasca Historical Society became inactive by the early 1990s. The society was dissolved in 1997.

Athabasca Landing Pool

  • ATHA Landing Pool
  • Corporate body
  • 1980 - 2019

Athabasca Landing Pool was opened on April 1, 1980. the founding broad members were Neil Selinger, Philip Brown, Les Wood, Jack Dixon, and John Shannon.

Athabasca School Division No 42

  • ASD No 42, 20.06
  • Corporate body
  • 1938 - 1959

The Athabasca School Division No. 42 was established by an Order in Council October 22, 1938. It contained five subdivisions and organizational meetings were held in each subdivision in November in the following centres: Subdivision 1 Meanook, Subdivision 2 Athabasca, Subdivision 3 Boyle, Subdivision 4 Plamondon, and Subdivision 5 Craigend. Eric A. Gilders was appointed temporary secretary. ASD No. 42 operated until 1959 when the County of Athabasca No. 12 was formed by combining the Municipal District of Athabasca No. 103 and the Athabasca School Division No. 42. At this time, there were no longer one-room schools in operation, only centralized schools. The first organizational meeting of the board was held on December 21, 1938. The old school districts were officially absorbed as of January 3, 1939 when an Act of Parliament turned over all liabilities and assets of the districts to the School Division.

The original school division contained the following 86 school districts: Keyes 1882, Tawatinaw 2473, Lahaiville 2637, Parkhurst 2645, Plamondon 2696, Dover 2725, South Athabasca 2768, Plum Lake 2815, Toles 2895, Atlanta 2909, Fairhaven 3044, Cash Creek 3045, Lewiston 3093, Meanook 3105, Flat Creek 3106, West Athabasca 3110, Fork Lake 3155, Rodgers Chapter 3159, Colinton 3169, Forest 3171, Dokeville 3173, McArthur 3266, Silver Fox 3273, Willow Ridge 3292, Bouvier 3308, East Park 3349, Ste. Cecile 3377, Irene 3405, Youngville 3621, Baptiste Lake 3651, Grosmont 3639, George Lake 3820, Lee Heights 3821, Greyville 3836, Mangin 3935, Berney 3937, Quebec 3989, Sarrail 4001, Grandin 4066, Big Beaver 4067, Craigend 4088, Granville 4091, Trieste (Hylo) 4101, Venice 4102, Forfar 4105, Forest Grove 4209, Charron 4224, Vincent 4255, Richmond Park 4280, Rich Lake 4329, Monticello 4374, Perryvale 4390, Hammond 4398, New Pine Creek 4473, Big Coulee 4497, Hallcroft 4508, Larvert 4521, Owl River 4526, Rocky Island 4536, Winding Trail 4549, Narrow Lake 4546, Blueberry Ridge 4562, Black Loam 4565, Green Pine 4568, Ferguson 4573, Deer Run 4597, Gamefield 4597, Spruce Park 4618, Cristy Lake 4621, Helina 4629, Spruce Valley 4652.

Several other districts, formed after 19439 were subsequently added to the division. They were: Blue Jay 4658, Willow Flat 4668, Noral 4692, Laura 4722, Gourin 4755, White Clover 4777, Caslan 4780, South Noral 4781, Birch Grover 4808, Dionne 4813, Nelson 4814, Big Bay 4817, Caribou Range 4836, Mercury 4849, Sun Ray 4868, Cumley 4891, Lawrence Lake 4909, Cloverview 4919, Deep Coulee 4959, Ellscott 4960, Locher 4975, Old Trail 4853 and *Twin Spruce 4864.

In 1944 Lac La Biche School Division No. 51 was formed resulting in the transfer of 36 districts (*) in the list.

Results 1 to 10 of 46