Showing 6 results

Authority record
Glenbow Archives Family

Bate (family)

  • glen
  • Family

Arthur E. Bate, 1872-1940, was born in Detroit, Michigan, USA and raised in Ontario. He came west in 1892 and worked near Fort Steele, British Columbia, and then on southern Alberta cattle ranches. In 1898 he married Laura E. Waters, ?-1942, and after several moves they settled on Frenchman River in southwestern Saskatchewan near Shaunavon. The Bates had seven children, Joe, Jim, Abram, Bill, Bessie (White), John, and Tom. Abram and John took over the ranch from their father in 1937. The Bates were Mormons.

Chritchley (family)

  • glen
  • Family

Ernest Thomas Chritchley, 1880-1963, was born in England. He taught high school there until 1903 when he travelled to Canada to look for his younger brother, Harry, who had left home at sixteen. The brothers were reunited in Calgary and together they hauled hay for Pat Burns. Harry went to the Peace River country in 1904 and worked as a trader. He served in First World War and died in Calgary in 1923 of wounds suffered in the war. Ernest boarded on a farm east of Olds, 1903-1904, and worked at various jobs. In 1905 he began working for the Crown Lumber Co. yard in Olds, and the following year he moved to the Calgary yard as yard foreman, bookkeeper and manager. He became managing director in 1915, a position he held until his retirement in 1950. He married Anna Ellithorpe, 1884-1981, in 1907. Anna was born in Illinois, USA and raised in Iowa. Her father was Nathaniel S. Ellithorpe, a farmer. Her mother was Annias E. Stirling (or Sterling), ca. 1869-1886, from New York, who was adopted and renamed Annie Rose Pearce. Anna moved to a homestead east of Olds with her father in 1904. She was a charter member and president of the American Woman's Club and active in their Domestic Science Department. They had one son, Harry F. Chritchley, 1908-1991. Harry F. received a degree in commerce from the University of Alberta in 1930, and worked until 1933 as a teller for the Bank of Commerce in Calgary. He married Marion Gwendolyn Hornibrook, 1910-1987, and they had one son, John H. Chritchley, 1937- . Gwen's parents were T.A. Hornibrook, a former Calgary alderman, and Hazel McKeown. Harry F. became hardware superintendent at Crown Lumber in Calgary in 1935. He served overseas in the Second World War as a lieutenant and captain in the 1st Battalion, Calgary Highlanders. He later became a lieutenant-colonel. In 1950 he was promoted to treasurer and assistant manager at Crown, and secretary and managing director in 1954. He resigned in 1956 and became vice-president of finance at Motor Car Supply Co. He worked for the Glenbow Foundation from 1967-1970, managed the Riveredge Foundation from 1970-1977, and until his retirement in 1979 was a consultant for the Devonian Group and Riveredge.

Cox, A.E. Sykes, Mabel Cox

  • glen
  • Family

Arthur Edgar Cox, 1856-1946, was born in England. He emigrated to the USA, and in 1882 journeyed from there to Winnipeg to join a Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) construction crew. He spent 1883 with a Dominion Land Survey party near Maple Creek, and in 1884 moved to Pincher Creek, Alberta where he became the town's first school teacher. He taught there until 1891. He married Mary Elizabeth Willock in 1887 in Fort Macleod, and they settled on a ranch near Pincher Creek. Mary, 1868-1940, was born in Ontario, and came with her family to the Pincher Creek area in 1883. A.E. and Mary had thirteen children, Margery Caroline May, 1888-1973, Eva Cicely, 1890-1980, George Francis, 1892-1972, Millicent, 1894-1983, Dorothea Isabella, 1895-1979, Arthur Edgar, 1897-1976, Mabel Gertrude (Sykes), 1900-1999, Thomas William, 1902-1969, Florence Emily, 1904-1997, Alfred Charles Linney, 1906-[died as infant], Norma Alexandrina (Goodwin), 1908- , infant daughter, 1911-1911, and Vera Irene, 1912-1996. In 1897 A.E. was appointed the Dominion Lands sub-agent at Pincher Creek. He also acted as a land agent for the Calgary and Edmonton Land Company (on behalf of Osler, Hammond and Nanton), and the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC). He continued to ranch while running the office in town. Their daughter, Mabel, was a nurse at the Calgary General Hospital from ca.1920 until 1943 when she married Thomas E. Sykes. For further information see Sheilagh S. Jameson's article "Trials of a Dominion Land Agent" in Glenbow [magazine]. -- vol. 3, no. 4 (July 1970), p. 8.

Paterson, Wilson family

  • glen
  • Family

John Paterson and Elizabeth Walker married in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1855, and eventually migrated to southern Alberta. They operated one of the first stores in Calgary from 1882 to 1886, then operated a general store in Okotoks. John and Elizabeth Wilson were married in Norwich, England, and settled in Okotoks around 1890, operating a blacksmith shop. Their children William Cameron Paterson and Clara Wilson married in Okotoks in 1900.