Showing 18 results

Authority record
Jewish Archives and Historical Society of Edmonton and Northern Alberta

Aaron, Ted

  • jhse

Ted Aaron was born in 1918 in Edmonton to Abe Aaron, a fur trader from Lithuania, and Julia Grausbord of Oxbow, Saskatchewan. Ted obtained his BSc and MD degrees from the University of Alberta, and left to study in the United States, where he specialized in allergy research at Roosevelt and Mt. Sinai Hospitals in New York, and was later awarded a fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh. He was the first Jewish doctor hired in Boston at the Lahey clinic. He later returned to Edmonton as the first allergist in Western Canada and became a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta. He published over 50 professional papers and wrote three chapters in Medical texts. He was selected as one of the 100 Physicians of the Century by the Alberta Medical Association in 2005. In addition to his professional activities, he served on the Board of the Beth Shalom Synagogue, the Alberta Boy Scout Association, the Edmonton Symphony, was President of the Alberta Ballet, and President of the Association of Christians and Jews. Dr. Aaron married Gloria Shapiro in 1947, and they have three children: Dr. Stephen Aaron, Arlene Morin and Susan Aaron.

Abbott, Sharon

  • jhse

Leslie Sharon Cantor Abbott is a graduate of the University of Alberta, and works as a graphic artist. She is the daughter of Dr. Max and Edith Secter Cantor of Edmonton. She is divorced from Mr. Daniel Charles Abbott of Winnipeg, whom she married in 195? at the Beth Shalom synagogue. Her brother is Paul Cantor of Toronto. She has two children, Laurence and Jennifer. Dr. Max Cantor was a professor of biochemistry at the University of Alberta, and served as Chief Coroner of the Province of Alberta for over 30 years. He won numerous citations and awards during his long and distinguished career. Her mother, Edith Cantor was an active volunteer, mostly with the University of Alberta, and an amateur actress, appearing in many Little Theatre productions.

Adler (family)

  • jhse
  • Family

Meyer Adler was born in New York in 1906. Meyer's wife, Lilly Spiegel was born in Poland in 1906 and came to New York in 1919. The Adlers were married in 1927 and came to Vegreville on their honeymoon to visit their uncle, Louis Berg. Meyer Adler, impressed with the countryside and the economic possibilities of the region, bought a confectionery store from Mr. Berg and went into business in Vegreville. Over the years, the Adlers operated several stores in Vegreville before opening Adler's Department Store in 1964. The Adlers had five children, Sid, Bernie, Eli, Ted, and Diane. All five children attended university at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Bernie and Eli became dentists, Sid returned to Vegreville to run the Adler store, Ted became involved in the manufacture of furniture, and Diane became involved in real estate. Adler's department store closed in 1995 and Sid Adler retired to Edmonton. Meyer Adler passed away in 1979 and Lilly Adler died in 1985. Eli Adler married Phyllis Smordin, and they had four children. Phyllis was a Negev Dinner Honouree in 2005.

Baltzan (family)

  • jhse
  • Family

Jacob A. Baltzan was born in Leova, Bessarabia in 1873. After serving with the Russian Army, Mr. Baltzan immigrated to New York. His wife, Nina (Gershcovitz) and daughters Katie and Tosha joined him later in America. Dissatisfied with New York City, Mr. Baltzan moved the family to a Jewish pioneer colony near Lipton, Saskatchewan. Due to poor crops at the colony, the Baltzan's moved to Govan, Saskatchewan until finally settling in Edmonton. Once in Edmonton, Jacob Baltzan became actively involved in the city's burgeoning Jewish community, helping to establish the burial society Chevra Kadisha in 1913, and was a major force in the founding of Edmonton's Talmud Torah Day School, the first Hebrew Day School in Canada. Nina Baltzan was the founder of the Talmud Torah Mother's Auxiliary, was one of the founders of the Edmonton Section of the National Council of Jewish Women and the Ladies Chevra Kadisha. The Baltzan's had one son Hy, born in Edmonton in 1913. Through his activities in various Jewish organizations, Hy Baltzan would become one of the most prominent members of the Edmonton Jewish community. Hy Baltzan was president of B'nai Brith Lodge 732 and the Jewish Community Council, national and regional vice-president of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Founding president of the Jewish Senior Citizen's Drop-in Centre, chairman of the Community Council Archives, and served on the executive of several other community organizations. Hy Baltzan was Negev Dinner honouree in 1976. Hy Baltzan and his wife Celia had three daughters, Mrs. Jaclyn Schulman, Mrs. Gail Schloss, and Nina Baltzan.

Beth Shalom Synagogue

  • jhse
  • Corporate body

In 1928, a group of members of Beth Israel Synagogue, unhappy with the overcrowding of the synagogue during High Holiday services and with the blessing of the synagogue, began holding separate services in the Talmud Torah School building. In 1932, the congregation was incorporated as Beth Shalom Synagogue with J. Eisen as the congregation's first rabbi. In 1950, after considerable discussion, sod turning began on a new synagogue building at 11916 Jasper Ave. In 1951, services and activities began in the partially completed Beth Shalom building. Once the building was completed, it housed the synagogue along with a new Community Centre Association, a library, a theatre, and two full kitchens. With the founding of a Jewish Youth Centre and then a Jewish Community Centre in Edmonton, many of the activities that had taken place in the synagogue moved to the new facilities. In February 1980, an arson attack on the synagogue resulted in over $300, 000 in interior damages. Beth Shalom Synagogue is a conservative synagogue and a member of the Association of Conservative Synagogues of America.

Cantor, Max

  • jhse
  • Person

Dr. Maxwell Mordecai Cantor was born in Winnipeg on April 1, 1903. He obtained his B.Sc. degree from the University of Manitoba in 1924, and his M.D. in 1929. He pursued post-graduate studies at the Universities of Alberta and Toronto, at the Pratt institute in Boston and at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. For nearly 40 years, Dr. Cantor taught at the University of Alberta. He held the position of Chief Coroner of Alberta for nearly thirty years, and served as Chief Coroner of the Yukon and Northwest Territories as well. Dr. Cantor received the Red Cross Gold Medal in 1941, the Centennial Medal in 1967, and a Government of Alberta achievement award for forensic medicine in 1972. He was a charter member of the Beth Shalom Synagogue and of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. He married Edith Rose Secter of Winnipeg in 1936. Edith was long known as a patron of the arts in Edmonton. Max passed away in 1981, Edith in 2001. Their daughter Sharon Abbott is a graphic artist, and their son Paul is the Executive director of the Toronto International Leadership Centre for Financial Sector Supervision.

Results 1 to 10 of 18