The 19th Alberta Dragoons had its beginning on December 1, 1905, when three independent squadrons of the Canadian Mounted Rifles were organized. These included "A" squadron at Edmonton, "B" at Strathcona, and "C" at Fort Saskatchewan. It thus became one of the early militia groups in the province. A fourth squadron was established at St. Albert in 1907 and in the following year the government designated it as "a four squadron regiment" named the "19th Alberta Mounted Rifles". The four squadrons then received the well known title of 19th Alberta Dragoons on January 3, 1911. The 19th Alberta Dragoons and the Alberta Mounted Rifles were amalgamated on February 16, 1936 as the 19th Alberta Dragoons. On April 1, 1946, the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 101st Regiment Edmonton Fusiliers were amalgamated and redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers)". It was further redesignated "19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment" on February 4, 1949, "19th Alberta Dragoons (19th Armoured Car Regiment)" on November 1, 1954, and back to "19th Alberta Dragoons" on May 19, 1958. During the First World War, (1914-1919) the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in France and Flanders. During the Second World War (1939-1945), the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in the Reserve Army.