Showing 20 results

Authority record
Red Deer and District Archives

Buckham, A. F.

  • RED
  • Person

A. F. Buckham, ?-?, was raised and educated in Alberta. He spent some time in the Little Fish Lake area near Dorothy, Alberta, (ca. 1921-1924), and was in Edmonton, Alberta for his secondary schooling (ca.1928 -1931) before heading off to the University of Alberta to take a Bachelor of Engineering degree specializing in mining engineering and geology (1931-1935). He later retired in Victoria, British Columbia, and is buried in the same city. Unfortunately, little more is known about him. It is possible that his father was Alexander Kirkwood Buckham, ca. 1895-1955, of Strathcona and Edmonton, Alberta

CHCA Television

  • RED 16
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-2009

CHCA-TV started broadcasting on December 11, 1957 and continued broadcasting until August 31, 2009. The CA stood for Central Alberta. The station was founded by Fred Bartley, and primarily served as a CBC and Canwest CH rebroadcast station.

In September 1965, the call letters were changed to CKRD-TV. From 1969 to 1976, CKRD-TV was owned by Henry Flock and Gordon Spackmen who owned two radio stations with the same call sign. In 1976, Monarch Broadcasting purchased the station, and in 1989 Monarch was purchased by Allarcom. Allarcom merged with WIC in 1991 and was then purchased by Canwest in 2000.

On September 5, 2005 the station ended its affiliation with the CBC and joined the CH television system, changing its call letters back to CHCA. The station was relaunched on September 7, 2007 as E! Red Deer as part of Canwest's rebranding.

During its broadcasting period, popular programs included the local newscasts at 5pm, 5:30pm and 11pm Monday to Friday, Hockey Night in Canada, and Toon Crew. Sportscaster Ron MacLean began his career at this station.

The station went dark on August 31, 2009.

Central Alberta Regional Museum Network

  • RED 23
  • Corporate body
  • 1994-Ongoing

Founded in 1994, the Central Alberta Regional Museum Network (CARMN) is a collective of approximately forty community-based museums. These museums work together to conduct and facilitate research and to create publications and educational programs dealing with the heritage of Central Alberta.

The goal of CARMN is to "share knowledge and resources to strengthen all member museums so that they can better serve their communities."

CARMN’s membership spreads across central Alberta, an area bounded roughly from Nordegg to Donalda, Devon to Calgary, and Rosebud to Banff.

City of Red Deer Culture Services section

  • RED-11
  • Corporate body
  • 1988-

The functions of the Culture Services section started as programming under the Recreation section when it was established in 1951. In 1985, the Community Services directorate was created taking responsibility for the Recreation, Parks, and Family and Community Support Services departments. The responsibility for cultural programming continued to be fulfilled by a programmer in the Recreation department.

In 1988, the name of the Recreation department was changed to the Recreation and Culture department. The Cultural and Creative Programs Director position was reclassified and retitled to the Cultural Programs Superintendent and then the Cultural Development Superintendent.

With the reorganization of Community Services into a division in 1995, the department was again revised to become the Recreation, Parks, and Culture department. The department oversees the Culture Services section and its various business units, including Heritage.

In 2006, Culture Services reorganized into two units: Culture Development, and Heritage and Archives. In 2009, the Archives transferred out of Culture Services section to the Corporate Services division.

City of Red Deer Emergency Services department

  • RED-9
  • Corporate body
  • 1904 -

The Emergency Services department was started as a Fire Brigade on September 22, 1904 by the Town of Red Deer. The Brigade was essentially a volunteer organization, with members paid based on the number of alarms they answered and practices they attended. They reported directly to Town Council and the Mayor until 1907 when they started reporting to the Mayor and Commissioner's office.

The Fire Department slowly shifted from volunteers to paid staff starting after the First World War and finally completing the transition in July 1969.

In 1962, the Fire Department began offering community ambulance services and paramedic services. To help manage the ambulance service, the City created an Ambulance Services Advisory Board in May 1985.

In January 1986, the title of Fire Chief was changed to Manger of the Fire and Ambulance Department. In 1994, the name of the Department was changed from the Fire Department to the Emergency Services department.

In 1996, the Emergency Services department moved under the Development Services division. In 2012, responsibililty for ambulance services transferred from the City to Alberta Health Services. The City became a contractor providing personnel and vehicles to Alberta Health Services.

In July 2017, the Department moved under the newly created Protective Services division.

City of Red Deer Projects section

  • RED-15
  • Corporate body
  • 2005 -

The Projects section was formed in 2005 to manage the Recreation Centre renovation project. It was then maintained as an administrative department overseeing projects and asset management for the Community Services division at the City of Red Deer. The Projects section reports to the Community Services division.

City of Red Deer Recreation section

  • RED-13
  • Corporate body
  • 1951 -

As a precursor to the Recreation section, the Red Deer Athletic Association was formed in 1945 as a volunteer society with the mandate to organize sports and recreational activities and facilities in Red Deer. In October 1951, the functions moved to the Red Deer Recreation Commission who was funded and supported by the City of Red Deer.

In 1970, the responsibility moved from the City Commissioner to the Director of Finance and Services (City Treasurer). During this period, the Waskasoo Urban Park Project was a primary focus.

In 1985, the Community Services directorate was created, taking responsibility for Recreation, Parks, and Family and Community Support Services departments. Within this structure, in 1985 the Recreation Board changed to the Recreation and Parks Board, although the departments stayed separate.

In 1988, the Recreation department became the Recreation and Culture department, which oversaw the Recreation section and the Culture section at the City of Red Deer. In 1995, the department was again revised to the Recreation, Parks, and Culture department. The department continued to oversee the Recreation section and its various business units and reported to the renamed Community Services division.

City of Red Deer Wastewater Treatment Plant section

  • RED-6
  • Corporate body
  • 1961 -

The Wastewater Treatment Plant was created at the City of Red Deer in 1961 due to a demand from the Provincial Department of Health to install a secondary sewage treatment facility in order to minimize impacts on oxygen levels of the Red Deer river. The facility had a significant expansion and overhaul beginning in 1978.

The Wastewater Treatment Plant was managed by Public Works from its founding, who in turn reported to the City Engineer and other areas. The funding for the system moved from Public Works to Utilities in 1963. In 1995, Engineering Services was renamed Development Services. In 2006, Wastewater Treatment moved to report under the Environmental Services department.

Regional wastewater commissions started in 2005 which have had some impact on the City of Red Deer Wastewater Treatment Plant.

City of Red Deer, Recreation, Parks, and Culture department

  • RED-14
  • Corporate body
  • 1995 -

The Recreation, Parks, and Culture department was formed in 1995 as an administrative department overseeing the Recreation, Culture, Parks, and Projects sections at the City of Red Deer. The Recreation, Parks, and Culture department reports to the Community Services division.

Dixon, Margaret

  • RED
  • Person

Margaret Dixon, 1905-1972, was born in the Horn Hill district near Red Deer, Alberta to Robert Dixon and Emily Harding Dixon, recent immigrants from Durham, England. She was educated in Penhold and at the University of Alberta; she was a teacher at the Raven and Markerville schools in central Alberta. In 1933, Margaret Dixon was left a quadriplegic after an accident. She learned to write, paint and knit by mouth. She died in Red Deer and is buried in the Horn Hill Cemetery.

Results 1 to 10 of 20