Showing 47 results

Authority record
Athabasca Archives

"Within Our Borders," an Alberta Government publication

  • Ath 91.41
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - 1970

"Within Our Borders" was a publcation of the Alberta Government designed to aquaint readers with government administration and services. It was believed that many and varied services of the government will be effective in the degree they are known. It was mailed to individuals, libraries and other subscribers and was published from 1948 - 1970 when the title was replaced by "Alberta, Land for Living."

A. F. A. Coyne and Company.

  • ath 85.75
  • Corporate body
  • 1919

A. F. A. Coyne & Company set up Petroleum Operators Canadian Offices in Athabasca and proposed to supply natural gas to the Town of Athabasca at the nominal price of one cent per thousand cubic feet. The Offer to Supply was dated October 25th, 1919. A deposit of $500.00 in the form of a cheque was given to the Town of Athabasca to be "forfeited to the town if A. F. A. Coyne and Company do not commence work in the town laying gas pipes and connections and drilling by the first day of August, or have not all homes, buildings supplied with Gas for their use in full supply by the first day of November 1920."

Athabasca Archives Audio Recording Collection

  • ATH AAAR
  • Corporate body
  • 1985 - present

Athabasca and area locals interviewed seniors for their reminiscences of homesteading, farming, logging, rural schools, and recreational activities.

Athabasca Archives map collection

  • ATH Map Collection
  • Corporate body

Athabasca Archives holds prints and copies of maps including Athabasca River, Town of Athabasca, Athabasca County, river lot plan, real estate, planning, sectional sheets W4M, hand-drawn, Hudson Bay Co. reserve, Alberta, Canada and North America maps. The collection also includes blue prints and aerial photos.

Athabasca Area Senior's Memory Project

  • ath18.13
  • Corporate body
  • 2015 -

In 2015, Athabascans Rosemary Neaves and Shirley Stashko, created and coordinated an on-going oral history project, interviewing and recording over 30 seniors' stories in the Athabasca town and county. The project files include metadata and CDroms with audio and images files for each interviewee.

Athabasca Clay Products Ltd.

  • ACP 64-68
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 - 1968

Athabasca Clay Products was a business that operated in Athabasca, Alberta from 1964 - 1968. All items were made from local red clay. Pottery was distributed from numerous gift shops in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, including one on Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.

Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce

  • ath
  • Corporate body

In October, 1908, the Athabasca Landing Board of Trade held its organizational meeting. The executive consisted of Leslie Wood, as president, and Isaie Gagnon, John Lessard, James Wood and Lance Smith. Four committees were formed to promote industrial and commercial enterprises, civic interests, transportation and publicity. Priorities included getting a railroad and publicizing the area nationally and internationally. In 1911 the Board of Trade sent the first exhibiton of local produce and literature to the Edmonton Exhibition. In 1915 the Board of Trade began admitting farmers to their membership. The Board was inactive in 1917, 1921-1926, and 1933-1936. In 1928 they petitioned the government for a bridge across the Athabasca River. They affiliated with the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in 1930. In January, 1955 the organization changed its name to Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce.

Athabasca Farmers Market

  • ATH AFM 2019
  • Corporate body
  • 1978 - present

A weekly and/or seasonal Athabasca and area Farmers Market was researched in January 1978 and this included a local survey of interest and attendance at an Alberta Agriculture Farmers’ Market seminar in Edmonton. The first Farmers Market was organized by volunteers just prior to Christmas, 1978 and was held in the basement of the Athabasca Community Centre. It may also have been held at the Athabasca Arena at various times during the day on Fridays. It was sponsored by the Athabasca Agricultural Society and one of the early managers was Theresa Keith. Early promotional efforts included cake decorating contests, door prizes and the mention of new visitors in a regular column published the Athabasca Advocate newspaper. Early members include Staffie Rypien, Grace Stychin, Mildred Haggith, Shirley Berezowski, Lilo Sanftl, Pennie Hunter, Otto Christensen, Lorraine Schultz, Joy Richards, Pat Williamson, Dorothy McCue, Maria Muller, Maureen Weymouth, Gwen Wolstenholme, Loreen Dagley, Liz Lamoureux, Mary Bart, Mary Schmidt, Mr. and Mrs. Stellmaker, and a BC fruit producer from Westlock. Annual membership was $10.00. Board positions were president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. All vendors set their own prices and a percentage of sales was given to the Market. Items for sale included fresh baking, farm fresh eggs, hand-made clothing, frozen foods, household items, seasonal bedding plants and crafts.
In 1984, the Farmers Market moved to a retail location on the main floor of Dr. Wright’s building at 4902 – 49 Street, Athabasca and was open six days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. The store was staffed by volunteers. The store location closed on December 19, 2001 due to a number of factors including volunteer burn out and changes in health regulations which made it more difficult to operate in the same way; specifically, food items that were baked in home kitchens and not on site. The Farmers Market Board donated the remaining $4,000.00 in their bank account to the Athabasca Health Care Centre Ladies Auxiliary.
The Athabasca Farmers Market has always operated with the designation of “Alberta Approved Farmers Market.” This means that 80% of good sold are produced in Alberta. It was billed as the only full-time, year-round farmers’ market in Alberta during the years it was located in Dr. Wright’s building.
There was no Farmers Market in Athabasca between the years 2001 and 2004. It was then brought back under the sponsorship of the Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce and again held weekly/seasonally in the basement of the Community Centre. Due to scheduling difficulties at the Community Centre, the Farmers Market was moved to the basement of the Royal Canadian Legion #103 in 2006.
In 2011, a new organization, the North Country Community Council, sponsored the Farmers Market and it is now held every second Saturday from October to May at the Athabasca Regional Multiplex. During the spring and summer months, it is held weekly on the Athabasca riverfront. The Town of Athabasca donated a one-time start up grant of $2,500 in 2012. During the months of January through November, the market has between 25 – 30 tables and peaks with as many as 65 tables in the month before Christmas. The Farmers Market executive has made donations to the Good Samaritan Food Bank and the Athabasca Santas Anonymous annual campaign.

Athabasca Historical Society

  • ath
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-1997

Though initial efforts were made to begin an historical society in Athabasca in 1955, it took until 1983 for the society to be formed. On March 10, 1983, in a meeting at Athabasca Town Hall, sixteen individuals voted unanimously for the creation of the Athabasca Historical Society and Bob Tannas was named its first president. The group, with an intention to preserve the town of Athabasca's history and heritage, published a book: "Athabasca Landing: An Illustrated History" in 1986, and funded a feasibility study for the creation of the Athabasca Interpretative Centre. The Athabasca Interpretive Centre was never built and the Athabasca Historical Society became inactive by the early 1990s. The society was dissolved in 1997.

Athabasca Landing Pool

  • ATHA Landing Pool
  • Corporate body
  • 1980 - 2019

Athabasca Landing Pool was opened on April 1, 1980. the founding broad members were Neil Selinger, Philip Brown, Les Wood, Jack Dixon, and John Shannon.

Results 1 to 10 of 47