- Corporate body
- 1909 - 1948
The United Farmers of Alberta (U.F.A.) was formed in 1909 from the amalgamation of the Canadian Society of Equity and the Alberta Farmers Association. It was incorporated by an act of the Province of Alberta in 1918. U.F.A. was a self-help and advocacy organization which encouraged economic power for farmers through the development of co-operatives. It also functioned as a political party from 1919 to 1939, and was the governing party in Alberta from 1921 to 1935. Past presidents include James Bower (1909-1911), W.J. Tregillus (1912-1914), James Speakman (1915), Henry Wise Wood (1916-1930), Robert Gardiner (1930-1945), and George E. Church (1945-1949). In 1914 a Women's Section was formed, and in 1916 was reorganized as the United Farm Women of Alberta (U.F.W.A.). In 1919 a Junior Branch of the U.F.A. was organized to support the activities of young members of farm families. The U.F.A. Provincial Political Association was formed as a vehicle for organizing political campaigns, and existed from 1919 to 1939. The U.F.A. Limited, incorporated from 1928 to 1949, published the organization's newspaper. The Co-operative Committee of the U.F.A was formed in 1930, and it was incorporated as the U.F.A. Central Co-operative Association Ltd. in 1932, to serve local consumer co-ops as a wholesaler and distributor. At its 40th annual convention in December 1948 the U.F.A. changed its name to United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative Ltd. (known as U.F.A. Co-op and later branded as UFA), and amended its Bylaws to allow it to take over most of the functions of the U.F.A. Central Co-operative Association Ltd. In January 1949 the U.F.A. advocacy function amalgamated with the Alberta Farmers' Union to form the Farmers' Union of Alberta.