Affichage de 23657 résultats

Personne/organisme

Geological Survey of Canada

The Geological Survey of Canada (GSC) is part of the Earth Sciences Sector, of Natural Resources Canada. The (GSC) is Canada's top agency for geoscientific information and research, with expertise focusing on geoscience surveys, sustainable development of Canada's resources, environmental protection, and technology innovation.

Stewart, Fred

  • paa
  • Personne

Frederick Alan Stewart was born July 8, 1934 in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, to John and Frances Stewart. Fred Stewart was educated at the University of Saskatchewan, and the University of Toronto. He married Virginia Ruth on June 18, 1960 and together they had two sons, Douglas and Gordon. Fred Stewart was a lawyer by profession and served as the President of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Association. He was also involved with the Ranchmen's Club in Calgary, Alberta. Stewart was first elected to the Alberta Legislature in 1986. Three years later he was appointed the Minister of Technology, Research and Telecommunications, and Deputy House Leader on April 14, 1989.

Sauder, P.M.

P.M. Sauder was chief hydrometric engineer for Alberta and Saskatchewan (1906-1920), manager of the Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District (1923-1940), Alberta's director of water resources,1940-1944, manager of western irrigation district, 1944-1950.

Stewart, Phyllis

  • SPRA-0059
  • Personne
  • Unknown

Phyllis Evelyn Mattoon was born in Consort, Alberta to Fred L. and Mabel Mattoon. Mrs. Mattoon was the first woman editor of a newspaper (the Consort Enterprise) in Alberta in 1913. Her daughter Phyllis completed teacher training during the war and came to the Bezanson area in May 1946 to teach at the Bezanson School. The Stewart family had arrived in the Bezanson area in 1912, coming in over the Edson Trail. George Alexander Stewart and his wife Sophia came from Sombre, Ontario with daughters May and Florence and sons Earl and Roy, and were later joined by son Charles H. and his wife Charlotte Thomas, also from Ontario. In 1923, the senior Stewarts moved to Detroit, Michigan along with Earl and Roy, leaving Charles H. on the farm in Bezanson. There were four children born to Lottie and Charles: Clara, George (Bud), Doris and Charles Bevan. In 1947 Phyllis married Charles Bevan Stewart. The young couple lived on his father's farm until they built their own residence on S.E. 35-71-3-W6 in 1949. They had four children: Cherry Lynn, Marvin Lee, Shannon Kelly, Creston Zane. Phyllis spent many years teaching in the East Smoky, High Prairie and County of Grande Prairie School Divisions, then completed a Bachelor of Education in 1976. The family also raised Montodale Sheep, which for a time was the only flock of this breed in Alberta. They traveled with their sheep to many fairs and exhibitions. Phyllis remained in the Bezanson area, in the family farm home, for well over 50 years. She was active in the community and in the Conservative party, and in 1983 she became a Councillor for the County of Grande Prairie, a position she held until 1992.

Boorne and May

The photographic firm of Boorne and May, a portrait, landscape and architectural business, operated in Calgary and Edmonton, N.W.T. (now Alberta) between 1886 and 1893. William Hanson Boorne, 1859-1945, and his cousin, Ernest Gundry May, opened their Calgary studio in 1886, later expanding the business to Edmonton. During its short life, Boorne and May was one of the most prestigious photographic firms in western Canada.

Troberg, Ralph

Ralph Troberg grew up in Dawson City, Yukon to a gold mining family. Ralph owns and operates a furnace repair business in Dawson City.

Denney, Charles

Charles Denney was a teacher in Edson from 1926-1930. He was an active member of the community. While he lived in Edson, he collected information about the town and local residents.

Gushul (family)

  • glen-1096
  • Famille
  • 1889-1981

Thomas Gushul, 1889-1962, was born in Rozniw, western Ukraine, and emigrated to Canada in 1906. Between 1907 and 1909 he worked for both the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) and the Canadian Northern Railway (CNR) in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. From 1909 to 1914 he worked in various coal mines in Blairmore, Alberta before he was laid off. During the winters of 1909-1910 he taught the Ukrainian language to children in Schevchenko (Vita), Manitoba. In 1914 he married Lena Sawiek, ?-1981, and they had four children, Nadia Rose, Evan, 1916-2014, Poraska "Pearl" (Baker), 1897-1988, and Pollyanna (Snowdon), 1923-2012. That same year he took up photography and in 1917 went to Winnipeg to study. Lena, a portrait and commercial photographer, worked closely with her husband. They opened their first studio in Bush Town, Alberta in 1918, and a second studio in Blairmore in 1921. They closed the first studio in 1928. Thomas Gushul received many awards for his photography and, in particular, for the developments he made in mine photography. He was also well known for his portrait work. He later set up a photo-engraving plant which his son, Evan, operated for many years. Evan was also a photographer for the Department of Agriculture. Thomas was also interested in sports, music and the Ukrainian community. Lena continued to run the studio after his death. For further information see Brock Silversides' article "A family of Photographers : The Gushul Legacy" in A World Apart : The Crowsnest Communities of Alberta and British Columbia / Wayne Norton and Tom Langford, eds. -- Kamloops: Plateau Press, 2002, p. 14-31.

City of Calgary, OCO'88

In 1983, the Marketing Group was created as one of the eight functioning Groups of OCO'88. The Marketing Group's primary function was to assist in the financing of the XV Olympic Winter Games, to stimulate public interest in the Games, and to promote the Olympic movement, Canada, and Canadian products. The Marketing Division was also responsible for obtaining corporate sponsorship for the Games. By the end of 1985, the Marketing Group had appointed a number of official sponsors, suppliers and licencees. In total, its programmes generated approximately $454 million in revenue for OCO'88. The overall marketing plan of OCO'88 was focused in two major areas: in the sale of merchandise and souvenirs by the licencing Program, and the identification of corporate names and corporate images with the XV Olympic Winter Games in the Sponsor/Supplier Programs. For more information regarding the XV Olympic Winter Games, Marketing Group administrative history, please link to the City of Calgary Archives homepage and click on the "fonds level descriptions" link.

Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta

On 13 December 1925, the Cercle Jeanne d'Arc, supported by les Chevaliers de Colomb, organized a congress of 400 Franco Albertans at the Hotel Macdonald in Edmonton to discuss the formation of a provincial French association. An organization was formed at that first meeting charged with the maintenance of all facets of French culture in Alberta, including religious, moral, social, intellectual and economic life. However, the paramount concern of the newly formed organization was education and the survival of the French community's identity in Alberta. A provisional committee was charged with the creation of an organizational constitution and half a year later, on the 12th of July 1926, the document was completed. The new constitution, ratified at the organization's first general congress, signified the official creation of the Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta (ACFA). Initially, the ACFA was composed of parish associations governed from a central office in Edmonton. The parishes would send one delegate to the annual general congress for every twenty-five dollars in contributions to the central office. Although the annual congresses were open to all francophone Albertans, the location of the meetings in Edmonton made the substantive contribution of members from parishes outside the capital region prohibitive. In addition, the organization of the ACFA, based on parish affiliation, gave cities with several parishes a greater say concerning the policy and direction of the organization as a whole. Consequently, during the early years of the ACFA, the organization was controlled by the interests of urban elites in Edmonton and to a lesser extent, Calgary. In order to counteract this disparity, the constitution was amended in 1930 to allow remote centres to form committees composed of representatives from the parish associations. The first regional reorganization took place in Rivière-la-Paix, inspired by the need to redirect the funds that had previously been moving to Edmonton into the creation of an elder care home. Later, in 1961, the association decided to disassociate the regional associations from their parishes and instead organized them according to their location and the density of French population. These new regional associations would later incorporate individually, allowing semi-autonomy from the parent ACFA provincial organization. In 1928, after a disagreement with the journal <em>L'Union</em>, a French newspaper, the ACFA decided to create its own weekly journal called <em>La Survivance</em>. This new weekly journal would become the primary communication between the organization's representatives and the membership. As such, the journal served as an attempt by the ACFA to solidify Franco-Albertan identity and forge closer ties between disparate groups of francophones throughout the province. During the late 1920s and 1930s, the ACFA started to experience a crisis of declining membership. This was due to the general movement away from parish associations for entertainment and community creation did you mean recreation?. The general Franco-Albertan community started to seek inclusion in the larger English society of Alberta, causing the traditional French parish branches to lose their importance. Instead of gathering at the community church as an entertainment activity, French Albertans were, in increasing numbers, frequenting the more diverse cultural activities of the English community. Beyond the obvious problems this presented to the French community concerning cultural assimilation, the drift away from the parish as the foundation of French identity affected the ACFA's ability to secure membership and importantly, membership fees. The arrival of the depression of the 1930s compounded the situation, all but decimating the association. By the end of the Depression, the ACFA's membership had reorganized itself. The ordinary members, who had previously resisted the system that transferred control to urban elites in Edmonton and Calgary, had drifted away from the organization. In their stead, the elites remained, leaving the organization composed primarily of people from medical and legal backgrounds. In addition to discussions with government, the ACFA displayed its commitment to education by setting up organizations concerned with French language instruction in schools. In 1926, the ACFA founded the Association des éducateurs bilingues de l'Alberta (AEBA) and aided in the formation of the Association des commissaires bilingues (ACB). In addition, the ACFA established an inspection and visit system for French and bilingual schools and set up French libraries. However, in keeping with association's goal to aid in all aspects of Franco-Albertan life, the ACFA turned its attention to the economic and agricultural concerns of its membership. In response to these needs, the ACFA helped develop credit unions. The first was formed in Calgary and by 1963, there were sixteen French credit unions across the province. Later, in 1997, the ACFA would open La Chambre économique, providing a full range of economic services to the Franco-Albertan community. In the late 1930s and 1940s, the association decided to organize its annual congresses around specific themes. For example, in 1939, the theme was cooperatives and in 1941, the congress concentrated on problems surrounding colonization. However, the messages tended to be overshadowed by the political intrigue and anti-French fanaticism of the larger community. In 1949, in response to these realities, the ACFA decided to establish CHFA, a French radio station that could help to counteract anti-French and assimilationist influences. During the 1950s, the ACFA experienced a crisis of funding. The popularity of the organization had started to wane, causing donations to decline. In response, the ACFA decided to set up satellite organizations that not only helped Franco-Albertans, as it had done in the past, but also derived a benefit to the ACFA. The first such organization was L'Almanach Franco-Albertain, set up in 1959 in conjunction with L'Assurance-vie Desjardins and Le Service de sécurité familiale. Later, in 1965, a system of general insurances was introduced with the aid of the Securité du Canada Company. These institutions would contribute to a foundation for the ACFA, which would provide funding for programming. The 1960s was a decade of great gains for the Franco-Albertan community in terms of advocacy and education rights. In 1964, the ACFA was incorporated by a provincial act, solidifying the organization as an entity tied to its charter and able to exist independently of its board and membership. Importantly though, in 1968 the organization's lobbying produced legislation allowing fifty percent French instruction in public schools, then later in 1976, that time was extended to eighty percent. The Canadian Charter, signed in 1982, made French instruction a right to all Canadians, allowing all French schools to receive public funds. The ACFA's activities in regards to education after the Charter shifted from lobbying for concessions to protection of rights and facilitation of education through its bookstores Le Carrefour. The creation of the Secrétariat d'État in 1969, later to become the Ministry of Canadian Heritage, provided the organization with funding to broaden its mandate. Particularly, the ACFA took a more active role in providing cultural activities. The ACFA is currently active in lobbying on behalf of the Franco-Albertan community to ensure the rights of the community in relation to the Charter and the Official Languages Act of Canada.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 23657