Affichage de 23602 résultats

Personne/organisme

Billy Loutit Dispatch: Winter Duathlon and Summer Triathlon

  • ath
  • Collectivité
  • 2003-2010

The first Billy Loutit Winter Despatch Duathlon was held in Athabasca, AB on February 11, 2003 and the first Summer Dispatch Triathlon was held on July 26, 2003. The events honoured Métis mail runner Billy Loutit who, because of an historic flood caused by a river-ice jam, ran from Athabasca Landing to Fort Edmonton in April, 1904. He carried a message (despatch) requesting assistance from the Edmonton Hudson's Bay Co. because thousands of dollars of HBC provisions had been damaged in the flood. Billy ran the 100-mile distance in twenty-three hours. In February, duathlon participants skied and snowshoed through 45 km of Alberta’s boreal forest on a trail that included the Athabasca River, the Muskeg Creek Trail System, and historic Athabasca Landing. They carried their own packs which held 5 kg of food donations that were dropped at 5 locations along the route and then given to the Athabasca food bank. For the July triathlon, participants swam in the Athabasca Landing Pool, then biked from Athabasca to Colinton and back on Hwy 827, and finally ran a route through the Town of Athabasca and the Muskeg Creek Trail System. Summer participants could do the triathlon by themselves or be part of a team. The events were organized by Bub Ottosen and Lori-Ann Claerhout (soon joined by Heather Babiak and Al Fisher) after a chance meeting between “Young” Billy Loutit and his brother Paul, who were Billy Loutit’s grandsons, at the Athabasca Winterfest in 19XX. Loutit family members, including Shannon Loutit, were at each duathlon and triathlon. Local residents volunteered in various capacities to organize and host the events, and local businesses and organizations made donations. The names of these people and groups are recorded in the documents. The Billy Loutit winter and summer events organized by Ottoson and Claerhout ran from 2003 until 2010; the duathlon in 2003, 2004, and 2005. Lori Claerhout was also involved the Billy Loutit 100 Mile Journey marathon on July 18, 2008. Loutit family members, including Shannon Loutit, were at each duathlon and triathlon.

Zion United Church (Beiseker)

  • PR3580
  • Collectivité
  • 1916-1995

Zion United Church had its origins in two different congregations in the Beiseker area of Alberta, the Zion Congregational Church and the Beiseker United Church.

Beiseker United Church began ca. 1915, with the congregation being served by United Church ministers from the Acme Pastoral Charge. Early services were held at Beiseker in a building converted from a livery barn to a community hall ca. 1922. In 1925, services moved to a former school which had become a private dwelling before being renovated for use as a church. From 1927-1938 only bible study was held. Beiseker United Church amalgamated with Zion United Church in 1949 and the church building was sold and converted into a doctor’s office.

Zion Congregational Church was founded in the Beiseker area of Alberta in 1909. The congregation was officially organized as a Congregational Church on Jan. 4, 1914. Construction of the church was started in 1918 on two acres of land donated by Peter M. Berreth on SE ¼ 16-28-25-W4. The church building was dedicated on July 14, 1918. The building was enlarged and renovated in 1928.

The Zion Congregational Church amalgamated with the United Church of Canada in 1947, becoming part of the Carbon Pastoral Charge. In 1949, the church was moved from its original site into the town of Beiseker and the congregation amalgamated with Beiseker United Church taking the name Zion United Church. The original church site continued to be used as a cemetery. On July 1, 1950, Zion United Church became part of the Acme Pastoral Charge. Zion United Church amalgamated with Acme United Church in 1998.

Athabasca School Division No 42

  • ASD No 42, 20.06
  • Collectivité
  • 1938 - 1959

The Athabasca School Division No. 42 was established by an Order in Council October 22, 1938. It contained five subdivisions and organizational meetings were held in each subdivision in November in the following centres: Subdivision 1 Meanook, Subdivision 2 Athabasca, Subdivision 3 Boyle, Subdivision 4 Plamondon, and Subdivision 5 Craigend. Eric A. Gilders was appointed temporary secretary. ASD No. 42 operated until 1959 when the County of Athabasca No. 12 was formed by combining the Municipal District of Athabasca No. 103 and the Athabasca School Division No. 42. At this time, there were no longer one-room schools in operation, only centralized schools. The first organizational meeting of the board was held on December 21, 1938. The old school districts were officially absorbed as of January 3, 1939 when an Act of Parliament turned over all liabilities and assets of the districts to the School Division.

The original school division contained the following 86 school districts: Keyes 1882, Tawatinaw 2473, Lahaiville 2637, Parkhurst 2645, Plamondon 2696, Dover 2725, South Athabasca 2768, Plum Lake 2815, Toles 2895, Atlanta 2909, Fairhaven 3044, Cash Creek 3045, Lewiston 3093, Meanook 3105, Flat Creek 3106, West Athabasca 3110, Fork Lake 3155, Rodgers Chapter 3159, Colinton 3169, Forest 3171, Dokeville 3173, McArthur 3266, Silver Fox 3273, Willow Ridge 3292, Bouvier 3308, East Park 3349, Ste. Cecile 3377, Irene 3405, Youngville 3621, Baptiste Lake 3651, Grosmont 3639, George Lake 3820, Lee Heights 3821, Greyville 3836, Mangin 3935, Berney 3937, Quebec 3989, Sarrail 4001, Grandin 4066, Big Beaver 4067, Craigend 4088, Granville 4091, Trieste (Hylo) 4101, Venice 4102, Forfar 4105, Forest Grove 4209, Charron 4224, Vincent 4255, Richmond Park 4280, Rich Lake 4329, Monticello 4374, Perryvale 4390, Hammond 4398, New Pine Creek 4473, Big Coulee 4497, Hallcroft 4508, Larvert 4521, Owl River 4526, Rocky Island 4536, Winding Trail 4549, Narrow Lake 4546, Blueberry Ridge 4562, Black Loam 4565, Green Pine 4568, Ferguson 4573, Deer Run 4597, Gamefield 4597, Spruce Park 4618, Cristy Lake 4621, Helina 4629, Spruce Valley 4652.

Several other districts, formed after 19439 were subsequently added to the division. They were: Blue Jay 4658, Willow Flat 4668, Noral 4692, Laura 4722, Gourin 4755, White Clover 4777, Caslan 4780, South Noral 4781, Birch Grover 4808, Dionne 4813, Nelson 4814, Big Bay 4817, Caribou Range 4836, Mercury 4849, Sun Ray 4868, Cumley 4891, Lawrence Lake 4909, Cloverview 4919, Deep Coulee 4959, Ellscott 4960, Locher 4975, Old Trail 4853 and *Twin Spruce 4864.

In 1944 Lac La Biche School Division No. 51 was formed resulting in the transfer of 36 districts (*) in the list.

Chomiak, Mykhailo

  • Personne
  • 1905-1984

Mykhailo (Michael) Chomiak was born in 1905 in the village of Stroniatyn in the province of Galicia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, part of western Ukraine that would be annexed by Poland in the inter-war period. He graduated from Lviv University in 1931 with a Master's degree in law and political science. An avid journalist throughout his life, Chomiak first became associated with the Ukrainian daily newspaper, Dilo, in 1928 and from 1934 to 1939 served on its editorial staff. During the Nazi occupation of Poland in the Second World War, he was the editor of Krakivs’ki visti, published first in Krakow (1940-1944) and then in Vienna (1944-1945).

After the Soviet occupation, Chomiak fled to the German-occupied portion of former Poland, which had been reconstituted as the General Government, and settled in Krakow where he eventually found work with the Ukrainian newspaper Krakivs’ki visti.

Krakow became a centre of non-Soviet Ukrainian culture and a delegation led by geographer Volodymyr Kubiiovych approached Nazi governor general Hans Frank for permission to create a Ukrainian publishing house. Permission was granted and the Ukrainian Publishing House was formed as a limited company headed by Kubiiovych and financially supported by donations from the Ukrainian community.

The first director of the Ukrainian Publishing House was Ievhen Iulii Pelens’kyi, who received permission from the German press chief in Krakow, Emil Gassner, to appropriate the Jewish printing press of Nowy Dziennik, which had been shut down by the Nazis. After supplies and equipment were obtained, the first issue of Krakivs’ki visti was published under the editorship of Borys Levyts’kyi on 7 January 1940.

Levyts’ski was soon forced from the editor position by the Nazis and Chomiak took over early in 1940 and would remain in this position for the length of the paper’s run. Krakivs’ki visti would be published out of Krakow, under heavy Nazi censorship, until the approach of Soviet forces in October, 1944. The paper then transferred its operations to Vienna and continued to publish until March, 1945.

After the cessation of conflict, Chomiak was placed in Blonhofen Displaced Persons Camp until emigrating to Canada with his wife Alexandra, and daughters Oksana, Marusia, Halyna, and Christina in October, 1948. Two more children, Natalia and Bohdon, were born in Edmonton, AB.

After a brief period as a manual labourer, Chomiak found employment with Sherritt Gordon Mines in Fort Saskatchewan, remaining with the company until retirement. His primary interest, however, remained the Ukrainian community locally and internationally, and he played an active role in its affairs both formally and informally.

Chomiak was a member of several organizations and held numerous executive positions. From its inception in the 1950s, he was involved with the Ivan Franko School of Ukrainian Studies in Edmonton as a parent and as a teacher. He continued his journalistic work and research in Canada, editing several monographs, publishing scholarly articles, and writing for the Ukrainian press. After official retirement, Chomiak worked for a term (1978-1979) on the Ukrainian Encyclopedia project in Sarcelles, France, and in 1981 accepted the editorship of the Ukrainian Catholic weekly, Ukrainski visti, in Edmonton.

Mykhailo Chomiak died in Edmonton in April, 1984.

Adams, Randall

  • Personne
  • 1951-2015

Randall (Randy) Adams was born on 27 September 1951 in Edmonton, AB. Adams was a photographer whose work has been exhibited at galleries such as the Edmonton Art Gallery, the Glenbow Museum, and the South Okanagan Art Gallery in Penticton, BC. His work is also part of the permanent collections of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts and the Art Gallery of Alberta.

Randall Adams died on 25 April 2015 in Nanaimo, BC.

Sexsmith Pastoral Charge

  • PR3591
  • Collectivité
  • 1949-1990

The Sexsmith Pastoral Charge was a multi-point pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada that included Sexsmith, Teepee Creek, Clairmont, and Trinity United Churches. Clairmont formed a separate pastoral charge in Hythe in 1990. The Sexsmith Pastoral Charge was dissolved sometime after 1990. Further information is not available.

McKenna, Peter

  • Personne

Peter McKenna was the owner of Cadomin Motors and manager of the Mt. Cheviot Hotel for the Cadomin Coal Company in the Coal Branch town of Cadomin, Alberta during the 1930s. He also managed bulk oil sales to all of the Coal Branch towns for Imperial Oil and was the team manager of the Cadomin Miners baseball team, who won the Northern Alberta Championship in 1932.

Haley, Frank

  • Personne
  • 1925-

Frank Haley was born in 1925 in Cheadle, Alberta. During the Second World War, Haley served as a sergeant in the South-East Asia Translation and Interrogation Centre and was assigned to that centre’s station in Singapore in 1946 to help facilitate the surrender and return of Japanese forces.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 23602