Affichage de 20978 résultats


Fratkin, Abraham I.

Abraham I. Fratkin was born in 1889 in Russia. In 1903 he moved to China and joined an orchestra as a flautist. He stayed there for four years and then returned to Russia where he joined an orchestra in Kiev. In 1912 he immigrated to Canada to avoid military service and settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba, bringing the rest of his family over after. Fratkin became the musical director of the Allan theatres, and opened a theatre in Edmonton, Alberta in 1918. He became involved in the Jewish community in Edmonton as a member of the Hebrew Free Loan Society and other organizations, and he also formed his own orchestra at the Capitol Theatre called the Capitoliens. He opened a music store in 1928 called Art Music Limited, but the store closed during the depression. In 1943 he became the first conductor of the newly established Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. He began teaching music in Edmonton and ca. 1951 moved to Vancouver, British Columbia where he opened a business.

Goldberg, Abraham

Abraham Goldberg was the last of four children born to Hendel (Pytel) and Aharon Goldberg in 1922 in Lodz, Poland. Abraham's grandfather, Abraham Pytel was a successful businessman. Aharon was an ardent Zionist who moved with his family from Poland to Israel in 1925, when Abraham was two years old. Aharon was murdered in 1929 and Abraham's mother Hendel moved back to Lodz with Abraham; a year later his older brother David also returned to Lodz. Abraham's sisters Bella and Yona remained in Israel. The Jews of Lodz were herded into the infamous Lodz ghetto in January 1940. Abraham fled on February 29th, 1940. Hendel perished in the Nazi concentration camp Majdanek in 1942, after ending up in the Warsaw ghetto in 1941. Abraham survived by fleeing into Russia where he was imprisoned by the Soviet government. His brother David spent the war in France. Abraham was eventually released from the gulag and worked in the Soviet Union until the end of the war. Abraham met his wife Hannah (Burstein) while working in Stalinabad. At the end of the war Abraham and Hannah ended up in a displaced persons camp in Germany. They went south to a refugee collection point in Sete, on the Mediterranean coast of France, with their 18 month-old son. On July 9, 1947 the ship "President Warfield" sailed into Sete, flying a Honduran flag. Abraham, Hannah and their son boarded with false Costa Rican passports. The Jewish underground organized the trip, reusing the 2000 passports for the 4, 500 passengers. Shadowed by the H.M.S. Mermaid naval sloop, a British Lancaster bomber overhead, a pair of British minesweepers, the H.M.S. Ajax, three more destroyers, and a frigate, the "Warfield" changed its name to "Exodus 1947." British sailors and marines boarded the ship and captured it after a two-hour battle. The refugees, including Hannah, Abraham and their son Aharon were marched onto a pier at Haifa and then transferred to British prison ships, to be returned to Germany. Abraham and Hanna's second son, Hillel, was born August 29, 1947 on a ship in the Atlantic returning to Hamburg. Abraham and Hanna and their sons made it to Israel as legitimate Jewish refugees on August 14, 1948. In Israel, Abraham worked with the Ford Motor Company, Shell Oil and served as secretary of the then Liberal party's Haifa branch. After 18 years in Israel, they emigrated to Canada in 1966 to help out relatives in Winnipeg. They moved to Edmonton in 1970. Abraham and his partners, the Baums and the Millers acquired the Royal Hotel in Edmonton. Abraham was involved in both the Canadian Zionist Federation and the Canada Israel Committee. He was an ongoing contributor to the Edmonton Journal's "letters to the editor" to set the record straight about Israel and Jewish affairs in the media. Abraham is involved extensively in the Jewish community and the general community. He is a member of the Beth Israel synagogue, served on the board of the Jewish Federation, as well as being a member of the CZF, CIC and a male life associate member of Canadian Hadassah-WIZO. He is an active member of the Holocaust Education Committee, traveling throughout Alberta lecturing and teaching. Abraham was the Honouree of the Negev Dinner in 2000. Abraham and Hannah Goldberg have three sons: Aharon, Ilan and Hillel.

Okpik, Abraham

Abraham Okpik, 1929-1997, was born near Kipnik in the Mackenzie Delta of the Northwest Territories. As a youth he suffered from tuberculosis and a leg injury, but became a respected hunter and trapper. He became a translator, administrator, and Inuit leader. In 1965 he was the first Inuk to sit on the Territorial Council. In 1968-1970 he headed Operation Surname, a project that allowed the Inuit to be known by their names, rather than by numbers. He eventually made his home in Iqaluit, now in Nunavut. He was made a member of the Order of Canada. He was married to Martha Ningeok, and had several children including Roy Inglangasuk. During 1969-1971 he was commissioned by the Riveredge Foundation to visit Arctic communities and record songs, stories and legends of the elders.

Bury, Absalom Clark

A. Clark Bury, ca. 1884-1960, was born in Lancashire, England, and in 1903 came to Winnipeg where he joined the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP). He was transferred to Calgary in that year and took part in the manhunt for convicted murderer Ernest Cashel. In 1904-1906 he was stationed at Olds, the Peace River area and Fort Macleod, Alberta and Fort St. John, British Columbia. He was discharged from the force in 1908 and resumed law studies which he had begun in England. In 1911 he was police magistrate in Coronation, Alberta. He was admitted to the Bar in 1915 and began practicing in Olds the following year. At some point during First World War he was adjutant at an internment camp in Jasper. He and his wife, Gertrude, 1876-1958, were married ca. 1914. She was admitted to the Bar in 1921 and practiced with Clark in Olds, Calgary and Red Deer. They had two sons, William Haworth and Douglas C. Clark ran unsuccessfully as a Liberal federal candidate for Red Deer in 1940. He and Gertrude lived in Olds until 1950 when they moved to Red Deer.

Kemmis, Ada L. Kemmis, Arthur C.

Ada Louise Hinton, 1882-1975, was born in England and came to Pincher Creek, Alberta with her parents in 1887. In 1902 she married Arthur Charles Kemmis, Pincher Creek's first lawyer. Arthur, ?-1940, came to Canada from Ireland ca. 1896, and worked in the R.B. Bennett law firm in Calgary. He fought in First World War, rising to the rank of colonel. Ada and Charles had two daughters, Helen Aileen (Rhodes), 1903-?, and Sybil (Reeves). Ada built Kilmorey Lodge in Waterton in 1926 and ran it as a summer lodge. In 1932 she moved permanently to Waterton, and in 1938 she built a second lodge. She retired in 1947 and moved to Lethbridge in 1971.

Donaldson, Adam G.

Adam "Addie" G. Donaldson was born in March 1909 in Lethbridge, Alberta; he was the son of C.S. (Christopher Storrar) and Katherine (Wilson) Donaldson. Chris had come to Alberta from Scotland in 1907, first to Edmonton then to Lethbridge. He was joined by Katherine Wilson in 1908 and they were married in Lethbridge. Chris worked in the mining industry for most of his life. Adam attended the University of Alberta, studying mining geology. He joined his father in mining in 1936. Adam succeeded his father as manager of the Cadillac mine near Shaughnessy, Alberta; his father was manager from 1927 to 1943, and Adam was manager from 1943 until 1947. In 1950, Adam was the superintendent of Lethbridge Collieries Limited's No. 8 mine. From about 1957 to 1964, Adam was president of Phillips Oil Company Limited and then Canalta Petroleum Limited, both in Calgary, Alberta. He returned to Lethbridge in 1964 and resumed work as a mining engineer.

Day, Addison

Addison P. Day was born in Austin, Texas in 1873. His father C.P. Day was a brother to Tony Day of "Turkey Track" fame. They ran cattle together in south Texas. Addison attended the University of Texas and played two years of football for the Orange and White. In 1897, Addison married Ada Tilton Lee of Belton, Texas. They had three children: a girl, Galena, and 2 boys, Addison P. Jr. and Horace C. He continued to run his father's ranch until 1903 when Ad moved his family and came to Medicine Hat with his brothers - Tony, Ford and Willie. Addison and Tony Day built adjoining houses on Esplanade (now First Street) facing the river and each of them purchased ranchland south of the city near the Montana border. They ran cattle for several years and later raised horses to sell to farmers, using Clydesdale and Percheron stallions. The first Calgary Stampede in 1912 was directed and produced by Addison P. Day. Until 1919 he organized various rodeo events from Winnipeg to Montana. Ad sold his ranch during this time and invested heavily in Medicine Hat property including two theatres and a pottery. He also started a newpaper named "The Call" in 1912 and published it until around 1915. The office was on Esplandade across from Riverside Park. After the war, Addison left Medicine Hat losing most of his investments. He moved to Los Angeles and managed a big cattle feeding operation for several years. In 1927 he helped promote the first big rodeo at the Colosseum in downtown Los Angeles. Addison could ride a cutting horse as good as ever up until he was 75. A heart attack shortly after his birthday forced him to retire. He settled in Arizona. Addison P. Day was nominated to the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in 1978. Horace, his son was living in Washington, D.C. for some time.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 20978