Showing 282 results

Authority record
Family

Mills (family)

  • ATH
  • Family

Mr. and Mrs. Oran Mills moved to Athabasca in 1913, where Oran Mills served as the first station agent for the Canadian Northern Railway. While living in Athabasca, their fourth son, Donald, and their only daughter, Eva, were born. Two other sons were named Lawrence and Wellington.

In 1914, Oran Mills was manager of the Northern Transportation Company, Limited at Athabasca Landing. In about 1915 the family moved to a farm near Westlock where they lived until about 1937. Mr. Mills died in a road accident near Perryvale, AB in Sept., 1946. Eva married Bill Forsyth from Pibroch, AB in June, 1940. Later they moved to Mission, BC.

Krawec, Peter and Mildred fonds

  • Ath 19.24
  • Family
  • 1970s to 1990s

Peter Krawec was born in Richmond Park, Alberta, north of Athabasca, on July 11, 1936 to Paul and Eva Krawec. He married Mildred Koehler on June 15, 1963. Peter took over as owner-operator of Bob's Photo Shop on July 1, 1965, Bob Preece being forced to retire due to ill health (see Robert David Preece fonds). Peter ran the business for thirteen years and continued as a photographer from a home studio until the summer of 1990.

Baker, Margaret K. (Peggy)

  • Ath Baker
  • Family
  • Present

Margaret K. Baker (Peggy) is a resident of the Town of Athabasca, Alberta.

Egge (family)

  • EDM
  • Family

The Egge family moved from Fort Edmonton to Halfway Lake (near Clyde) on the Athabasca Trail in 1898. Between 1898 and 1906, Newton Egge built a stopping house in the area. Stopping houses were farm houses that took in guests and provided meals. This well known stopping house was moved to Fort Edmonton Park where it has been restored.

Speare Family

  • JAS-434
  • Family
  • 1905-1999

Vernon (d. 1989) and Ivy Nora Speare (1905-1999) were married in Lucerne, B.C. in 1922. They had one daughter, Jean and one son Joe. Joe married Florrie L. (1925-2002) and had two sons, Rick (Judy) and Robert (Sue), and one daughter Grace Daniels. Florrie was a member of the Eastern Star.

Anderson (family)

  • MED
  • Family
  • 1872-[ca.1980]

James Anderson of Stenness, Orkney, who was baptised in 1775, served with the Hudson's Bay Co. at Brandon House. He married a Salteaux woman, Mary (Maria), and they had 14 children. James Anderson and his family later settled on land along the Red River. James was buried in Portage LaPrairie in 1856; his wife Mary, in 1854. John, the eldest son of James and Mary Anderson, was born September 4, 1804. He also worked for the Hudson's Bay Co. John married Mary Desmarais and the couple had 13 children, two of whom died in infancy. John settled close to his parents on the Red River. He died in 1883 and his wife, in 1884. Charles Thomas, the 9th child of John and Mary Anderson, was baptised in 1840. In 1853, he and his entire family moved to Portage LaPrairie where he met and later married Maria Cook in 1859. One of their 13 children, James, settled in Medicine Hat. Charles passed away in 1909. James Thomas Anderson, the 9th child of Charles and Maria was born in Manitoba on March 13, 1874. James and his brother Cohn both suffered from tuberculosis and were advised to move to a drier climate, so both joined the Dominion of Canada Surveying Crew and travelled extensively in Western Canada. James later settled in Medicine Hat. He was involved in the cattle drive at the site which later became known as Drowning Ford, where numerous cattle were lost, and later was employed with one of Medicine Hat's earliest residents, James Sanderson. James Francis Sanderson (1848-1902), who was born in Eastern Canada, accompanied his family on buffalo hunting expeditions to Western Canada. He participated in the opposition to the Riel Rebellion and was taken prisoner by Riel's men. In 1872, he married Maria McKay, the daughter of Edward McKay, a leading Indian trader, who had settled in the Cypress Hills but continued to travel the western prairies and hunt buffalo. They had 4 children, Caroline, Owen, Duncan and Mary. In 1882, the Sandersons' and McKays' moved to Medicine Hat. Here James Francis worked on construction of the CPR, ran a bull herd and collected buffalo bones to be sent east to be made into fertilizer. He also was agent for the coal mine in 1899, held the ice contract for the CPR and was wolf inspector for the district. In addition, he also ran a profitable livery stable. He was considered an expert on Indian culture and wrote a series of articles in 1894, entitled "Indian Tales of the Canadian Prairies". He was among one of the most highly regarded and influential pioneers of the area. As part of his duties while working for James Sanderson, James Anderson was to protect and escort Mary Sanderson, their well-educated daughter. James and Mary married in St. Barnabas church in 1900, and homesteaded in the Golden Valley Farm area and at Finn's Lake. Their 7 children, Charles, Isabelle, Mary, Bertha, Howard, Owen and Dora, were all raised in that area. Both James and Mary were musical and music was very important to their family. They were one of the few families to own a piano, and their love of music was passed to their descendants. Mary passed away in 1952 and James, in 1961. Bertha Laura Sanderson, born October 8, 1907, married Daniel Harry Hogg (born 1903) in June, 1937. Their son, Nelson (April 1, 1939), compiled information about the family and donated it to the archives. Space does not permit further information to be included about these large families. There is much more biographical and general data about various family members in the manuscripts.

Hargrave (family)

  • MED
  • Family
  • [ca. 1880- 1985]

James Hargrave (1846-1935), an eminent western pioneer and founder of a prominent local ranching family, was born in Chateauguay, Quebec. His grandparents, Joseph Hargrave and Jane (nee Melrose) Hargrave, of Kelso, Roxburgshire county, and Selkirkshire county respectively, in southern Scotland, came to Canada in 1817, and settled on a farm in Beech Ridge with James' father, John, and his 7 siblings. James' mother, Jemima (nee Moffat) (1818-1869), was also of Scottish descent, having come from Dumfreeshire. James worked as a factor for the Hudson Bay Company for 15 years. While at Portage La Prairie, he met Alexandra Sissons. Alexandra (1853-1932), born in St. Thomas, Ontario, had travelled west with her family by stage coach. They married February 17, 1875, and had a family of 9 children. After leaving the Hudson Bay Co. and farming in Portage LaPrairie for 2 years, James decided to move west. In 1883, he and his brother-in-law, Daniel Sissons, arrived in Medicine Hat and opened a general store at the corner of 2nd and South Railway Streets. He also purchased land on the north side of the river where he built a home. Mrs. Hargrave, with their 6 children, joined him in 1884. In 1906, a large cement block house was built on this property. It remained the family home until 1949, when it was sold to the Presbyterian Church. The Hargrave and Sissons store carried on business as general merchants and fur traders until 1896, when it was sold to J.K. Drinnan. Besides his interest in the general store, James took up ranching. His first ranch, on Little Plume Creek, was destroyed by fire, so he relocated to the Walsh area to a site suggested by Cree Indians, Little Corn and Peeper. It was considered to be very suitable because the buffalo wintered there. This area was called by them "Lake of Many Islands With Grass up to Horses Bellies". It came to be known as Many Islands Lake, and finally dried up in 1982. A very successful ranch was established at this site which the Hargrave family still owns and operates. James Hargrave was a member of the first Board of School Trustees and acted as Secretary for some time. He was interested in the industrial development of the west and at the time of his death was President of the Redcliff Pressed Brick Co. and Medicine Hat Brick and Tile Co. He was one of the first members of St. John's Church and attended regularly all his life. He also served as church elder for many years. John Campbell Sissons (1876-1941), James and Alexandra's first child, was born in Portage La Prairie and came to the Hat in 1884, with his mother. He attended McGill University and graduated with a D.V.S. in 1895. In 1900, he joined the Federal Government Animal Quarantine Inspection Service. He became the Chief Inspector of the Health and Animals Branch for Alberta, and remained in that position until he retired. Like his father before him, he was an active member of St. John's Church, serving as an elder and on the Board of Management. John married Mary Jane McKee Dundas Porter (1874-1962), who arrived in Medicine Hat from Ontario, at the age of 8, in 1883. Her father, Samuel Porter, was the first farmer in the area of the city now known as Porter's Hill. Mary was the first female employee in Medicine Hat, working as a bookkeeper for "The Trading Company". She received a set of Royal Crown Derby dishes as a wedding gift from her employers. John and Mary Jane had five children: James Howard (1903-1982), Thomas Campbell McKee (1905-1989), Elaine Alexandra (1906), Mary Edith (1908) and Margaret Lissa (1910). Thomas Albert (1877-1954), second son of James and Alexandra, was born in Fort Francis, Ontario. He travelled west with his family arriving in Medicine Hat as a boy of 7. The family resided on Riverside and Tom and his sisters walked to Toronto Street school across the train bridge. He completed high school in Toronto and attended the University of Toronto majoring in Political Economy. On leaving university, he took over management of the Hargrave ranch. He was a fine horseman and under his management, the family ranch produced large numbers of well-bred cattle and work horses. He was an active community leader serving on the Cypress School Board and was involved with St. John's Church. He also took an active interst in history and was instrumental in the establishment of the city's first museum in Riverside Park. Thomas married Mary Hope Whimster (1884-1977), on December 31, 1906. They had six children: Wenonah Hope (1908-1994), James Henry "Harry" (1909), Muriel Alexandra (1911), Anna Mary "Nancy" (1915), Herbert Thomas "Bert" (1917-1996) and John Huxley (1918). Mary Whimster Hargrave was an artist of note. She was the first member of the Medicine Hat Art Club, started in 1945. William Howard (1878-1965), third son of James and Alexandra, married Margaret Grassick (1879-1944). They had 3 children; Percival Duncan (1909-1992), who served as superintendant of the Brooks Horticultural Research Station from 1936 to 1969, William Grassick (1910), and Douglas Blais (1915). The fourth child and first daughter born to James and Alexandra, was Helenora Jemima (1880-1970), known to the family as "Queenie". She and her husband, James Mitchell, married in 1907, and had 3 children; Helen Elizabeth (1908), Robert Hargrave (1910-1981) and Nora Alexandra (1914). Mary Lillian Melrose (1882-1972), their fifth child, married Dr. W.L. Hawke, a local veterinarian in 1914. They did not have a family. The sixth child born to James and Alexandra was Cecil Shepard (1884-1886). Cecil died in infancy and his gravesite was the first grave in Hillside cemetery. His father had helped to acquire the property there from the government. Lissa Bella Ruth (1886-1964), the Hargrave's seventh child, married Herbert J. Sissons (1881-1949). They had 5 children: James and Joseph (1917-1918), Herbert Gordon Hargrave (1920), Thomas Eaton Alexander (1923) and William John Carse (1923). The eighth child born to James and Alexandra, was Willena Heather Izene (1888-1957). She married Thomas Murray (1883-1971), in 1913. They had 6 children: Heather Alexandra "Zanie" (1913), Melrose Isabel (1916), Aimee Alberta (1918-1921), James Hargrave (1919), Lorna Luetta (1923), and Thomas Minor (1925-1977). The last child in the Hargrave family was Andrew Ralph Carlton (1891-1979). He married Aimee June Woodcock (1892-?). They had three children: Ralph Carlton (1920), Donald Reese Freemont (1925), and Richard Stanley (1927). Three children of Thomas Hargrave, (second child of James and Alexandra), Hope Michael, Bert and Harry Hargrave have made significant contributions as citizens of Medicine Hat and area. Hope, Thomas and Mary Hope Hargrave's first child, was born in 1908. She married David Michael in 1933. They had 2 daughters: Mary Helen Alexandra (1934), and Lorna Ruth (1939). Hope and David were divorced in 1942. Hope Michael received her elementary and secondary education in Medicine Hat. She attended Calgary Normal School in 1926, and later earned a degree from the University of Alberta with a major in Home Economics. She regularly took courses and attended workshops to keep her knowledge current. She taught in a number of rural schools and later with the Medicine Hat School District #76 (1947-1970). When she retired in 1970, she received an Honorary Life Membership from the Alberta Teaching Association in recognition of her outstanding contribution to her students and profession. Keenly interested in history, Hope was a founding member of the Historical Society of Medicine Hat and served as their first Secretary. She has been an active member, helping to organize and research various personalities and events of historical interest. She has also completed extensive geneological reasearch on the Hargrave, Sissons, Whimster and Marlatt families. In 1948, she wrote a series of articles in the Medicine Hat News, relating to the history of the Elkwater area. These articles were compiled and published in 1972, under the title "90 years at Elkwater Lake, Cypress Hills, Alberta". In 1981, she and Hope Johnson, a well known local artist and amateur paleontologist, collaborated to update and expand the material into the newly titled "Down the Years at Elkwater". She and others also assisted Senator F.W. Gershaw with the preparation of "Saamis-A History of Medicine Hat", for the local celebration of Canada's centenary year. In March 1984, Hope received the Heritage Merit Award from the Alberta Historic Resources Foundation for "deep and ongoing commitment to preservation and promotion of Medicine Hat's heritage." In 1983, she had received a Heritage Merit Award from the Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery. Hope passed away in Medicine Hat on December 1, 1994. James Henry "Harry" (1909-1984), the second son of Thomas and Mary Hope Hargrave, was married to Ruth McElroy in 1935. They had two daughters, Barbara and Norma. Harry graduated from the University of Alberta in 1932, specializing in animal husbandry. His first job was managing a large ranch near Fort MacLeod. In 1934, he joined the Federal Government and was posted to the Manyberries reaserch substation. Later, he became Station Superintendent. In 1947, he transferred to Swift Current, and in 1949, to Lethbridge, where he spent 10 years in animal research at the Lethbridge Research Station. From 1959 until his retirement in 1970, he was Deputy Director of the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration at Regina. In this capacity, he showed great sympathy for the plight of native people and did his best to help many of them set up grazing industries on the reserves. During his years of dedicated service to agriculture, Harry received many awards. Some of these include the Silver Bull Award from the U.S. C

Ellis (family)

  • MED
  • Family

Graham Alan Ellis was born January 7, 1918, the second eldest son of Alan and Florence Ellis. His grandfather, John Ellis was founder of the Glenmar Ranch northeast of Medicine Hat. Graham attended school at Terra Nova, Box Springs and Redcliff. He married Rosalie (nee Kuffner), daughter of Adolf and Pauline Kuffner on August 31, 1940. The couple had 2 children: Terry Alan (1941) and Douglas Graham (1945). Graham and his brother Lynn took over the ranch from their father in 1945. The brothers began with forty head of cattle and eventually acheived a sizable herd. With funding from Ducks Unlimited, Graham turned a portion of the ranch into a goose reserve. He revived the old Channel Lake which had dried up over the years, and pumped water into it making it into a marsh land for ducks, geese and other water birds. The Ellis Ranch and Ducks Unlimited Canada erected a bronze plaque on a large boulder overlooking the flat in honor of Alan Ellis' belief in conservation.

LeGrandeur (family)

  • MED
  • Family
  • 1882-1934

Violet Pearl LeGrandeur (nee Sykes), was born in Montana in 1892. When she was 4 years of age, her family moved north to the Lesser Slave Lake area by pack train. The family resided there for some time and Violet and her brother learned to speak Cree. The family returned to Helena, and a few years later, Violet joined her cousin Nettie Taylor and her new husband at the Spencer Ranch in Milk River, Alberta. While there, she met her future husband, Emery LeGrandeur. Emery LeGrandeur was born near Pendelton, Oregon, in 1882. As a small child, he came with his parents to Pincher Creek. He worked around horses all of his life and from an early age, acquired a reputation as a fine bronco rider. In 1911, Violet and Emery were married in Taber, Alberta. Violet, having also grown up on a ranch, was a great help to Emery, as she would often train horses and break colts alongside her husband. The couple had four children: Gordon, Margaret, Nettie and Dorothy. In 1913, after taking the World's Champion Bronco title in Winnipeg, Emery took the crown in New York. He won the Northwest Bronco Championship at Gleichen, in 1914, 1915 and 1916, as well as the 1916 World's Bucking Horse Riding Championship in New York. He became Canadian Champion at Medicine Hat in 1917, and again in 1919, at Saskatoon. He was however, not just a skilled rider, but a fine all-around cowboy and judge of cowboy and rodeo events. Emery also served in the arena of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede as an Official for many years. The LeGrandeur family moved to the Peace River area for a short time and then resettled at Hussar in 1925. Emery operated a trucking line between Calgary and Hussar and Violet operated the telephone station and Post Office there. Emery LeGrandeur passed away in the Bassano Hospital on September 19, 1934. He is also an inductee in the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Richardson (family)

  • MED
  • Family
  • 1856- ?

John Bryden "J.B." Richardson (b.1856, Glasgow, Scotland. d.1937, Medicine Hat) a baker who owned his own buisness, married Margaret Corbett in Toronto, ON in 1884. J.B. and Margaret had ten children: Bertram Bryden "B.B" Richardson (b. July 31, 1885 d. February 1, 1956.), Vera, Essie, Reta, John "Jack", Howard, Helen, Annie, David Stuart, and Wallace Richardson.
Moving from Toronto to Winnipeg, J.B Richardson and his young family opened another bakery. While this business prospered--needing a fleet of nine delivery wagons in its prime--J.B decided in 1912 to sell the Bakery to Canada Bread for a significant profit and moved his family to Medicine Hat. When J.B. Richardson arrived in Medicine Hat in 1912 he purchased the Michael Leonard Bakery (City Bakery) at 663 2nd St. SE, which was the first bakery ever opened in Medicine Hat (founded 1884). J.B. Richardson enlarged the plant, and added up to date machinery, and with no large companies for competition, Richardson Bakery thrived.
Meanwhile, J.B.'s oldest son, Bert and his wife had purchased a bakery and confectionary in Redcliff, AB; but unfortunately the business was damaged in the cyclone in 1913-1914, and Bert and his family moved into Medicine Hat to be with the rest of the Richardsons.
J.B. moved the Richardson's Bakery again in 1917 to a larger location at 720 4th St SE, but quite soon after (sometime between 1917-1920?) the building was damaged by fire. This prompted J.B. to move the business yet again, and in 1923 his business--renamed as J.B. Richardson's Bakery--settled at 262 4th St SW, with B.B. Richardson living next door at 238 4th St SW, and J.B. Richardson living across the street at 249 4th St SW.
In 1929, J.B. was now in a partnership with his son B.B. in the Bakery, (now stylized as J.B. Richardson & Son Bakery) and together they decided to sell the business to Five Roses Flour Mill, which in turn renamed the building as Medicine Hat Bakery. From there, the building was enlarged again, and it became part of a chain that operated from Winnipeg to Vancouver. In 1938, Five Roses would sell this company to Weston's Bakery.
While J.B. Richardson was beginning to contemplate retirement, his son B.B. Richardson was interested in revitilzing the Bakery buisiness once again. In 1932, he purchased the Ideal Bakery at 720 4th St SW, which was the previous home of Richardson's Bakery in 1917. B.B. Richardson worked closely with his father until J.B.'s official retirement in 1934, and the Richardson's Bakery building still stands today, after being passed from B.B. Richardson to his son, Harold Richardson, and finally, to Harold's son, Ralph Richardson.

Of J.B. Richardson's children, his oldest son, Bertram Bryden Richardson married Isabella Elizabeth Fraser (b. September 26, 1886 d. November 7, 1938) and had three children: Mary Margaret, Melville Fraser and Harold Bertram.
Howard Richardson died at age 19, gassed in a boarding house in Winnipeg.
Vera Richardson married John Cooper and had three children: Grace, Margaret and Bud.
Annie Richardson married George Murray and had a son, Jack Murray--but Annie passed away unexpectedly young, at 19 years old, due to influenza.
Essie Richardson, who never married, took care of Jack Murray and raised him.
Helen Richardson married Dave Murray and had three children: Helen, Margaret and Jim.
Jack Richardson enlisted in the war in 1916, and died from influenza in Germany at the age of 23.
David Stuart Richardson, an artist and actor, married and had a son, Earl Richardson, in Los Angeles, California. He was believed to have been killed in a typhoon in Japan.
And J.B. Richardson's youngest child, Wallace Richardson, died young at three years old.

Results 1 to 10 of 282