Affichage de 28 résultats

Personne/organisme
Red Deer and District Archives

Dixon, Margaret

  • RED
  • Personne

Margaret Dixon, 1905-1972, was born in the Horn Hill district near Red Deer, Alberta to Robert Dixon and Emily Harding Dixon, recent immigrants from Durham, England. She was educated in Penhold and at the University of Alberta; she was a teacher at the Raven and Markerville schools in central Alberta. In 1933, Margaret Dixon was left a quadriplegic after an accident. She learned to write, paint and knit by mouth. She died in Red Deer and is buried in the Horn Hill Cemetery.

A-20 Army Camp

  • RED
  • Collectivité
  • 1939-1944

A-20 Army Camp was a training ground for 1,500 to 1,800 soldiers that were stationed in Red Deer during World War II. The original army barrack [building] was moved to Knee Hill, Albert in 1948 when locals wanted to create a community hall and curling rink. During a much needed renovation of the 60-year-old roof, these records were found in the attic amongst the wood-chip insulation.

Buckham, A. F.

  • RED
  • Personne

A. F. Buckham, ?-?, was raised and educated in Alberta. He spent some time in the Little Fish Lake area near Dorothy, Alberta, (ca. 1921-1924), and was in Edmonton, Alberta for his secondary schooling (ca.1928 -1931) before heading off to the University of Alberta to take a Bachelor of Engineering degree specializing in mining engineering and geology (1931-1935). He later retired in Victoria, British Columbia, and is buried in the same city. Unfortunately, little more is known about him. It is possible that his father was Alexander Kirkwood Buckham, ca. 1895-1955, of Strathcona and Edmonton, Alberta

Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society

  • RED
  • Collectivité
  • 1989-2008

The Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society was formed in 1989 to manage, operate and maintain the Red Deer and District Museum and other facilities for the benefit of the citizens of the City of Red Deer. Their society founding documents note that the facilities they maintain are to be "chiefly carried out on lands which are owned by the City of Red Deer."

This organization took over the functions previously conducted by the Museums Management Board, which existed from 1982 until 1989. Other functions included distributing funds and financial support to the Central Alberta Historical Society, Red Deer Museum Society, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, Fort Normandeau, and Sunnybrook Farm Museum.

Scott (family)

  • RED
  • Famille

George Scott Sr. (1856-1929) was born in Auchterorchie, Scotland. He married Anne Elizabeth Burton (1864-1902), and the couple had five children: Grace (Ford), Annie (McInroy), George Jr., Florence (Lawson), and Gilbert. After serving in the British Army in England and India, he joined the Royal Canadian Artillery in Kingston, Ontario in 1894 where he served for several years. In 1900, George Sr. and his family settled on a farm in the Grassy Lake district near Red Deer, Alberta. Fred Lawson (1892-1962) was born in Northumberland, England to John and Mary Jane Lawson. He came to Canada in 1911, working in Lipton, Saskatchewan for a year, before settling in Red Deer. He served in Europe with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War I. In 1919, Fred Lawson married Florence Scott (1898-1989). The couple had four children, Frances (Belich), Nellie (Hollman) Wilfred, and Pat (Blair). Fred and Florence Lawson farmed in the Grassy Lake district until 1940. At this time Fred found employment with the Federal Government in Red Deer. Both Fred and Florence Lawson are buried in Red Deer.

Earle, Herbert

  • RED
  • Personne
  • 1884-1975

Herbert Earle, 1884-1975, was born in England. He studied art and design at the Bolt Court Institute of Lithographic Art in London and qualified as a master engraver. In 1909 he married Adeliza Rhoda Wheatley, and they had six daughters, Ruby (McMullin), Eva (Clapham), Doris (Curtis), Louise (Sales), Lucy (McGee), and Adela (Anderson). He served with a militia regiment in London, and served in Burma during the First World War. After his discharge in 1920 he joined his wife and family, who were already living in Calgary, Alberta, and bought The Engraving Company there. He was accomplished as an engraver, calligrapher, illustrator, and graphic designer. He was also active in the theatrical scene in Calgary, and taught theatre arts at the Banff School of Fine Arts.

Richards, Gertrude

  • RED
  • Personne
  • 1909-1988

Gertrude Munro, 1909-1988, was born near Delburne, Alberta, the daughter of Alexander Stewart Munro and Susan Euretta Godkin, pioneer farmers. The family later moved to Red Deer, where Gertrude completed her schooling and worked for Alberta Government Telephones. In 1931 she married John Richards, a farmer in the Horn Hill district south of Red Deer. She was active in the Women's Institute, the Parkland Regional Library System, the Red Deer Exhibition Association, the Order of the Royal Purple, the Management Board of the Red Deer and District Museum, and the Waskasoo Museum Foundation. She had two children, Gwen (Beaton) and Alex.

de Wilton (family)

  • RED
  • Famille

Sussex Gerard de Wilton, (1869-1939), was a career cavalry officer, attaining the rank of captain in the Royal Scots Greys. About 1895, he married Edith Juliet Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955), who had been a Home Nurse in India (1887-1888). They had one child, Edith Doreen de Wilton (1898-1968). After his retirement, the family immigrated to the Hill End district near Red Deer, Alberta in 1903. In 1907 they homesteaded at Hardisty, Alberta. In 1915, Sussex and his wife returned to England. The following year Edith (Mrs. de Wilton) was commissioned a lieutenant-colonel in the Women's Volunteer Corps, which later became the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps. By 1918, she was the principal at the Agricultural Tractor Section School at Barrow Green. Edith Doreen de Wilton was born in Ropley, Hampshire, England, on 25th March 1898 to Sussex Gerald de Wilton, (1869-1939) and Edith Juliette Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955). Just after her seventeenth birthday, Edith married Herbert Warren Cluff of Hardisty, but the marriage was very short lived. In the summer of 1915, she left Alberta and took the stage name Olive de Wilton and joined several touring companies which played in Eastern Canada and in New York State. She was the common law spouse of William Henry Pratt (Boris Karloff) from 1915 to 1919. They were not able to make the marriage "legal' because of the de Wilton's short lived liaison with Cluff. In 1919, she returned to England and became a minor player and business manager with several acting companies. By 1925, Olive had married fellow actor Richard Meadows-White (ca. 1905-1973) and they had one child: Rosalind Edith Charlotte Meadows-White (1929-?). They founded the Northern Repertory Theatre (1925-1929), which collapsed after the couple separated. Between 1939 and 1951, Olive moved between Canada and England to teach drama as well as to direct and act in several plays. In 1952 Olive moved to Montreal, Quebec, where she was involved in Montreal Repertory Theatre, acted on local English radio and television, and wrote for the National Film Board. By 1966, Olive had taken up residence in Lacombe, Alberta. She died in 1968 in Lacombe and is buried in the local cemetery.

de Wilton, Olive

  • RED
  • Personne
  • 25 Mar 1898 - 1968

Edith Doreen de Wilton was born in Ropley, Hampshire, England, on 25th March 1898 to Sussex Gerald de Wilton, (1869-1939) and Edith Juliette Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955). Just after her seventeenth birthday, Edith married Herbert Warren Cluff of Hardisty, but the marriage was very short lived. In the summer of 1915, she left Alberta and took the stage name Olive de Wilton and joined several touring companies which played in Eastern Canada and in New York State. She was the common law spouse of William Henry Pratt (Boris Karloff) from 1915 to 1919. They were not able to make the marriage "legal' because of the de Wilton's short lived liaison with Cluff. In 1919, she returned to England and became a minor player and business manager with several acting companies. By 1925, Olive had married fellow actor Richard Meadows-White (ca. 1905-1973) and they had one child: Rosalind Edith Charlotte Meadows-White (1929-?). They founded the Northern Repertory Theatre (1925-1929), which collapsed after the couple separated. Between 1939 and 1951, Olive moved between Canada and England to teach drama as well as to direct and act in several plays. In 1952 Olive moved to Montreal, Quebec, where she was involved in Montreal Repertory Theatre, acted on local English radio and television, and wrote for the National Film Board. By 1966, Olive had taken up residence in Lacombe, Alberta. She died in 1968 in Lacombe and is buried in the local cemetery.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 28