Affichage de 20978 résultats

Personne/organisme

Attrux, Laura Margaret

  • AARN
  • Personne
  • 1909-1987

Laura Attrux graduated from St Paul's Hospital School of Nursing in Saskatoon in 1930. Her post-graduate education was taken at Vancouver General Hospital (obstetrics), the New York Maternity Centre, and the Kentucky Frontier Centre. The University of Alberta granted her a certificate in Advanced Obstetrics for Nurses, and the University of Toronto a diploma in Public Health Nursing. In 1933 she became Supervisor of Obstetrics at Holy Cross Hospital in Calgary, Alberta, and in 1939 began her career in Public Health Nursing serving in the northern Alberta communities of Valleyview, Slave Lake, Swan Hills, Whitecourt, Smith, High Level, Rainbow Lake and Wabasca/Desmarais. She provided medical and obstetrical care; on occasion she acted as dentist and veterinarian. The district nurse was also looked on as the community's doctor, counselor, social worker and community leader. Miss Attrux was particularly concerned for the Indian and Metis residents of these northern communities and extended her care to their social as well as their medical needs. At age 58 she became a licensed pilot, owing her own airplane. She received recognition for her work: the Queen Elizabeth Coronation Medal in 1953, the Pope John XXIII Bene Merenti Medal in 1960, and in 1970, an honourary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Alberta. Much of her personal record of her work no longer exists: she was an accomplished photographer, but her prints and negatives were destroyed in a flood in High Level; her diaries and notebooks of her field visits were destroyed on the orders of the Department of Health when the Public Health Nursing Service was disbanded. Miss Attrux retired to Edmonton in 1972, where she became an active volunteer with senior citizens and in church activities. She died in Edmonton in 1987 and was buried in Hafford, Saskatchewan, near her childhood home.

Parkview Community Club

  • AATH 11.08
  • Collectivité
  • 1969 - 2005

Parkhurst Social Society renamed themselves Parkview Community Club on August 12, 1969, for the purpose of restoring Parkhurst School, NE 12-67-21 W4, to use as a community hall. The club was incorporated on November 10, 1969, and the first executive was Don Ballard, president and Adele Sale, secretary-treasurer. The hall was added on to in1973 including a kitchen and dining area, and later, a stage.

Grosmont Community Club

  • AATH 12.20
  • Collectivité
  • 1950 - 1984

The Grosmont Community Club’s original hall was built in 1929. It measured 52’10” by 27’7” and had a capacity of 175. The earliest surviving minutes are for the Grosmont Community Women’s Club, dated July 1950 – February 1964. The first president was Pearl Barr. Members met in private homes, and they were involved in hall events and maintenance. Men were invited to join in 1960 and meetings then took place in the hall. By-laws were registered in October 1974, and in 1974, the original building had an addition.

Rochester & District Agricultural Society

  • AATH 12.27
  • Collectivité
  • 1979 - Present

The Rochester & District Agricultural Society (RDAS) was chartered on the 21st day of August 1979 and is a non-profit organization that brings people together to celebrate agriculture’s influence on our past, present, and future. The first charter night was January 25, 1980, and the Chairman was Allan Gerlach.
RDAS is committed to promoting agriculture, preserving community spirit, and researching local agricultural history. Hard-working volunteers maintain facilities and run programs and events that bring people together. The facilities include a hall, fair grounds, outdoor horse arena, baseball diamond, beer garden, summer hall, and skating rink with warm-up room.

Johnson, Agnes (Trottier)

  • AATH 13.13
  • Personne
  • 1912 - 2003

Agnes Trottier was born in Jeffery, Alberta in 1912 to Irenée Trottier and his wife, Elizabeth (Parent). The family later moved to Edmonton, Alberta where Agnes became good friends with Rose Gamber (LaBranche), married to Ed Gamber. In 1932, Agnes accompanied the Gambers to Pelican Poratge on the Athabasca River where Gambers ran the Pelican Rapids Trading Post. Agnes later married Ole Johnson of Rich Lake, Alberta. She was the mother of five children, and she died in 2003.

Friends of the Athabasca Environmental Association

  • AATH 19.02
  • Collectivité
  • 1988-1996

A bleached kraft pulp mill on the Athabasca River was announced by Alberta-Pacific (Al-Pac) and the Alberta Government in 1988 and Alberta-Pacific submitted to Alberta Environment an environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the project on May 8, 1989. A series of public meetings to address the EIA was scheduled by Al-Pac. A group of environmentally-concerned citizens formed Friends of the Athabasca Environmental Association on September 19, 1988 to express their concerns about the bleached kraft pulp mill. The group had broad objectives in terms of the Athabasca River Basin, but their main objective was to mitigate the effects on the environment of the Athabasca River. FOTA was aware that the project would brings jobs to the Athabasca area, and was firmly behind the plan, but questioned why a bleached kraft pulp mill was being considered. The group was active between 1988 and 1996.

Bazalgette, Charles and Trish

  • AATH 24.01
  • Personne
  • 2010

Charles and Trish Bazalgette moved to the Town of Athabasca in 1999 and bought a business, Two Hens Framing and Gifts. They changed the name to Old Crow Antiques and Framing, and Trish ran the business. The store was situated in the back of the Veritas Center on 49th Street, owned by Fritz Prufer. In 2002 they bought the building and expanded their store to the front, keeping the back for workshop and office space. In 2003 they started the Tizzie Bazalcat Shelter for Homeless Cats, a spin-off from the Second Chance Animal Rescue Society.
In 2005 the Bazalgettes made overtures to the Town of Athabasca to buy the CNR train station which had recently been vacated by the Athabasca Senior Citizen’s Society; however, the Town of Athabasca wasn’t willing to sell the station. In August 2006, the Bazalgettes bought the old Anglican Church Rectory from the Lewis family and began preserving and restoring the house. They moved Old Crow to the rectory and rented out their old space in the Veritas Centre to DataWest Computers. They closed the doors to the cat shelter that year but kept the remaining cats in their care.
In 2008 they sold the Veritas Center to accountant Glen Martin.
In 2009 and 2010, they were instrumental in starting the Friends of the Athabasca Train Station (FATS) society for the purpose of researching, restoring, and promoting the 1912 train station. They created public interest in the station and succeeded in obtaining a 25-year lease for the station with the Town of Athabasca and Athabasca Heritage Society for the purpose of conserving the building and creating community space. Charles was Chair of Heritage Society at that time.
In 2010, Trish wrote and published a print and online newsletter, “Women Mean Business: Athabasca’s Small Small-Business Community.”
In 2013 they closed Old Crow and relocated to Salmo, BC where they opened Tara Books, which operated until 2022 when Trish retired.

Olson, Mary

  • AATH MO
  • Personne
  • 1933 - Present

Mary Olson (nee Buxton) was born at a midwife's house in Bowden, Alberta on April 28th, 1933. She came to Athabasca to teach school in 1951, boarding with the Loiselle family in South Athabasca. She married Carl Olson on November 1, 1952, and had two sons, Kelly, and Ken. She returned to teaching in Athabasca when Kelly started school. Mary taught every grade from kindergarten (a private class when Kelly was four and five, in the United Church basement) up to Grade 12. She attended summer school and obtained a Bachelor of Education majoring in English. She retired in 1989 and finishing her teaching career having taught English, Drama and Music. Mary retired at age 55 and taught private music lessons for about 25 years after that.

Mary always loved drama, from her Bowden school days, at university, teaching, and with the Athabasca Players. She was an actor until they needed a director which she enjoyed that more than acting. She also has directed several singing groups through the years: the Now Generation, Joyful Sound Choir, and Golden Memories Choir. She played organ at several churches from the 50's to the 2000's.

Perryvale School District No. 4390

  • AAth 12.07
  • Collectivité
  • 1929 - 1938

In the late 1920s, Lewiston School, which was on the west side of Perryvale, Alberta, was at capacity. Percy Jennings, Fred Springler and Charles Kubbernus formed a committee who, along with the district superintendent, petitioned the Alberta Department of Education to fund a new school 3.5 miles south of Perryvale. Perryvale School District No. 4390 was established in 1929 and the one-room school opened in 1930 with Mrs. Parton as the first teacher. Charles Kubbernus was the Chairman of the Board. The secretary/treasurers were H. Jennings, 1932, Charlotte Ward, 1932 and Mary Reneau, 1935 – 38. The school closed in 1938.

Alberta Society of Artists.

  • ACU SPC

The Alberta Society of Artists was founded by a group of Calgary artists led by Alfred C. Leighton and incorporated in 1931. Objectives of the Society are to foster and promote the fine arts in Alberta. A.C. Leighton, the first president, was succeeded by a number of prominent Alberta artists including H.G. Glyde, Illingworth Kerr, Stan Perrot and Ken Sturdy. The Society published several issues of a newsletter Artometer in the 1930s, followed by Highlights, which began publication in the late 1940s. Highlights flourished under the editorship of Jim Nicoll, when it included original works of art and was published in limited editions of 100 issues, the average size of the membership at that time. Additional information in Alberta Society of Artists : the first seventy years / by Kathy Zimon (Calgary : University of Calgary Press, 2000).

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 20978