Showing 23594 results

Authority record

Attrux, Laura Margaret

  • AARN
  • Person
  • 1909-1987

Laura Attrux graduated from St Paul's Hospital School of Nursing in Saskatoon in 1930. Her post-graduate education was taken at Vancouver General Hospital (obstetrics), the New York Maternity Centre, and the Kentucky Frontier Centre. The University of Alberta granted her a certificate in Advanced Obstetrics for Nurses, and the University of Toronto a diploma in Public Health Nursing. In 1933 she became Supervisor of Obstetrics at Holy Cross Hospital in Calgary, Alberta, and in 1939 began her career in Public Health Nursing serving in the northern Alberta communities of Valleyview, Slave Lake, Swan Hills, Whitecourt, Smith, High Level, Rainbow Lake and Wabasca/Desmarais. She provided medical and obstetrical care; on occasion she acted as dentist and veterinarian. The district nurse was also looked on as the community's doctor, counselor, social worker and community leader. Miss Attrux was particularly concerned for the Indian and Metis residents of these northern communities and extended her care to their social as well as their medical needs. At age 58 she became a licensed pilot, owing her own airplane. She received recognition for her work: the Queen Elizabeth Coronation Medal in 1953, the Pope John XXIII Bene Merenti Medal in 1960, and in 1970, an honourary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Alberta. Much of her personal record of her work no longer exists: she was an accomplished photographer, but her prints and negatives were destroyed in a flood in High Level; her diaries and notebooks of her field visits were destroyed on the orders of the Department of Health when the Public Health Nursing Service was disbanded. Miss Attrux retired to Edmonton in 1972, where she became an active volunteer with senior citizens and in church activities. She died in Edmonton in 1987 and was buried in Hafford, Saskatchewan, near her childhood home.

Athabasca Clay Products Ltd.

  • ACP 64-68
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 - 1968

Athabasca Clay Products was a business that operated in Athabasca, Alberta from 1964 - 1968. All items were made from local red clay. Pottery was distributed from numerous gift shops in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, including one on Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.

Guay, John Wilfrid

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1925-2012

John Guay's father, Wilfred, moved his family to the Perryvale area from Peace River in [1933]. John was the eldest son of 7 children born Aug. 23, 1925 in Donnelly, Saskatchewan. He was responsible for the farm work. He joined the Canadian Army in WWII and was wounded in Italy. He worked for the City of Edmonton Transit System from 1946 to 1979. In 1948 he married Margaret Busby of Edmonton with whom he had 3 children. They retired to Perryvale where John pursued his hobbies: building working models of a 1915 75hp Case steam engine, 1919 Model T coupe and a Civil War black powder cannon. He built a stagecoach for Athabasca's 75th Anniversary in 1986. He was a member of the Alberta Pioneer Railway Association and helped to salvage and restore the streetcar in Fort Edmonton Park. He was also an oldtime fiddler. John Guay died March 10, 2012.

Alice B. Donahue Library and Archives

  • ATH
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

In 1946, Eric Hodgson held a meeting of representatives of different community organizations to discuss establishing a library in Athabasca. A committee was struck and met in June 1946 to nominate a library board. The library was known as the Athabasca and District Public Library from 1946 to 1966, the Athabasca Municipal Library from 1966 to 1980, and the Athabasca Municipal Library and Archives from 1980 until it adopted its current name in 1988. The library was located in the Town Hall, the Community Centre, and the former Provincial Building until it moved to the Brick School Complex in 1979. The archival program began as early as 1957 when the library stored historic documents until a historical society could be formed. In 1979 a separate room was designated, and volunteers organized and solicited material for a history book published in 1986. The first part-time archivist was hired in 1988.

Mol, Marilyn Anne

  • ATH
  • Person

Marilyn (Lane) Mol was born in Regina, SK in 1945 and grew up in Young, SK. She graduated with a B.Ed from the University of Saskatchewan and a B.L. Sc from the University of Alberta. In 1979 she married Dr. Adrianus Mol and they moved to Athabasca, AB where their three children Daniel, Catherine and Miriam, were born. Marilyn became the archivist for the Town of Athabasca in 1991, and helped to write the book: Athabasca Album: a Pictorial History, 1875-1999.

Mills (family)

  • ATH
  • Family

Mr. and Mrs. Oran Mills moved to Athabasca in 1913, where Oran Mills served as the first station agent for the Canadian Northern Railway. While living in Athabasca, their fourth son, Donald, and their only daughter, Eva, were born. Two other sons were named Lawrence and Wellington.

In 1914, Oran Mills was manager of the Northern Transportation Company, Limited at Athabasca Landing. In about 1915 the family moved to a farm near Westlock where they lived until about 1937. Mr. Mills died in a road accident near Perryvale, AB in Sept., 1946. Eva married Bill Forsyth from Pibroch, AB in June, 1940. Later they moved to Mission, BC.

de Candole, Wendy

  • ATH
  • Person

Wendy de Candole was the first archivist at Athabasca University.

Frederick Lawrence Rein

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1904-1974

Frederick Lawrence Rein was born in 1904 in Ontario. He married Violet Wilson in 1938. They farmed in the Perryvale area on his parent's homestead. They raised five children. Fred died in 1974.

Day, Cloe Irene

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1910-

Cloe, born in 1910 in Nebraska, was one of five children born to Clyde Payne and his wife, Nettie Jackson. The family moved from the USA in 1928 seeking a drier climate for Cloe's tuberculosis. Cloe attended Normal School in Edmonton and began teaching in July, 1930 at Calling Lake, AB. Cloe married Jack Day in 1931. They had two children, Pat and Chester. They separated in the early 1940s. Cloe taught in many schools, retiring in 1970.

Amber Valley

  • ATH
  • Corporate body
  • Unknown

Amber Valley, formerly known as Pine Creek, and nearby Poplar Ridge were settled in 1909-1911 by several hundred Oklahoma blacks who were fleeing racial segregation.

Results 1 to 10 of 23594