Showing 23594 results

Authority record

Aberdeen School District No. 291

Aberdeen School District Number (No.) 291 was formed on October 11, 1893 near Innisfail, Alberta. Specifically, it was located at Section 20, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (20-35-27-W4). The first school board members included Alex McGillivary, W.L. Center, and Egerton Greer. H. A. Malcolm was hired as the first teacher and also fulfilled the duties of secretary-treasurer for the school board. In 1916 the school was moved to Section 29, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (29-35-27-W4). The school was closed circa (ca.) 1957 and ministerial approval for sale of the school land to the Innisfail community was given ca. 1958.

Aboussafy (family)

Ameen Emil Aboussafy was born in Lebanon in 1860. Together with his wife Halabea, the Aboussafys immigrated to Canada in 1899 and settled in Quebec. The Aboussafy's lived in Quebec for ten years before moving to Red Deer. After a short period in Red Deer, the Aboussafys moved to Wetaskiwin and Emil Aboussafy opened a general store with his brother-in-law Sam Murray called Aboussafy and Murray. Mr. Aboussafy bought out Mr. Murray in 1922 and renamed the store Aboussafy and Sons. The Aboussafy's expanded their business in the twenties by opening another store in Wetaskiwin and one in Gwynne. The Aboussafys had seven children, Frank, Ely, George, Joe, Abraham, Michael and Emeline. Emil Aboussafy died in 1944 and Halabea Aboussafy died in 1948.

Fratkin, Abraham I.

Abraham I. Fratkin was born in 1889 in Russia. In 1903 he moved to China and joined an orchestra as a flautist. He stayed there for four years and then returned to Russia where he joined an orchestra in Kiev. In 1912 he immigrated to Canada to avoid military service and settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba, bringing the rest of his family over after. Fratkin became the musical director of the Allan theatres, and opened a theatre in Edmonton, Alberta in 1918. He became involved in the Jewish community in Edmonton as a member of the Hebrew Free Loan Society and other organizations, and he also formed his own orchestra at the Capitol Theatre called the Capitoliens. He opened a music store in 1928 called Art Music Limited, but the store closed during the depression. In 1943 he became the first conductor of the newly established Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. He began teaching music in Edmonton and ca. 1951 moved to Vancouver, British Columbia where he opened a business.

Goldberg, Abraham

Abraham Goldberg was the last of four children born to Hendel (Pytel) and Aharon Goldberg in 1922 in Lodz, Poland. Abraham's grandfather, Abraham Pytel was a successful businessman. Aharon was an ardent Zionist who moved with his family from Poland to Israel in 1925, when Abraham was two years old. Aharon was murdered in 1929 and Abraham's mother Hendel moved back to Lodz with Abraham; a year later his older brother David also returned to Lodz. Abraham's sisters Bella and Yona remained in Israel. The Jews of Lodz were herded into the infamous Lodz ghetto in January 1940. Abraham fled on February 29th, 1940. Hendel perished in the Nazi concentration camp Majdanek in 1942, after ending up in the Warsaw ghetto in 1941. Abraham survived by fleeing into Russia where he was imprisoned by the Soviet government. His brother David spent the war in France. Abraham was eventually released from the gulag and worked in the Soviet Union until the end of the war. Abraham met his wife Hannah (Burstein) while working in Stalinabad. At the end of the war Abraham and Hannah ended up in a displaced persons camp in Germany. They went south to a refugee collection point in Sete, on the Mediterranean coast of France, with their 18 month-old son. On July 9, 1947 the ship "President Warfield" sailed into Sete, flying a Honduran flag. Abraham, Hannah and their son boarded with false Costa Rican passports. The Jewish underground organized the trip, reusing the 2000 passports for the 4, 500 passengers. Shadowed by the H.M.S. Mermaid naval sloop, a British Lancaster bomber overhead, a pair of British minesweepers, the H.M.S. Ajax, three more destroyers, and a frigate, the "Warfield" changed its name to "Exodus 1947." British sailors and marines boarded the ship and captured it after a two-hour battle. The refugees, including Hannah, Abraham and their son Aharon were marched onto a pier at Haifa and then transferred to British prison ships, to be returned to Germany. Abraham and Hanna's second son, Hillel, was born August 29, 1947 on a ship in the Atlantic returning to Hamburg. Abraham and Hanna and their sons made it to Israel as legitimate Jewish refugees on August 14, 1948. In Israel, Abraham worked with the Ford Motor Company, Shell Oil and served as secretary of the then Liberal party's Haifa branch. After 18 years in Israel, they emigrated to Canada in 1966 to help out relatives in Winnipeg. They moved to Edmonton in 1970. Abraham and his partners, the Baums and the Millers acquired the Royal Hotel in Edmonton. Abraham was involved in both the Canadian Zionist Federation and the Canada Israel Committee. He was an ongoing contributor to the Edmonton Journal's "letters to the editor" to set the record straight about Israel and Jewish affairs in the media. Abraham is involved extensively in the Jewish community and the general community. He is a member of the Beth Israel synagogue, served on the board of the Jewish Federation, as well as being a member of the CZF, CIC and a male life associate member of Canadian Hadassah-WIZO. He is an active member of the Holocaust Education Committee, traveling throughout Alberta lecturing and teaching. Abraham was the Honouree of the Negev Dinner in 2000. Abraham and Hannah Goldberg have three sons: Aharon, Ilan and Hillel.

Okpik, Abraham

Abraham Okpik, 1929-1997, was born near Kipnik in the Mackenzie Delta of the Northwest Territories. As a youth he suffered from tuberculosis and a leg injury, but became a respected hunter and trapper. He became a translator, administrator, and Inuit leader. In 1965 he was the first Inuk to sit on the Territorial Council. In 1968-1970 he headed Operation Surname, a project that allowed the Inuit to be known by their names, rather than by numbers. He eventually made his home in Iqaluit, now in Nunavut. He was made a member of the Order of Canada. He was married to Martha Ningeok, and had several children including Roy Inglangasuk. During 1969-1971 he was commissioned by the Riveredge Foundation to visit Arctic communities and record songs, stories and legends of the elders.

University of Calgary. Academic Planning Committee

The first meeting of the Academic Planning Committee (APC) was held in September, 1966. The predecessors of this Committee were the Calgary Campus Planning Committee (1963-1964) and the University Planning Committee (UPC) (1964-1966). After the University was granted autonomy, the Academic Planning Committee became the main body that addressed the academic development of the University. The APC had seven members including the Director of Campus Planning and the Vice-President (Academic) who was designated as Chair. The first members in 1966 were W.R. Trost (Senator and VP Academic), J.C. Cragg, I. Duncan (Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds), S.A. Lindstedt (Professor and Head of Curriculum and Instruction), H. Mitchell (Associatin Professor and Head of History), J.G. Nelson (Associate Professor and Head of Geography), B.G. Wilson (Professor of Physics). The terms of reference for the Academic Planning Committee were to prepare master plans for the academic development of the University and to recommend these plans to the General Faculty Council. The APC was also to review any proposals for new buildings before passing them to the Campus Planning Committee. The review process was seen as necessary in order to ensure the relevance of these buildings to academic plans. The Committee produced 10 reports on proposed long-range planning in anticipation of increased enrollment and university land development and expansion. In the fall of 1969, the Academic Planning Committee's task of institutional planning policy formulation was split between three new committees: Academic Policy Committee, Business and Finance Policy Committee and Capital Resources Policy Committee. The Academic Planning Committee's last meeting was in October, 1969. The Committee continued for a few months as a staff function and was officially dissolved by the General Faculty Council in February, 1970.

University of Calgary. Academic Policy Committee

The Academic Policy Committee was responsible for forming policies regarding the development of academic goals and plans; the development of the policy framework within which these goals and plans could be defined, priorities could be determined, alternative academic proposals assessed, and an academic plan developed; and the development and maintenance of projects of detailed academic policy. The Committee's predecessor was the Academic Planning Committee (1966-1969) whose responsibilities were split in 1969 into three separate Committees: Academic Policy, Business & Finance, Capital Resources Policy. Membership on the Academic Policy Committee included two lay members of the Board of Governors; six members from the General Faculties Council; two students; the Vice-President (Academic), who was the Committee's Executive Officer; the President; the Chairman of the Board; and the Academic Secretary, who was the Committee's secretary. The Committee was not a General Faculties Council or Board of Governors committee, but reported to the GFC in order to make recommendations, and to the BOG for information. Correlating academic policy with financial and physical resources was the responsibility of the Executive Officer of the APC working with the Executive Officers of the other two policy committees (Business & Finance, Capital Resources) through the President's Executive Advisory Committee. The Hickling-Johnson report of 1972 changed the structure of the three policy committees by redistributing some of the responsibilities among the Vice-Presidents. The final membership of these policy committees was modified so that the Executive Oficers (Vice-Presidents) and Chairs now sat on all three policy committees. The final meeting of the Academic Policy committee took place in January, 1975. In April, 1975 the Policy and Planning Committee was formed which effectively combined the Academic Policy, Business & Finance and Capital Resources Policy committees into one structure again.

Bury, Absalom Clark

A. Clark Bury, ca. 1884-1960, was born in Lancashire, England, and in 1903 came to Winnipeg where he joined the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP). He was transferred to Calgary in that year and took part in the manhunt for convicted murderer Ernest Cashel. In 1904-1906 he was stationed at Olds, the Peace River area and Fort Macleod, Alberta and Fort St. John, British Columbia. He was discharged from the force in 1908 and resumed law studies which he had begun in England. In 1911 he was police magistrate in Coronation, Alberta. He was admitted to the Bar in 1915 and began practicing in Olds the following year. At some point during First World War he was adjutant at an internment camp in Jasper. He and his wife, Gertrude, 1876-1958, were married ca. 1914. She was admitted to the Bar in 1921 and practiced with Clark in Olds, Calgary and Red Deer. They had two sons, William Haworth and Douglas C. Clark ran unsuccessfully as a Liberal federal candidate for Red Deer in 1940. He and Gertrude lived in Olds until 1950 when they moved to Red Deer.

University of Calgary. Academic Program Committee

<p>The Academic Program Committee (APC) is a standing committee of General Faculties Council. The Committee was established on April 27, 1989 (GFC 329.5.1). The purpose of the Academic Program Committee is to facilitate the development of academic programs; to evaluate and approve proposals for the creation, reduction or deletion of programs as mandated by General Faculties Council (GFC); to encourage innovation in the design and delivery of programs; to promote continuous improvement in the quality of teaching and learning for all academic programs and to report to GFC on matters of policy relating to the quality and integrity of academic programming. <p>Membership consists of five members, one of whom will be an elected member of GFC, named by the GFC Steering Committee for terms of two years, renewable. One of these members shall be named by the Steering Committee as Chair of APC and one as Vice Chair. Additional Committee members include one or two students named by the Students' Legislative Council; one representative from the Graduate Students' Association; and one representative from the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Ex officio members of the Committee include the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Program Coordination Committee; the Vice-Provost (Students); and the Registrar. Non-voting members include the President or delegate of The University of Calgary Faculty Association; the Deputy Provost as Executive Secretary; and other resource people as required.</p>

Results 1 to 10 of 23594