Showing 28 results

Authority record
Red Deer and District Archives

de Wilton, Olive

  • RED
  • Person
  • 25 Mar 1898 - 1968

Edith Doreen de Wilton was born in Ropley, Hampshire, England, on 25th March 1898 to Sussex Gerald de Wilton, (1869-1939) and Edith Juliette Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955). Just after her seventeenth birthday, Edith married Herbert Warren Cluff of Hardisty, but the marriage was very short lived. In the summer of 1915, she left Alberta and took the stage name Olive de Wilton and joined several touring companies which played in Eastern Canada and in New York State. She was the common law spouse of William Henry Pratt (Boris Karloff) from 1915 to 1919. They were not able to make the marriage "legal' because of the de Wilton's short lived liaison with Cluff. In 1919, she returned to England and became a minor player and business manager with several acting companies. By 1925, Olive had married fellow actor Richard Meadows-White (ca. 1905-1973) and they had one child: Rosalind Edith Charlotte Meadows-White (1929-?). They founded the Northern Repertory Theatre (1925-1929), which collapsed after the couple separated. Between 1939 and 1951, Olive moved between Canada and England to teach drama as well as to direct and act in several plays. In 1952 Olive moved to Montreal, Quebec, where she was involved in Montreal Repertory Theatre, acted on local English radio and television, and wrote for the National Film Board. By 1966, Olive had taken up residence in Lacombe, Alberta. She died in 1968 in Lacombe and is buried in the local cemetery.

de Wilton (family)

  • RED
  • Family

Sussex Gerard de Wilton, (1869-1939), was a career cavalry officer, attaining the rank of captain in the Royal Scots Greys. About 1895, he married Edith Juliet Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955), who had been a Home Nurse in India (1887-1888). They had one child, Edith Doreen de Wilton (1898-1968). After his retirement, the family immigrated to the Hill End district near Red Deer, Alberta in 1903. In 1907 they homesteaded at Hardisty, Alberta. In 1915, Sussex and his wife returned to England. The following year Edith (Mrs. de Wilton) was commissioned a lieutenant-colonel in the Women's Volunteer Corps, which later became the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps. By 1918, she was the principal at the Agricultural Tractor Section School at Barrow Green. Edith Doreen de Wilton was born in Ropley, Hampshire, England, on 25th March 1898 to Sussex Gerald de Wilton, (1869-1939) and Edith Juliette Hughenden-Holloway (1871-1955). Just after her seventeenth birthday, Edith married Herbert Warren Cluff of Hardisty, but the marriage was very short lived. In the summer of 1915, she left Alberta and took the stage name Olive de Wilton and joined several touring companies which played in Eastern Canada and in New York State. She was the common law spouse of William Henry Pratt (Boris Karloff) from 1915 to 1919. They were not able to make the marriage "legal' because of the de Wilton's short lived liaison with Cluff. In 1919, she returned to England and became a minor player and business manager with several acting companies. By 1925, Olive had married fellow actor Richard Meadows-White (ca. 1905-1973) and they had one child: Rosalind Edith Charlotte Meadows-White (1929-?). They founded the Northern Repertory Theatre (1925-1929), which collapsed after the couple separated. Between 1939 and 1951, Olive moved between Canada and England to teach drama as well as to direct and act in several plays. In 1952 Olive moved to Montreal, Quebec, where she was involved in Montreal Repertory Theatre, acted on local English radio and television, and wrote for the National Film Board. By 1966, Olive had taken up residence in Lacombe, Alberta. She died in 1968 in Lacombe and is buried in the local cemetery.

Waskasoo Museum Foundation

  • RED 19
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-2018

The Waskasoo Museum Foundation was founded with the purpose to accept financial gifts and bequests and to be a source of extraordinary financial assistance to the Red Deer Museum. The Foundation supported research activities, provided bursaries for students, and assisted with the cost of special events. The Foundation also evaluated requests for money from the Red Deer Heritage Fund. The funding to start the Foundation came from $50,000 in excess funds from the campaign to build the Museum building. It also
acquired funding from grants and donations. The Foundation had up to 9 Directors serving 3 year terms. There was no general membership.

Trimble (family)

  • RED
  • Family

Andrew Hill Trimble, 1846-1936, was born at Pembroke, Ontario. He served in a militia regiment during the Fenian Raids, and learned the trade of cheese making. He married Cynthia Wright, d. 1886, and they had eight sons, Horace, Albert, Herbert, Frederick, Benjamin, William, Garnet, and Clarence. In 1888 he married his second cousin Lydia Anne Trimble, and they had five children, Amy (Prout), Roy, Janie (Rogers) (Orme), Gladys, and Delmer. In 1889 the family migrated to southern Alberta, and in 1890 settled in the Red Deer area, where they established several farms and creameries in Red Deer and in the Clearview and Pine Lake districts. Herbert Willard "Herb" Trimble, b. 1875, took over the management of the Trimble Creamery in Red Deer and was also a partner in a fox ranch. He married Levina Brett, and they had three children, Willard, Velma (Bell), and Elaine (Henderson). Willard Dean Trimble, 1904-1969, operated a sign painting and postcard business in Red Deer. He married Emily Margaret Sveinson, 1904?-1996, and they had three children, Gary, Joan (Snell), and Dawn (Hansen).

Scott (family)

  • RED
  • Family

George Scott Sr. (1856-1929) was born in Auchterorchie, Scotland. He married Anne Elizabeth Burton (1864-1902), and the couple had five children: Grace (Ford), Annie (McInroy), George Jr., Florence (Lawson), and Gilbert. After serving in the British Army in England and India, he joined the Royal Canadian Artillery in Kingston, Ontario in 1894 where he served for several years. In 1900, George Sr. and his family settled on a farm in the Grassy Lake district near Red Deer, Alberta. Fred Lawson (1892-1962) was born in Northumberland, England to John and Mary Jane Lawson. He came to Canada in 1911, working in Lipton, Saskatchewan for a year, before settling in Red Deer. He served in Europe with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War I. In 1919, Fred Lawson married Florence Scott (1898-1989). The couple had four children, Frances (Belich), Nellie (Hollman) Wilfred, and Pat (Blair). Fred and Florence Lawson farmed in the Grassy Lake district until 1940. At this time Fred found employment with the Federal Government in Red Deer. Both Fred and Florence Lawson are buried in Red Deer.

Richards, Gertrude

  • RED
  • Person
  • 1909-1988

Gertrude Munro, 1909-1988, was born near Delburne, Alberta, the daughter of Alexander Stewart Munro and Susan Euretta Godkin, pioneer farmers. The family later moved to Red Deer, where Gertrude completed her schooling and worked for Alberta Government Telephones. In 1931 she married John Richards, a farmer in the Horn Hill district south of Red Deer. She was active in the Women's Institute, the Parkland Regional Library System, the Red Deer Exhibition Association, the Order of the Royal Purple, the Management Board of the Red Deer and District Museum, and the Waskasoo Museum Foundation. She had two children, Gwen (Beaton) and Alex.

Red Deer and District Museum Society

  • RED 20
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-Present

The Red Deer & District Museum Society began as a Steering Committee of the Central Alberta Pioneers' and Old Timers' Association with a Museum space in the basement of the Recreation Centre. The Society focused on building a collection, hiring staff for the Red Deer Museum, and on building a permanent museum, opening the new facility in 1978.
In 1983, an addition provided the Atrium, Stewart Room, two galleries, a second reserve storage room and enlargement of the Archives. Subsequently, in 1993 and 1994, an additional storage area was constructed for the Museum and Archives collections. The Society has up to twelve volunteer Board members and currently uses a Policy Governance model to govern the Red Deer Museum + Art Gallery.

Red Deer Museums' Staff Association

  • RED 22
  • Corporate body
  • 1993-2008

On February 15, 1989 a group of staff decided to formally organize an association that incorporates the staff of the Red Deer & District Museum, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, and Fort Normandeau under the name "the Red Deer Museums' Staff Association". The purpose of this Association was to "communicate amongst ourselves, represent the interests of staff, and actively communicate with the Board in the interests of the museums' system."

This organization grew out of a change in the Museum Management Board structure and concerns about unionization and merger into the City of Red Deer system. There were meetings and correspondence around these changes and concerns, including requesting that a nonmanagement staff member have a seat at the Board. Following the creation of the Association, they changed that request to have an Association member attend in the capacity of Observer.

The Association dissolved when the members of it became part of the local CUPE 417-06 union, around the same time that the Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society ended its operations. This took place by 2008.

Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society

  • RED
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-2008

The Normandeau Cultural and Natural History Society was formed in 1989 to manage, operate and maintain the Red Deer and District Museum and other facilities for the benefit of the citizens of the City of Red Deer. Their society founding documents note that the facilities they maintain are to be "chiefly carried out on lands which are owned by the City of Red Deer."

This organization took over the functions previously conducted by the Museums Management Board, which existed from 1982 until 1989. Other functions included distributing funds and financial support to the Central Alberta Historical Society, Red Deer Museum Society, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, Fort Normandeau, and Sunnybrook Farm Museum.

McMullen (family)

  • RED
  • Family

Joseph Reid McMullen, 1855-1942, was born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario, a son of Robert Clinton McMullen, fl. 1850, a notary public and coroner in that city. He married Mary Elizabeth Bradley in 1880. They had four children: Frank, ?-1935, Lillian, 1895-1896, Claude, ?-1916, and Louis, ?-1951. In 1896 the family left Port Arthur, Ontario after the death of Lillian and moved west. They finally settled in Calgary, Alberta in 1912, where Joseph became a soap company salesman. After the death of Louis, her husband, Ruby E. McMullen, 1911-1989, moved to Red Deer to reside with her daughter and granddaughter

Results 1 to 10 of 28