Fonds 0026 - Agnes Forbes Auxiliary fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Agnes Forbes Auxiliary fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

United Women's Community Club

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the two more permanent names of the organization.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0026

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1916-1929 (Creation)
    Creator
    Agnes Forbes Auxiliary

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1916-unknown)

Administrative history

The Agnes Forbes Auxiliary was founded as the Glen Leslie Auxiliary in 1916, a women's auxiliary to the Glen Leslie Presbyterian Church, which had been built in 1915. The name was changed to the Agnes Forbes Auxiliary in May of 1916. The ladies met monthly in the homes of members; it appears that the "meetings" were used for practical occasions such as quilting, preparing for events or cleaning the church, as well as social occasions such as farewells. Devotional exercises, readings and music were a regular part of the meeting. Founding members were, "Mesdames Leslie, Milne, Minchin, Weatherly, Hackwell and Miss Johnston. Mesdames Forbes and Shuttleworth of McQueen's Auxiliary were present to organize the society." The women participated in many community events such as the Frontier Exhibition and held an annual 'Christmas Tree' for the Somme School children, (Glen Leslie Church being also used as a school). They also did quilting, sewing, knitting and fancy work for fund-raising sales and the Red Cross, and supported soldiers from the Glen Leslie area through letters and gifts. In 1918, the club was enlarged to include all the women in the community and the name changed to the United Women's Community Club. They supported the church and the Smoky Community Hall through membership dues and fund-raising through fowl suppers, dramatic presentations and sales of work, and introduced new programs such as a community Sunday School. They also planned and prepared for the annual community picnic and sports day and worked with other community groups such as sports organizations to sponsor events. In 1928, a new society was formed, patterned after and taking on the name of the previous, "Agnes Forbes Auxiliary", while focusing on spiritual needs rather than community events.

Custodial history

The records were preserved by Hazel Weegar, a member of the Agnes Forbes Auxiliary, and donated to Grande Prairie Museum after her death by her daughter-in-law, Betty Weegar, in 1996. In 2000, the responsibility for the records was transferred to Grande Prairie Regional Archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book containing the minutes of the club from April 28,1916 to February 28, 1929.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were donated by Betty Weegar on behalf of Hazel Weegar, a member of the Agnes Forbes Auxiliary.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 1996.48

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0026

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres