Fonds 0034 - Alberta Association of Registered Nurses, Grande Prairie Chapter 16 fonds

Early Nurses' Residence Montrose House Grande Prairie Nurses' Residence Montrose House Kathryn Prittie Hospital Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital Grande Prairie Nurses' Residence Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital Addition New Wing for the Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital Grande Prairie Auxiliary Hospital
Results 1 to 10 of 11 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alberta Association of Registered Nurses, Grande Prairie Chapter 16 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the records.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0034

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-1998 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alberta Association of Registered Nurses. Grande Prairie Chapter 16

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records
11 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1916-1999)

Administrative history

The Alberta Association of Registered Nurses was formed in 1916. Subsequently, districts and chapters were formed throughout the province for the support, continuing education and mobilization of their members. The first Grande Prairie Chapter of the Alberta Association of Registered Nurses was formed in 1950, long after nursing services came to the area in 1909. A forerunner of the Association was the Nurses’ Club formed in 1941. In January 1950, this club moved to become a chapter of the AARN for the purpose of the support, continuing education and mobilization of their members. Members included nurses working at the Municipal Hospital, the Auxiliary Hospital, the Grande Prairie Health Unit and the Victorian Order of Nurses. In 1966 the AARN divided the province into districts and the Grande Prairie Chapter became part of Chapter 16. They were an active chapter in the North District until the dissolution of the district in 1999.

Custodial history

Some of the records, including a group of framed photographs, were donated to the Grande Prairie Museum by the Grande Prairie Nurse's Club in 1970. A further accrual was acquired by the museum in 1999 from Barbara Bragg, a member of the Grande Prairie Chapter of the AARN.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the by-laws, minutes, reports, membership lists, news clippings and newsletters from Chapter 16; articles on the history of the AARN in Alberta; publications from the AARN including Nursing Legislation, the 1989 Rainbow Report which detailed the provincial government’s vision for health care in the province, and a group of photographs illustrating the medical and nursing history of Grande Prairie.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records donated by Barbara Bragg, member of the Grande Prairie Chapter of the AARN.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession numbers: 1969.42; 1999.45

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0034

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area