Alberta Coal Branch

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Alberta Coal Branch

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Alberta Coal Branch is the term used to describe an area along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains southwest of Edson, Alberta. Coal was first discovered in this area in 1906 but no stakes were claimed until 1909, when John Gregg first staked what became known as Mountain Park. In the coming years many more stakes were claimed by various people and companies. Towns such as Robb, Luscar, Lovett, Sterco, Cadomin, Mercoal, Diss, Foothills, Coalspur, Shaw and Leyland were a result of these coal discoveries. A spur line off the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway out of Edson was built in 1912 to service the many small towns and coal mines. This Rail line came to be known as the "Coal Branch.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

edson

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places