Fonds med-77 - Alberta Foundry and Machine Company Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alberta Foundry and Machine Company Limited fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of records.

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA MED med-77

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1990 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alberta Foundry and Machine Company

Physical description area

Physical description

72 cm of textual records. -- 44 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Alberta Foundry and Machine Co. Ltd. was founded in September of 1911, by John Edward Davies (1904-1951). At the first Shareholder's meeting in 1911, H.C. Yuill was elected President, John Davies became Secretary, and Herbert MacDougall became the Vice President until he retired in June of 1913. Vernon W. Parrish was then appointed as the Foundry's second Vice President. The company was formed to manufacture items such as steel rails, catch basins, manhole covers, lamp posts, valves, hydrants, pumps and mining machinery as well as farm implements. By 1913, the plant was in full operation employing between 30 to 37 men. By April of 1913, employees had increased to 40 with an annual payroll of $25,000. In 1916, J.E. Davies was appointed President, V.W. Parrish, Secretary/Treasurer and G.B. Davies, Vice President. During the First World War, the foundry was kept busy manufacturing shells. After the armistice, the plant experienced a period of decline, and it was leased to the Canadian Farm Implement Co. This company produced the "Canadian Tractor" and rod-weeders. The company experienced a lull until 1940, and when World War II intensified, the plant was again reverted to a munitions manufacturing center. The plant had received orders form the Department of Munitions and Supply to manufacture shells and by 1942, was completely devoted to war production. At that time, it employed 150 people, working 20 hours per day; 2 ten hour shifts. By March of 1945, it had turned out a total of 525,335 shells with orders to produce another 78,000. In July 1945, with the end of the war in sight, the company was ordered to dismantle, clean and crate the machinery used to manufacture the shells and ship it to Winnipeg for storage. T. McAvity and Sons (Western) Ltd. bought the foundry in 1955. At that time, the employees were down to 12, but by 1959, the plant was back in full production and employees numbered 49. On an average, hydrants were produced at a rate of 12 per day. On August 1, 1960, Crane Canada Ltd. bought the plant and it became known as the "McAvity Division." Later it was known as McAvity Products or the Valves and Industrial Division of Crane Canada Ltd. In 1982, the plant increased with the introduction of an electric melting furnace, thus replacing the cupola furnaces run by coke. In December 1990, the company was bought by Clow Canada and continues to make fire hydrants and municipal castings.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of: a Certificate of Incorporation (1911); cash and payroll book (1911-1917); various war order contracts and associated documents between the Foundry and the Department of Munitions and Supply (1941-1945); Memorandum of Association (1911); Minute Books (1911-1922); copied page from Minute Book showing Canadian Farm Implements take over in 1923. Asset Ledgers (1955-82), Customer Ledger (1950-60), Accounts Payable Ledger (1929-59); images of various scenes at Alberta Foundry and Machine Co., Canadian Farm Implements, Connaught School, and Sarnia Ranch.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gifts of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Grant, July 1959, and November 18, 1971. 0525 -- Unknown donor. 0595 -- Gift of Mrs. Ruth Heckbert, June 3, 1989.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • Materials are in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

M85.45.1-.2, M76.4.8, M78.29.1, M84.1.26, Clippings File. Biography File. Medicine Hat News Special Edition 1913. FP 595.1

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. M2004.20;M75.20.1;M71.362 - .381;M70.78;M59.1.1-.2;P 0040;P 0525.0122;P 0595<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area