Title and statement of responsibility area
Alberta Women's Institute. Angus Ridge Branch fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1917 - 1995 (Creation)
- Alberta Women's Institute. Angus Ridge Branch
Physical description area
1.2 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first Women's Institute in Alberta was established in Lea Park in 1909 by private citizens. It was this group that urged the government to officially establish Women's Institutes in the province. In 1912, Roberta MacAdams, a home economist from Ontario, was asked by Alberta's Department of Agriculture to survey the needs of women in the province. Her report led to the development of Women's Institutes as a government- sponsored program. The functions of the institutes were to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by means of studying home economics and child welfare. The Alberta Women's Institutes were composed of local branches from communities throughout Alberta and had as its aim the betterment of life for both home and country. Branches of the Women's Institutes were provincially organized in 1915, and officially incorporated under the Alberta Women's Institutes Act of 1916. The Angus Ridge Women's Institute was organized May 27, 1917 to serve the women of the district of Angus Ridge, just to the south of the City of Wetaskiwin. Over the course of its history, the Angus Ridge Women's Institute aided women in the learning the skills of sewing, dress making, cooking, aided members in understanding the fundamentals of livestock and agriculture and took part in activities put on by the Provincial Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute such as lectures, short course schools, traveling and other libraries, exhibitions, competitions, meetings, conventions and attractions.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of materials created by the Angus Ridge Women's Institute in the district of Angus Ridge, Alberta from 1917-1995. Fonds includes these series: 1. Administrative (1917-1979) Series includes minutes, financial records and membership lists for the Angus ridge Women's Institute. 2. Scrapbooks (1963-1984) Series consists of scrapbooks containing news clippings, photographs, correspondence, and other materials pertaining to the Institute. 3. Programs (1959; 1985-1995) Series contains programs created by the Angus Ridge branch of the Alberta Women's Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from the Alberta Women's Institute, Angus Ridge Branch, in 1995 and 2000.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected but not scheduled.
For further information on the Angus Ridge Women's Institute see Community History, a history of the Angus Ridge district compiled by the Angus Ridge Women's Institute. A copy is available for use in the reference room of the City of Wetaskiwin Archives.<br><br>Record No. 95.22; 00.26; 00.33<br><br>