Fonds paa-6405 - Alberta Women's Institute sous-fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alberta Women's Institute sous-fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Alberta Statutes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PAA paa-6405

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906-1930 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alberta. Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development

Physical description area

Physical description

0.11 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Dates of Founding and /or Dissolution:;The Alberta Women's Institute was organized provincially in 1915. Officially it was established in 1916. The Alberta Women's Institute became independent of the government in 1929. Functional Responsibility:;The function of the institutes were to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by means of studying home economics and child welfare. Institutes were established as social and educational community centres and points to welcome newcomers into the community. The institutes functioned to encourage agriculture and improve agricultural conditions. The institutes also held, established and maintained demonstrations, lectures, short course schools, traveling and other libraries, exhibitions, competitions, meeting, conventions and attractions that may have been useful in promoting their other function (S.A. Chapter 21, 1916). Predecessor and Successor Bodies:;The Women's Institute Act 1929, (S.A. Chapter 6, 1929) repealed and replaced the Women's Institute Act (R.S.A.1922). At this point the Women's Institutes no longer reported to the Alberta Government. However, the corporation was subject to government regulations. In 1928, the Alberta Women's Bureau would carry on the function of co-ordinating activities for women's groups in the province. Administrative Relationships:;The first Women's Institute was established in Lea Park in 1909. This group urged the government to officially establish women's institutes in the province. The first Superintendent for Women's Institutes was appointed in 1912 and was responsible to the Superintendent of Fairs and Institutes. The Women's Institutes later became the Women's Institute Branch in the Department of Agriculture. In 1919, the Women's Institute Act was amended to include provisions for the establishment of Women's Institute Girl's Clubs. In 1922, the Women's Institute Branch was dissolved and the functions absorbed by the Women's Extension Service Branch. The Women's Institute Act, 1929, repealed the Women's Institute Act (R.S.A. Chapter 165, 1922). At this point the Women's Institutes became independent of the government. Administrative Structure:;The Superintendent of Women's Institutes was appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council. Each Institute was incorporated until the 1929 legislation incorporated the collective women's institutes as a whole, under one name. The Alberta Women's Institutes at yearly conventions also elected a president and board to preside over Women's Institutes provincially. The president of the provincial board reported to the Superintendent. Each institute was legislated to have a president, two vice-presidents, a secretary, a treasurer and two auditors. Officers of the institutes were elected. The Lieutenant Governor in Council could also appointed officers. Names of Chief Officers:;Presidents of the Alberta Women's Institutes. Isobel Noble, 1915 to 1921, J. N. Beaubier, 1922 to 1924, Wellington Huyck, 1925 to 1928, H. J. Montgomery, 1929 to 1930

Custodial history

Scope and content

Consists of one series, Operational Records form 1906 to 1930.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Subject to the Copyright Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids are available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area