Fonds wet-86 - Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

WET wet-86

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1947 - 1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first Women's Institute in Alberta was established in Lea Park in 1909 by private citizens. It was this group that urged the government to officially establish Women's Institutes in the province. In 1912, Roberta MacAdams, a home economist from Ontario, was asked by Alberta's Department of Agriculture to survey the needs of women in the province. Her report led to the development of Women's Institutes as a government-sponsored program. The functions of the institutes were to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by means of studying home economics and child welfare. The Alberta Women's Institutes were composed of local branches from communities throughout Alberta and had as its aim the betterment of life for both home and country. Branches of the Women's Institutes were provincially organized in 1915, and officially incorporated under the Alberta Women's Institutes Act of 1916. The Wang Branch (located in the district of Wang to the north-east of Wetaskiwin) of the Alberta Women's Institute was formed in 1947 with Mrs. Jessie Kjos as the first president. Over the course of its history, the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute aided women in learning skills such as sewing, dress making and cooking; assisted members in understanding the fundamentals of livestock and agriculture; and took part in activities put on by the Provincial Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute. These activities included lectures, short course schools, travelling and other libraries, exhibitions, competitions, meetings, and conventions.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of materials created by the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute from 1947-1958. Fonds consists of this series: 1. Minutes (1947-1958) Series consists of minute books containing administrative information concerning meetings of the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute in 1994.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. 94.50<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres