Title and statement of responsibility area
Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1947 - 1958 (Vervaardig)
- Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch
10 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The first Women's Institute in Alberta was established in Lea Park in 1909 by private citizens. It was this group that urged the government to officially establish Women's Institutes in the province. In 1912, Roberta MacAdams, a home economist from Ontario, was asked by Alberta's Department of Agriculture to survey the needs of women in the province. Her report led to the development of Women's Institutes as a government-sponsored program. The functions of the institutes were to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by means of studying home economics and child welfare. The Alberta Women's Institutes were composed of local branches from communities throughout Alberta and had as its aim the betterment of life for both home and country. Branches of the Women's Institutes were provincially organized in 1915, and officially incorporated under the Alberta Women's Institutes Act of 1916. The Wang Branch (located in the district of Wang to the north-east of Wetaskiwin) of the Alberta Women's Institute was formed in 1947 with Mrs. Jessie Kjos as the first president. Over the course of its history, the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute aided women in learning skills such as sewing, dress making and cooking; assisted members in understanding the fundamentals of livestock and agriculture; and took part in activities put on by the Provincial Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute. These activities included lectures, short course schools, travelling and other libraries, exhibitions, competitions, meetings, and conventions.
Bereik en inhoud
The fonds consists of materials created by the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute from 1947-1958. Fonds consists of this series: 1. Minutes (1947-1958) Series consists of minute books containing administrative information concerning meetings of the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute
Directe bron van verwerving
Donated by the Wang Branch of the Alberta Women's Institute in 1994.
Taal van het materiaal
- The material is in English.
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Record No. 94.50<br><br>
Standard number area
- Alberta Women's Institute. Wang Branch (Onderwerp)