Title and statement of responsibility area
Alberta Women's Institute. Wetaskiwin Branch fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1915 - 1984 (Creation)
- Alberta Women's Institute. Wetaskiwin Branch
Physical description area
25 cm of textual records -- 1 photograph
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The idea of Women's Institute was to give rural women a forum in which they could learn things that would be of benefit to themselves and their families and to play a charitable role in the community and the world. Their motto is "For Home and Country." Women's Institute began in Ontario and grew rapidly. Mrs. H.J. Montgomery was Constituency Governor of the Alberta WI and helped organize the group in Wetaskiwin in May of 1915. Mrs. Montgomery was President, Mrs. Robertson, 1st Vice President, Mrs. Rubbra, 2nd Vice President and Mrs. Enman, Secretary-Treasurer. There were membership fees, part of which went to the Provincial and national organizations. A series of activities commenced including classes on cooking, sewing, canning and other household duties. Speakers were also brought in to give insight on Canadian and world affairs and other topics of interest. The members did Red Cross work, sewed ditty bags, knit, and raised funds to buy a billiard table for the Convalescent Hospital in the old Prince of Wales Hotel.
Gift of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute in 1979,Mrs. Helen Merner, the estate of Mrs. Agnes Nelson in 1994, and Mrs. Elvira Johnson in 1994. Mrs. Merner's mother was Mrs. Switzer. Mrs. Switzer, Mrs. Nelson, and Mrs. Johnson were all longtime members and executives of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of materials relating to the administration and social activities of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute from 1915- 1984. The fonds consists of series: 1. Administrative (1915- 1984) Series consists of minutes and financial records of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute. 2. Scrapbooks (1966- 1980) Series consists of four scrapbooks detailing social events and other materials related to the Wetaskiwin Women's institute. 3. Photograph (ca.1915) Series consists of a photograph of the membership of the Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute in 1979,Mrs. Helen Merner, the estate of Mrs. Agnes Nelson in 1994, and Mrs. Elvira Johnson in 1994. Mrs. Merner's mother Mrs. Switzer,Mrs. Nelson and Mrs. Johnson were all longtime members and executives of the Wetaskiwin Women's Institute.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Record No. 79.10; 89.51; 94.15; 94.20<br><br>