Title and statement of responsibility area
Anderson family fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of records.
Level of description
CA MED med-15
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anderson (family)
Physical description area
1.75 m of textual records. -- 30 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Dr. Winfred George Anderson was born in Ontario, on January 4, 1881. He graduated from Western University in London, Ontario in 1903, and served as House Surgeon for St. Joseph's Hospital until moving west to Alberta in 1904. There he took up the practice of medicine in partnership with two other young Doctors in a town called Leavings, known today as Granum. In addition, the threesome opened a drug store to better serve their patients. While in Granum, Dr. Anderson met and married Agnes Ovens. They had 3 children: Bob, Jack and Lee. Since his health was not holding up to the strain of general practice, Dr. Anderson purchased some land north of the Red Deer River in the Wardlow district, to try the homesteading lifestyle. The early years on the ranch were very busy but Dr. Anderson always found time to help those in need of his medical services. Aside from his wonderful sense of humor, Dr. Anderson's talents included building and writing. He built a very large ranch house on the family homestead and in 1935, wrote a classic speech addressed to the Brooks Board of Trade. Later, in 1964, he wrote a series of articles for The Brooks Bulletin on his friend "Happy Jack" Jackson. While sheep, cattle and fox farming, Dr. Anderson also kept informed of changes in the medical field. He served as Council Representative and later, President of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, and served on the Council of the Canadian Medical Association from 1937 to 1940. He and his wife retired to Medicine Hat in the early 1950's. During his retirement he worked hard to persuade the Department of Lands and Mines of the Dominion government to set aside the vast "Bad Lands" as a national park. Today, as a result, we have what is known as Dinosaur Park. Dr. Anderson died on February 4, 1966 at age 85. Jack Anderson was born in Wardlow, Alberta. He came to Medicine Hat in 1945, as District Agriculturist. He started the 4-H movement in Medicine Hat, and was very active in many other organizations. He received many awards, some of which include recognition from the Canadian Cancer Society, 17 Years of Service on the Medicine Hat Planning Commission, the Medicine Hat Chamber of Commerce and Distinguished Agrologist Award. Jack served as a director of the Medicine Hat Stampede Company for many years and the Livestock Pavilion was named in his honour. He and his wife Freda had two children, Lynda and Lorne. Jack Anderson died February 26, 1988.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of: "Canadian Cattlemen" (1938-1976); Certificates of Regulation, permits and licenses for use of Rifles and Shotguns, driving, and liquor possession, medical examination for J.L. Anderson (1931-1956); gasoline licenses and ration books (4) (1943/44, 1944/45, undated); dance cards for University of Alberta dances (10) (1935-1938); booklets entitled "Four Year Diary-Senior Class '45" University of Alberta (1945); "S.A.R. Officer's Mess Rules and Regulations" (1951); "Individual and Team Bowling Record" (undated); various booklets re: dryland farming, country medicine, and veteran settlement (1929-1970); various dinner programs, military, medical University of Alberta (1903-1975); programs for Annual Meeting of Agricultural Institute of Canada (1947); letter to "Doc" Anderson from Jupp Kassel, former Prisoner of War (POW) (1947); letter to Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve re: Jack Anderson (1942); tissue and envelope imprinted with caricature of Hitler's face and words "Wipe Out Hitler" ([ca. 1940]); O.S. Notice of Public Auction for cattle, farm equipment and household effects of W.G. Anderson (1948); 1 collage of 39 portraits of the Moorhouse Scoundrels (1912) and images of agricultural scenes, family members and views of Granum.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gifts of Jack Anderson, July 1975 and March 1977, and of Lynn Morrison, August 25, 1993. 0283 -- Gift of Mr. Jack Anderson, May 21, 1976 and August 25, 1993. 0699 -- Gift of Lynda Morrison, Ladysmith, B.C.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Glenbow Archives hold the Canadian Cattlemen's Association Fonds, as well as a large collection of medical artifacts and materials formerly owned by Dr. W.G. Anderson, a number of which were used in a display entitled, "The Country Doctor".
Record No. M93.48.1-.16;M77.26;M77.21;M76.9;P 0283;P 0699<br><br>