Archief Fonds 4 - Andrew Hamilton Gault fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Andrew Hamilton Gault fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

referentie code

PPCLI Fonds 4

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1914-1974 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    Gault, Andrew Hamilton

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(1882-1958)

Biografie

Andrew Hamilton “Hammie” Gault, 1882-1958, was descended from an Anglo-Irish merchant family which settled in Montreal in 1842 and became dominant players in Canadian textile manufacturing, insurance, finance, and politics. After attending Bishop's College School in Lennoxville and one year at McGill University, Gault joined the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles and served with distinction as a subaltern until the end of the South African War in 1901. He continued to serve with the Canadian militia, eventually becoming a captain with the 5th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch of Canada). Following the death of his father in 1903, he assumed control of Gault Brothers and Company, the family cotton manufacturing firm. He married Marguerite Stephens in 1904. Gault was appointed honorary Consul General for Sweden in 1909-1911, and was a member of the council for the Montreal Board of Trade, 1911-1913. Upon the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, he offered to finance the raising of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). He was appointed Senior Major and Second-in-Command of the Regiment. He was wounded three times, losing his left leg, which effectively ended his active service in the field. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel and Commanding Officer of PPCLI in November 1918. For his service in the Great War, Gault was awarded the Order of the British Empire, the Russian Order of St. Anne with Crossed Swords and the Belgian Order of the Crown. He was Mentioned in Dispatches four times and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for gallantry. Following the war, Gault was married in 1922 for a second time, to Dorothy Blanche “D.B.” Shuckburgh. Between the two world wars they lived at Hatch Court, near Taunton, Somerset, England, an estate that Hamilton purchased from Dorothy's aunt. They enjoyed aviation as a hobby. Gault served as a Conservative Member of Parliament for Taunton from 1924 to 1935. In 1939 he was recalled for active duty with the Canadian Army in England and was promoted to the rank of Colonel in 1940 and to Brigadier General in 1942. He returned to his Canadian home at Mont St. Hilaire in Quebec in 1944. In 1947 Gault founded the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Association and served as the first National President. He was appointed honorary Colonel of the Regiment shortly before his death on 28 November 1958. Following his death, Dorothy Gault returned to Hatch Court, where she died in 1972. Hatch Court became the home of Dorothy’s niece Anne and her husband, Cdr. Barry Nation, who operated a small museum there dedicated to the history of Gault and the PPCLI. For further information see: First in the field : Gault of the Patricias / by Jeffery Williams. – St. Catharines, Ont. : Vanwell Pub., 1995.

Geschiedenis beheer

The Hatch Court Museum records were in the possession of John Townson, great nephew of Hamilton Gault and transferred to the Regimental Museum by Jeffery Williams of Somerset England.

Bereik en inhoud

The fonds consists of correspondence, special orders of the day, books, log books, manuals, posters, photo albums, scrapbooks, photographs and maps related to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and A. Hamilton Gault's life and his service with the Regiment. Textual records include correspondence concerning the Regimental History Book Volumes I and II, a recruit poster, unit roster, costing lists for infantry, the Constitution and Rules of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, a homecoming poster, newsclippings detailing the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in the First World War, 2 memorial books for soldiers of the First War, a visitor's book from Mont St. Hilaire and Hatch Court, pilot's log books, journey log books and 10 issues of "The Patrician" 1959-1974. Photographic material includes Gault's visit to Winnipeg, 1939, Lady Patricia Ramsay's visit to the troops in England, 1940, the review of the First Battalion by Lady Patricia Ramsay, 1953, Trooping the Colour, 1958, Presentation of New Colours, 1959 and 1971, Trooping in Germany, 1970, battle field memorials, the Hamilton Gault Trophy presentation and Hamilton Gault's funeral in 1958.

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

Gift of John Townson, 1995, 2001.

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on the records.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

An item list is available.

Associated materials

See also Collection 1, the PPCLI Association collection, classification no. 10 ("The Founder").

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Further accruals are expected.

Algemene aantekening

Built of Bath stone in 1750 by Thomas Prowse of Axbridge, Hatch Court is located near Tauton in Somerset England. It was purchased by Gault after World War One and he and his wife Dorothy lived there until 1944 when they returned to Canada to live at his estate on Mont St. Hilaire, near Montreal. Gault's wife's family continued to live on the estate and created a Museum dedicated to the life and career of Hamilton Gault. In 1983 the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum and Archives loaned some items for display in the Museum and when the family placed the estate up for sale in 2001 these items among others were returned to the Regimental Museum and Archives. The Originals were the first 1098 soldiers to form the Regiment and most had previous military service. These would also have been the first Canadians to join the fighting in France in December 1914.

Record No. 95.10;01.94;02.38

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

andrew-hamilton-gault-fonds

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Niveau van detaillering

Taal van de beschrijving

  • Engels

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres