Fonds 0067 - Appleton School District 2818 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Appleton School District 2818 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0067

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1938 (Creation)
    Creator
    Appleton School District 2818

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1913-[ca.1950])

Administrative history

Appleton School District was located in the Beaverlodge Valley on the east side of the river. The first log school was built in 1913; Jim Cory of Halcourt was the builder, aided by volunteers. John Appel, a local homesteader, advanced the necessary money to complete the building and the school was named Appleton in his honor. Miss Margaret MacNaught was the first teacher, followed by Daisy Dixon, Newton Grimmett, Alberta Elcome, Judd Perry, Euphemia MacNaught and Jean O'Brien. In 1921 the school was moved two miles to the northwest. There a stable and ice house were built and a well was drilled. The school was also used for church services and as a facility for the Community Club. In 1941, a lumber building replaced the old log school. Appleton was closed under consolidation in the late 40s.

Custodial history

The Appleton District School Board handed their records in to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of school board minutes from April 1926 to January 1938.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The Appleton District School Board handed their records in to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.39

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0067

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres