Fonds 0357 - The Argonauts Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

The Argonauts Limited fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0357

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-1937 (Creation)
    Creator
    The Argonauts Limited

Physical description area

Physical description

9 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1909-1922)

Administrative history

The Argonauts Limited company was formed in 1909 by partners Wm. A. Rae, Robert McQuarrie, Charles Spencer, C. Byar, Edwin Simpson, John Sutherland, and W.H. Carter. W.A. Rae, the general manager, was also the secretary-treasurer. He was assisted by Alphaeus Patterson, president, and T.M. Hadman, vice-president. Other shareholders included Henry Roberts, Alfred Marfleet, Job Hamilton, Neil Campbell, Arthur Gill, Allen Parker and Charlie Dunlop. Late in 1909, Jack Sutherland was sent north to the Grande Prairie area to determine whether the southern half of the S ½ 26-71-6-W6th, along the Canadian Northern Railway survey, was suitable for a town site. Upon his favourable report, the company purchased 80 acres of the land, and in 1910 had it sub-divided into town lots by Dominion Land Surveyor Walter McFarlane. These were promoted and sold by the Grande Prairie Townsite Company, of which W.A. Rae was also secretary. When the Arognauts Limited secured its charter in 1910, the partners decided that they should also take in a sawmill. The procession of twelve teams carrying a steamer and all the equipment needed for the mill started from Edmonton on February 12, 1910 and a month later had made it as far as the Simonette River. Here they were stranded by early break-up of the rivers until they could raft it up the rivers. The mill was finally set up in the virgin timbers of the Wapiti River valley to provide lumber for the first buildings in Grande Prairie City. Grande Prairie City grew rapidly, attracting other developers on parcels of land surrounding the original townsite. The village was incorporated in 1914, and by 1919 had the requisite 1000 residents for a town. A few years later, in 1922, The Argonauts disbanded. A great number of their lots were still unsold, and these were distributed to the shareholders on the basis of three dollars worth of property for each dollar of capital shares held.

Custodial history

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Public Library with Charles Spencer's book collection in 1952. In 2008, GPPL passed them on to South Peace Regional Archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of three Counter Sales books and a 1916 Report of the Storage Possibilities of Bear Lake and Power Possibilities of Bear Creek which reflect the activities of The Argonauts Limited. The first of the Sales books, labeled as originally belonging to W.A. Rae and dated 1910-1915, appears to record Company expenses and lot sales, wages, lumber orders for the sawmill, food purchases for the camp and sales of clothing to workers. The second Counter Sales book, dated 1911-1914 and 1922, contains some of the same records as well as Customer Accounts. The third book, stamped The Argonauts Limited, contains similar records for 1915-1917, but also includes insurance sales and insurance vacancy permits for 1936-1937. Since the Argonauts had disbanded by then, this may be the records of Charles Spencer's Prairie City Agency. The report on Bear Creek and Bear Lake, conducted by the Department of the Interior, includes correspondence directed to W.A. Rae, and 20 photographs of Bear Creek and Bear Lake.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

These records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by the Grande Prairie Public Library on February 12, 2008.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2008.007

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0357

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres