Fonds med-19 - Armstrong family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Armstrong family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of records.

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA MED med-19

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1935, predominant 1920-1935 (Creation)
    Creator
    Armstrong (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

8 cm of textual records. -- 43 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Armstrong family, headed by father Robert Goodfellow Armstrong and mother Euphemia (nee Miller), are among the early pioneering families to settle in the Medicine Hat area. Robert Armstong, having graduated from the Veterinary School at Agricultural Hall, Toronto, in June 1872, also attained the rank of Captain in the militia, and was also referred to as "Doc" or "Captain". Married on June 26, 1876, the Armstrong's were blessed with five children; Peter Robert (1877-1926), Katherine Somerville (1878-1963), George Miller (1880-1965), William Goodfellow (1882-1968), and Fannie Elizabeth (born and died March 28, 1890). In 1893, Euphemia Armstrong passed away. Robert later remarried to Elizabeth (nee Callard) (1870-1938), and two more Armstrong children were born; John Edward (1909-1961), and Marjorie Helena (1911-?). The exact year which the Armstrong's moved west is unclear. It is believed that the eldest son, Peter, came to the Fort Walsh area around 1895, seeking employment with horse ranchers who were known by his father. George, William and Katherine soon followed, (ca 1897). Their father eventually applied for homestead near Reesor Lake on Sec. 32, Tnsp. 8, Rg. 1, W4th, in 1900. By 1906, the elder Armstrong abandoned the Cypress Hills ranch, and relocated to Macklin, Saskatchewan. By 1918, the Armstrong parents had returned to their original property in Ontario. Brothers Peter, George and William were employed with several Cypress Hills ranchers, among them were Sam and William Fawcett of the East and West Ranch. Vowing to keep the family together, sister Katherine helped to maintain house and home until her marriage to Frederick McLaughlin in June 16, 1906. Eventually, the brothers married; Peter to Etta Porter in June 1923, George to Annie Zwick in November 2, 1922, and Will to Winnifreth Beal Browne in 1913, and later to Helen Margery Browne, in 1949. William took up farming at Central Butte, Saskatchewan. In 1913, Peter and George became owners of the East and West Ranch. Following Peter's death in 1926, George assumed the responsibilities of the entire ranch until his three sons, Robert, Peter and Arnold took over in 1947. This partnership was dissolved in 1982. Peter still manages the "home place", while brother Robert, manages his Bassano land.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of: diaries of Frederick and Katherine McLaughlin (1907-1909); account book of East and West Ranch and Company (1920-1935); images of various ranch scenes at Sounding Lake and Maple Creek, and of the Armstrong family.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Copies obtained through loan from Peter Armstrong, March 1984 and July 1985. 0713 -- Gift and copies obtained from originals loaned by Kerrie Kusler, December 1994.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Refer also to the local history book "Cypress Hills Country"; PC534

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. M85.33;M84.34;P 0097.0001;P 0454.0001-0016;P 0713.001-0026<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres