File Ath 10.21 - Athabasca Community Economic Development Committee (CEDC)

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Athabasca Community Economic Development Committee (CEDC)

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description



Reference code

CA ATH ATH-TA-Ath 10.21

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

.5 cm text

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911 to present)

Administrative history

In the spring of 1874, in support of the fur trade, a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) scout surveyed the terrain between Fort Edmonton and the elbow of the Athabasca River, 100 miles to the north, to assess an alternative route to Lesser Slave Lake. Chief Factor Richard Hardisty reported the results of this preliminary survey to his superior, Donald Smith at Fort Garry, indicating that a passable road could be made. It was completed by 1877 and the Athabasca Landing Trail became the main route to the Peace Country. In 1877, the HBC built a log storage shed which doubled as a temporary dwelling and the elbow became known as Athabasca Landing. In 1882, steamboat captain Louisson Fosseneuve demonstrated that the Athabasca river rapids north of Pelican Portage could be navigated by scow and portage. Each spring while the river thawed, Cree and Métis labourers were hired at the Landing to construct scows to transport goods down the Athabasca River to Ft McMurray. European and Métis crews also piloted steamboats between Lesser Slave Lake and Athabasca Landing. The HBC built a retail store, warehouse, and factor’s residence in 1886-87. By Municipal Amendment Ordinance, 1901, the Town of Athabasca Landing was incorporated by Proclamation on September 19, 1911. The first Canadian Northern Railway train from Edmonton arrived on May 25, 1912 and a class B train station was completed by December, 1912. The word Landing was officially deleted from the name of the town on August 5, 1913.

Custodial history

Athabasca CEDC

Scope and content

Final report of the Athabasca Community Economic Development Committee's Business Retention Survey. The Athabasca Community Economic Development Committee was a joint committee of the Town of Athabasca and Athabasca County.

Notes area

Physical condition


Immediate source of acquisition

Athabasca CEDC


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Ath 10.21

Institution identifier


Rules or conventions


Level of detail


Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres