Fonds 0577 - Baldur School District #4349 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Baldur School District #4349 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0577

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1928-1938 (Creation)
    Creator
    Baldur School District #4349

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1928-1955)

Administrative history

Baldur School operated for 10 years in the Poplar Hill area of Hythe, not far from Bush Lake. It was named after a hero in Norse Mythology, as were the nearby districts of Valhalla and Odin. The first organizational meeting was in 1928, and the school was started that fall by volunteer labour. By Christmas of 1929, the school was ready and a teacher was hired, Mary Lewis. Through the depression which followed, the community struggled to keep the school open and teachers hired. Two of the earliest teachers were Agnes Loberg and Alice Stolee. The school closed in June 1955 and the students bussed to Hythe or Valhalla thereafter.

Custodial history

Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book and a few loose pages detailing the decisions made by the Baldur School District for the years 1928-1938, as well as accounts, tax assessment, and declarations of office.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

These records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives on February 6, 2013, by the County of Grande Prairie No. 1.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2013.006

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0577

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres