Fonds pfla-2083 - Banff Centre for the Arts Administration fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Banff Centre for the Arts Administration fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

pfla pfla-2083

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-1991 (Creation)
    Creator
    Banff Centre for the Arts Administration

Physical description area

Physical description

25 m of textual records. -- 43 audio cassettes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Banff School of Fine Arts was founded in 1936 to continue the Intensive Summer Course in the Arts Related to the Theatre, established in 1933 by the University of Alberta Department of Extension, and the landscape drawing program of the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art. Faculty in Divisions of Theatre, Music, and Art offered three- and four- week summer courses housed in elementary and secondary school facilities in Banff until the St. Julien site was acquired and developed after 1946. Beginning in 1938, a series of public lectures, recitals, theatrical productions, and exhibits was offered in conjunction with summer courses, officially named the Banff Festival of the Arts in 1971. A program in Ballet was introduced in 1947, followed by photography (1950), figure skating (1962), music theatre (1964), and theatre craft and design (1970). In 1973, the summer session was extended to 12 weeks and the winter program in Visual Arts was established, leading to the general full year-round program in 1979. New programs and services added after this period include: Extension (1979), Inter - Arts (1980), Electronic and Film Media (1981), Publishing (1981), Media Arts (1989), and Aboriginal Arts (1994) programs. In 1995, Centre program objectives were revised to emphasize individual research projects, experimentation, and creation of new works in addition to offering professional development and training programs. Trusteeship of the School remained with the University of Alberta between 1936 and 1966 and with the University of Calgary from 1966 to 1978. In 1970 the School became one of three Divisions of the Banff Centre for Continuing Education, which became an autonomous non-degree granting educational institution governed by The Banff Centre Act of Alberta in 1978. In 1989 the School was renamed The Banff Centre for the Arts. The School was administered by a single Director until an Associate Director was appointed in 1958. Between 1972 and 1977 responsibilities for Performing Arts and Visual Arts were divided between two separate management units, followed by the appointment of individual program Managers in 1978. In 1981 an office of Director of Administration was established, renamed Director of Operations in 1992, and combined with the office of the Registrar in 1994. In 1995 all programs were regrouped into four divisions: Music and Sound, Media and Visual Arts, Theatre Arts, and Writing and Publishing, each with its own Director. Senior personnel include Donald Cameron (Director, 1936-1969), Ken Madsen (Associate Director and Manager, 1958-1971; Manager of Visual Arts, 1972-1977), Neil Armstrong (Associate Director and Manager of Performing Arts, 1972-1977; Manager, 1978-1991), Garth Henderson (Director of Administration, 1981-1993), Paul Fleck (Director, 1991-1992), Carol Philips (Vice President/Director, 1992-), and Gary Luthy (Director of Operations, 1994-).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of administrative files, program evaluations, audio recordings from the Access Radio program Work in Progress, and International Symposium of the Arts files.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some access restrictions may apply in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. Please consult the archivist for more details.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Records concerning individual programs and services are in Banff Centre for the Arts department fonds: Media and Visual Arts, Music and Sound, Theatre Arts, Writing and Publishing, French, Inter-Arts, Extension, Leighton Studios, Office of the Registrar, Technical Services, Community Services, Library and Archives, and Walter Phillips Gallery.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres