Title and statement of responsibility area
Beatrice Shand fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1929-1965, predominant 1938-1949 (Creation)
- Shand, Beatrice
Physical description area
31 cm of textual records. -- 126 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Beatrice E.G. Shand, 1888-1978, was born in Windsor, Nova Scotia, the eldest of five daughters. She was educated at Acadia Girls School and King's College, and then worked as a teacher in eastern Canada. In the early 1930s she was headmistress of the International School in Yokohama, Japan. In 1937 she moved to Calgary, Alberta where she served as headmistress of St. Hilda's School for Girls until it closed in 1949. During her time at St. Hilda's, the number of students increased from 82 to over 100, and the number of boarders from 11 to 39. She subsequently taught in Ottawa. She retired to Windsor, where her youngest sister, Katharine Shand, cared for her until her death.
Name of creator
Bow Valley School, a Protestant boarding school for girls, was opened in Calgary, Alberta in 1904. At the suggestion of Bishop Pinkham, it was moved to Anglican church property and renamed St. Hilda's College after the girl's school in England. The curriculum stressed the humanities with an emphasis on languages, social studies, art, music and religious instruction. Physical education featured tennis and gymnastics, and sewing and mending were taught on Saturdays. In 1924, it became a non-denominational school and changed its name to St. Hilda's School for Girls. Principals of the school included Mrs. Gerrie-Smith, Laura Shibly, Dorothy Cleveland, Sara Macdonald, and Beatrice Shand. Marion Chattey was the head matron for many years. The school closed in 1949. For further information see the chapter about St. Hilda's in Nil Nisi Optimum : The History of Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School / Sharon Mercer. -- Calgary : Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School, 2005, p. 8-31.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records related to her time as headmistress of St. Hilda's, including school diaries (1945-1949); "Ammonite" yearbooks (1938-1949); a scrapbook (1938-1944); her nature notebook (1929-1948); a guestbook (1944-1948); newsclippings; photographs of the school, students and school activities; exam results; a songbook; and a play written by Miss Shand.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of Virginia Churchill Smith, 1997-2005.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material.
Record No. M 8533;PA-3657<br><br>