Fonds menn-2 - Bergthal Mennonite Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bergthal Mennonite Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MENN menn-2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1927-2006, predominant 1969-2001. (Creation)
    Creator
    Bergthal Mennonite Church (Didsbury, Alta.)

Physical description area

Physical description

96 cm of textual records. - 16 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Bergthal Mennonite Church began its services in 1901 and formally organized in 1910. The first building was occupied in 1903, with a subsequent building program in 1948. Isaac Giesbrecht is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization by Manitoba Sommerfelder Mennonites. In 1912, they became affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada. In 1929, they became the first congregation in the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta, and became affiliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church (later reorganized as Mennonite Church Canada) in 1938. Until the 1960s, the language in use was German and it was known as the Bergthal Mennonitische Gemeinde, when there was a transition to the use of the English language and its current name. It is located 3 miles south and 9 miles east of Didsbury.

Custodial history

The records were transferred to the Mennonite Church Alberta.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of five series: A) Governance, B) Bulletins, C) Food Committee/Ladies Committee, D) Sunday School, E) Youth and other newsletters, and F) History book.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift by Mennonite Church Alberta through Henry Goerzen, MCA Archivist.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Records associated with the Bergthal Mennonite Church fonds held by Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg.

Related materials

Accruals

Expected

General note

Record No. 2002.017, 2008.011<br><br>

General note

Record no. 2002.017, 2008.011, and 2012.022 filed at 2002.017

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres