Fonds menn-45 - Bethel Mennonite Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bethel Mennonite Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MENN menn-45

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1955]-1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bethel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Man.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Bethel Mennonite Church began services in Winnipeg in 1937, and formally organized in 1946. It was originally known as Bethel Mennonite Mission. The first building was occupied in 1938, with subsequent building programs in 1945, 1955 and 1995. Benjamin Ewert is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through urbanization from rural Manitoba and outreach by the General Conference Mennonite Church. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba, Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1950-), and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1947-). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s. Pastors have been salaried since 1943. In 1950 there were 202 members; in 1965, 450; in 1975, 385; in 1985, 516; in 1995, 591; in 2000, 587.

Custodial history

The records were compiled by the Missions Committee of the Women's Missionary Society of the Bethel Mennonite Church in 1967. They came into the possession of Erna Klassen.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a collection of biographical sketches of missionaries (and Youth Opportunities Unlimited) in various geographic settings. All were commissioned through the General Conference Commission on Overseas Missions, which was responsible for mission efforts on behalf of Canadian and American General Conference members at that time.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift by Erna Klassen, Calgary, Alberta, 2003.

Arrangement

Arranged according to geographical area.

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Accruals are not expected.

General note

Administrative History information extracted from Canadian Mennonite Encyclopaedia.<br><br>Record No. Accession 2003.2<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area