Fonds 0070 - Bezanson School District 3302 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bezanson School District 3302 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0070

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1947 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bezanson School District 3302

Physical description area

Physical description

2.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1915-1951)

Administrative history

The Bezanson School District #3302 was organized in 1915 and school held in the Presbyterian log church at the top of the Smoky River hill above the town site, starting in 1916. Miss Ida Colby was the first teacher. In 1919, a lumber school was built on the southeast corner of NE 25-71-3 W6th, and named after A.M. Bezanson. The first teacher in the new school was Mrs. Todd. She was followed by Mae Bolonger and Mrs. Ida (Colby) Dewhirst. In 1925 the school was moved to NW 25-71-3 W6th. Mae Traynor, Martha Gudlaugson, Dorothy Goodland, Betty Willets, Lillian Hicks, Nancy French, Lucy Bonella, Gertie Clarkson, Hilda Muttart, Alma Ulmer, Beatrice Moir, Martha Knechtel, K.F. Philip, Laura Berg, Grace Ferris, Ruth Gibson, Lucy Jones, Margaret McNaught, Marion Muzyka, Marion Burgess, Jean McLaughlin, Phyllis Mattoon, Mary Tomshak, Allen Thronson, Vera Spence and Marie Ames were the teachers in this school. In 1950-51, teachers were difficult to obtain for small country schools so children did correspondence lessons under supervision. By this time, a new school had been built in the village of Bezanson, so some children transferred there. At the end of June 1951, the school was closed and the building sold and moved to Bezanson village, where it burned down a few years later.

Custodial history

The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one minute book and three daily registers from 1926-1927, 1932-1933, and 1946-1947.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

In 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.39

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0070

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres